Is the Sapphire Chef's Table still a disapointment

I read a receint thread that the chef's table was rather disapointing. I was wondering if this was still the case. I'm sailing 5/8 and would really like to try the chef's table but not if it is still as lack luster as reported earlier. I'm hoping that Princess read that review and made some changes.:confused:

:mad:

I read a receint thread that the chef's table was rather disapointing. I was wondering if this was still the case. I'm sailing 5/8 and would really like to try the chef's table but not if it is still as lack luster as reported earlier. I'm hoping that Princess read that review and made some changes.:confused:

Don't know who told you that. It's worth every penny...er dollar!!!

Ciao for now!!!

I too would appreciate an update on the Sapphire Chefs Table. My Wife and I would love to try this in 2 1/2 weeks but judging from the pictures in that thread it was not the same as the Chefs Table on other ships.

That is the only negative response I have read on a Chef's Table. We did ours on the Island last August and it was outstanding, and will do another on the Golden next month.

However, if something is not as it should be we will say something which is what you should do IMO.:eek:.

I too would appreciate an update on the Sapphire Chefs Table. My Wife and I would love to try this in 2 1/2 weeks but judging from the pictures in that thread it was not the same as the Chefs Table on other ships.

I would very much to like to know that too... If it isn't all that great, then I can skip it and save a few dollars... I would like to try it though... But that last threat scared me... If someone has done it recently, please let us know, one way or another, thank you!

Edited by funinla

Another opinion is by drsight who has a review posted for a Sapphire cruise in Feb 2010 and says

"make sure you go to the chef's table for a special treat...limited to just 12 persons...reserve early with jean marc ( he's in charge)..."

The review of the cruise is well balanced with positives and negatives.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63445

Edited by billet

I'd keep an eye out for other reviews between now and May when you leave, but if it were me, unless I read other reviews with explicit details that indicated changes had been made from what was documented as unsatisfactory, I would not risk my money or time. Not when there are 16 other ships that are doing excellent Chef's Tables.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to bother everyone with this question again and thanks in advance for any information you can provide! My Wife and I will be on the 3/27 sailing of the Sapphire in only SIX DAYS :p. We would both like to try the Chefs Table. However, with the negative reviews and experiences/pictures from those who tried it on her we don't want to waste our $$. Does anyone have any recent photos/reviews from their experience? We would really like to try it.

Thanks!

We were on the Feb. 13 Sapphire sailing and did the Chef's Table. We had been on the Sapphire the previous February and did our first Chef's Table then and were absolutely WOWed!!! So this year, we were so excited to do it again. Maybe it was doing it a second time, but I have to admit, we were not as WOWed.

One thing that was different, was the champagne and wine. The first year, our glasses were refilled as soon as we took a drink. We had so enjoyed this:-) This time we barely had 2 not-quite-half glasses of champagne and there was no more offered. And at the table, the wine was carefully rationed out also. Certainly we had the different wines, but the previous year, it really flowed. So that was a disappointment.

Now the food was quite good, but was almost exactly the same as the menu last year, which did not make it seem like it was specially designed by the chef, as this was a different chef. We had the same main course, as the person who wrote the review you read and I would agree that is was ok, but nothing we could not grill at home.

So we still had some good food and hate to complain about what was still good food, but we did not feel the experience was worth our $75 per person. There was just something lacking compared to what we had experienced the previous year. We are not likely to put out the money to do it again, unless we hear they are doing something different with the menus and not being stingy with the wine!

Having said that, if you've never experienced it, you would think it was just fine and if you've never had them fill your glasses like we had, you would think it was just fine also:-)

Pam

We were on the Feb. 13 Sapphire sailing and did the Chef's Table. We had been on the Sapphire the previous February and did our first Chef's Table then and were absolutely WOWed!!! So this year, we were so excited to do it again. Maybe it was doing it a second time, but I have to admit, we were not as WOWed.

One thing that was different, was the champagne and wine. The first year, our glasses were refilled as soon as we took a drink. We had so enjoyed this:-) This time we barely had 2 not-quite-half glasses of champagne and there was no more offered. And at the table, the wine was carefully rationed out also. Certainly we had the different wines, but the previous year, it really flowed. So that was a disappointment.

