Tipping for Waiters, Cabin Stewards, etc.

I will be sailing on NCL for the first time this May and then again with my children in October. I have sailed Royal Caribbean before and they have always recommended tipping amounts. I haven't been able to find information about tipping on NCL. Do they recommend a tip for cabin steward, waiter, etc. on a per person basis? Will they allow you to charge it to your stateroom so we don't have to carry as much cash? How do you tip waiters at the restaurants if we go to multiple restaurants throughout the trip? And lastly, if my children are under the age of 2, would I have to account for them in the tip? (I would obviously give extra to the waiters though because with having twins, food always inevitably ends up on the floor...)

I will be sailing on NCL for the first time this May and then again with my children in October. I have sailed Royal Caribbean before and they have always recommended tipping amounts. I haven't been able to find information about tipping on NCL. Do they recommend a tip for cabin steward, waiter, etc. on a per person basis? Will they allow you to charge it to your stateroom so we don't have to carry as much cash? How do you tip waiters at the restaurants if we go to multiple restaurants throughout the trip? And lastly, if my children are under the age of 2, would I have to account for them in the tip? (I would obviously give extra to the waiters though because with having twins, food always inevitably ends up on the floor...)

NCL will charge a Daily Service Charge of $12 per day per person for every passenger 3 years and older. You may, if you choose, tip a waiter or steward extra if they provide exceptional service but there is certainly no need to. The charge will be added to your onboard account at the end of every day.

I guess you haven't read the Q and As so glad you are hear asking the question..too bad more people don't find CC before they cruise..Here are the guidelines: like many lines now (most infact) an automatic tip is being placed on all accounts for everyone over 2 years of age: it is $12 per day, this money goes into a tip pool and covers most everyone except the bar staff and the childrens councilors. As for any extra, that is up to you. Some people do decide to give certain crew members a little extra, others just give the $12 per day. No one should feel obligated to tip more and the crew should not expect it. That being said, we usually do give our cabin steward and maybe a few other people an extra little bit at the end if the service has been really good.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck and have fun cruising with the little ones.

Nita

DH and I are returning to NCL and are very experienced cruisers. Their tipping policy is very unclear in the brochure and our take on it was the amount was already included in our cruise fare, but we could tip extra if we wanted to. I did not see anything about $12 per day per person in the Gratuities section of their 2010-11 brochure we recently received.

Not a problem since we almost always give more to our room stewards and waiters, although we are used to traditional dinner seating with one waiter and asst. waiter all week. I'm so glad I read this message so we know ahead of time about the $12 charges.

DH and I are returning to NCL and are very experienced cruisers. Their tipping policy is very unclear in the brochure and our take on it was the amount was already included in our cruise fare, but we could tip extra if we wanted to. I did not see anything about $12 per day per person in the Gratuities section of their 2010-11 brochure we recently received.

Not a problem since we almost always give more to our room stewards and waiters, although we are used to traditional dinner seating with one waiter and asst. waiter all week. I'm so glad I read this message so we know ahead of time about the $12 charges.

I'm glad you found the information out before getting the bill on the final day.

Page 109 of the 2010-11 brochure has a section called "Is there a Service Charge"....which is where you will find the information on the $12 per person (3 and older) per day charge.

That is because it is not considered a gratuity but a service charge.

You will find it listed in the section about service charges.

Did you read the section about service charges????

I was also confused because under Gratuities, the brochure says "Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL..." I failed to read the Service Charge section because I assumed tipping would be called a gratuity! A little tricky on their part. They shouldn't bother with a Gratuities section or should say "refer to Service Charge" but in any case, I appreciate everyone clarifying!

I was also confused because under Gratuities, the brochure says "Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL..." I failed to read the Service Charge section because I assumed tipping would be called a gratuity! A little tricky on their part. They shouldn't bother with a Gratuities section or should say "refer to Service Charge" but in any case, I appreciate everyone clarifying!

FYI, all bar receipts have an automatic tip (15%) already on them, and I believe that spa services have an automatic (18%) on them.

The kids club counselors, butler, and concierge aren't included in the general ($12 pp per day) tip/service charge.

I don't know about the brochure but I believe it is on the web site..I haven't really found their policy anymore unclear or clearer than PRincess or HAL. At least we have always known somehow or another before we have boarded what the auto tip is..I don't know how we have found the info, just know we have..

Nita

We were on the Jade in January his year and paid our "gratuities up front" when booking- so it was included as part of our total price.

Doing this meant we didnt have to pay anything extra on-board (except the service charge which is added when ordering drinks ect to everyones bills)

but because the service was so good - we still tipped individually - over and above what we paid up-front

I was also confused because under Gratuities, the brochure says "Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL..." I failed to read the Service Charge section because I assumed tipping would be called a gratuity!

Wow, that is confusing! I would have thought the same thing. Thank goodness for these boards. There's so much more information here than you can find in the brochures and website.

Archived