Serenade Balcony/Lifeboat question

So, we wanted to book 2 balconies next to each other and one had to accommodate 3 people. There were very few options left for us and they all involved the deck 7 balconies that overlook the lifeboats. We are in 7648 and 7650. Has anyone else ever been in these? Is it really that bad? I don't mind not being able to look straight down but I've read that there have been workers outside their windows. Maybe this won't be a problem as we aren't late sleepers (even if we wanted to - we have a baby).

Can anyone state from experience?

Here is a picture of Radiance, sister to Serenade. As you can see there is a white canopy that covers the lifeboats. I believe that the canopy extends all the way forward as well as aft.

If they are going to be doing any work at all, you will get a letter in your cabin explaining what they will be doing and at what time.

2844364610037912873S500x500Q85.jpg

We jumped on a last minute cruise in January on the Serenade and the only balcony rooms left were on deck 7. We ended up in 7662 and I was really pleasantly surprised. Our balcony was very large but the edge near the railing was glass so you could see the people next door if they were out on the edge of their balcony. This never bothered me as none of my neighbors ever came out side. There is a white cover over the lifeboats so you cannot look directly down at the ocean but you can look straight out. We never saw anyone working outside our cabin and I spent a lot of time on my balcony.

Here is a picture of Radiance, sister to Serenade. As you can see there is a white canopy that covers the lifeboats. I believe that the canopy extends all the way forward as well as aft.

If they are going to be doing any work at all, you will get a letter in your cabin explaining what they will be doing and at what time.

2844364610037912873S500x500Q85.jpg

You are correct up to a point. The canopy does not go all the way forward and aft. If you check out deck plans for deck 7, the cabins forward and aft of the canopies have a much larger balcony than the other regular cabins, on that deck and decks above. (I know, because I had a balcony on deck 8 and could see those larger balconies below us. :( )

To the OP, my friends had a balcony where you will have yours, and they had no complaints.

Have a great cruise. You will LOVE the Serenade! She is our favorite ship.

Even if you can see the top of the lifeboat covers, it's NOT a big deal...you will still have a HUGE view out to sea....you don't need to be able to see the barnacles on the hull of the ship. Your view will be fine and unobstructed.

You are correct up to a point. The canopy does not go all the way forward and aft. If you check out deck plans for deck 7, the cabins forward and aft of the canopies have a much larger balcony than the other regular cabins, on that deck and decks above. (I know, because I had a balcony on deck 8 and could see those larger balconies below us. :( )

To the OP, my friends had a balcony where you will have yours, and they had no complaints.

Have a great cruise. You will LOVE the Serenade! She is our favorite ship.

Thanks for clarifying. I looked at the deck plans but wasn't sure......deck plans are never right.:o I do remember now friends that had a forward cabin on Deck 7 and loving their longer balcony.

I looked out at the canopy on my very first cruise. Not a big deal at all. I could still see out and hear the ocean waves. Everyone who has a balcony may get a worker outside their window at one time or another since they are always maintaining the ship. You will get a notice and it is best to make sure you don't leave anything out there when you are not in the cabin.

Enjoy!!!

Jen

My cousins were on deck 7 when we cruised last month. They did not know about the ledge, and they did not like it at all. However, as the other posters said, you could look straight out (and down-ish) but you couldn't see the water as the ship passed through it. If they had known...it might have been ok, but they had booked a year out (on Vision last year) and had even asked if there were any obstructions when they booked. They were very disappointed with it (yes...they did complain and were offered another room...it is a long story).

But...we all loved Serenade...if you don't mind looking "out" more than "down"...I'd go for it!

My cousins were on deck 7 when we cruised last month. They did not know about the ledge, and they did not like it at all. However, as the other posters said, you could look straight out (and down-ish) but you couldn't see the water as the ship passed through it. If they had known...it might have been ok, but they had booked a year out (on Vision last year) and had even asked if there were any obstructions when they booked. They were very disappointed with it (yes...they did complain and were offered another room...it is a long story).

Talk about being particular. Any balcony except the ones on the hump and

the aft would have the same "problem". Oh the abuses that cruisers tolerate ! Oh please. You don't know from obstruction.

But...we all loved Serenade...if you don't mind looking "out" more than "down"...I'd go for it!

Hi there ChattieKathy! Swim with any dolphins, lately? I'm one of those that really don't care about the so called obstruction. I guess, for me, the price was right. LOL

Jen

Thanks everyone. I don't really feel the ledge will be an obstruction because we usually like to either sit in the stateroom and listen to the sounds of the ocean or go outside when we are in port - in the past we've eaten breakfast out there too but I doubt we'll do it this year with our son.

Archived