Now the food was quite good, but was almost exactly the same as the menu last year, which did not make it seem like it was specially designed by the chef, as this was a different chef. We had the same main course, as the person who wrote the review you read and I would agree that is was ok, but nothing we could not grill at home.

So we still had some good food and hate to complain about what was still good food, but we did not feel the experience was worth our $75 per person. There was just something lacking compared to what we had experienced the previous year. We are not likely to put out the money to do it again, unless we hear they are doing something different with the menus and not being stingy with the wine!

Having said that, if you've never experienced it, you would think it was just fine and if you've never had them fill your glasses like we had, you would think it was just fine also:-)

Pam

Glad to read your balanced, multiple-experience-based opinion. We look forward to our upcoming Sapphire cruise. We are considering adding the Chef's Table to our body of experience.

However, with the negative reviews and experiences/pictures from those who tried it on her we don't want to waste our $$. Does anyone have any recent photos/reviews from their experience? We would really like to try it.

We did the Chef's Table on Sapphie last Sept and it was a highlight of the cruise.

We talk about in on our dining podcast and on our web site (link in signature below). A few pictures are posted...I was too busy enjoying the food and wine to take too many pictures.

I would absolutely do this event again on any Princess ship.

Mike

We were on the March 6th sailing of the Sapphire. We were also aboard a year ago, same week. Wife and I were fortunate enough to make the Chef's table both of these cruises. The expierience was fantastic both times, and worth every dollar.

I agree with the above poster who felt that perhaps the Champagne and wine were not as free flowing between our first time and the second as far as refills without asking. We asked for more wine, and they brought it and offered it to the others as well.

The Maitre'd was Jean Paul and the head chef was Marchello, shame on me for forgetting their last names. They were very gracious and made for a great evening.

They said that they were doing it twice and for ten people each time. Tuesday and Wednesday evening beginning at seven twenty in the evening.

Grand Princess 30th November sailing - they were very stingy with the wine, they decanted a bottle of each type mentioned into a decanter and when it was gone - 12 people had to share it - it was gone. They only put just about a mouthful in your glass.

It was excellent wine, specially the dessert wine, just nowhere near enough.

Other than that it was a very good experience.

Just to chime in with the others - my DH and I enjoyed the Chef's Table on the 17OCT09 re-routed cruise to SFO, Catalina and San Diego on the Sapphire.

It was amazing and they did not skimp on wine, food or inner action with the guests.

We are going on the Emerald next Sunday with another couple, who have not enjoyed the Chef's Table, and we are dividing up the team as soon as we get on board - 2 are running to The Sanctuary and 2 are running to sign up for the Chef's Table!!!

It is our first priority - champagne on our balconies will wait.....:)

Edited by basor

It was this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142620&highlight=sapphire+chef and appears to have been an anomaly based on responses.

I wouldn't worry.

From looking at the posted pictures and reading the review, I'd be worried about Sapphire's CT, too. Their experience was the total opposite of our Chef's Table on the Ruby last April. I'd like to read a review of the Sapphire CT after the OP's cruise.

The difference between Aqua's Mom's review and other cruise reviews is that she

had the pictures to prove her point. So many people slam the cruise line with what

a horrible experience they had, and you can take it with a grain of salt.

Aqua's Mom had a disappointing experience and we know it to be a fact. Shame on

Princess for charging a premium for a mediocre experience. The worst is the built up

anticipation for what should be a stellar evening, and the realization that you're having

a totally underwhelming event.

Thanks for sharing........it will certainly make me think twice about the Chef's Table.

Mimi

A few of us are hoping to get the CT during the April 9th sailing from FLL.:)

I don't know if all of us will make it, but right now we are looking forward to a fun and enjoyable evening.:)

100% of people are never going to agree. And altho I have no numbers to back it up, I think 97% (at least) have found it to be a fantastic experience.:cool:

We had a wonderful Chef's Table on the Crown last year! But so much good food and not enough room in the stomach. :( We will be going next month on the Sapphire. I was thinking about trying it again. It was really special and the highlight of our cruise last time. Well worth the extra money.