Specialty Restaurants

Cruise 'n Lady

Is Azamara increasing the $5 gratuity for the two "Specialty Restaurants"? :confused:

Hi Cruise 'n Lady !

Effective April 1st, Specialty Dining will be complimentary for Suite Guests, and $ 15.00 Per Person for the other cabin categories.

We are sailing on Journey on March 20. I called Captain's Club to book my specialty reservations, I was told that I could only make one reservation in advance. I did reserve Prime C, but my confirmation e-mail states that we will be charged the $15 per person fee. I don't feel this should be the case, as my cruise document clearly states the old policy.

They may be changing things for the next sailing on April 1, but I don't feel this charge is fair for a March 20 sailing.

Hi CruisenMom

Don't worry, often the Captains Club is wrong about policies. If they try and charge the new fee on our March 20th cruise, I guess they will have to institute all the new perks as well!

8 days to go and don't forget the sunscreen.

Is Azamara increasing the $5 gratuity for the two "Specialty Restaurants"? :confused:

Yes, as of April 1st the gratuity will increase to $15 per person. At $5.00 it was very much worth it and we would have eaten there every day had we been able to get reservations. The food in both Specialty restaurants was very good and the service was good as well, something I cannot say about MDR.

• 4 months later...

We will be cruising on the Journey next month and I have a question about the Specialty Restaurants.

I am not sure if I understand the "new" policies.

We will be in a suite.

Will we be entitled to two reservations in each of the specialty restaurants with no charge or can we book as many nights in the specialty restaurants as we would like? I have seen both policies supported on this board and the literature from Azamara is a bit confusing.

We recently cruised on Regent and loved their steakhouse. But, we couldn't get a second reservation as the restaurant was constantly booked. So, I don't understand how all of the suite guests can get unlimited reservations without squeezing out the other guests of the ship.

Any one in the know? Please respond.

Thanks.

We are booked for the Med in the Fall. This is our first Azamara cruise (and first cruise in a very, very long time.) I've seen some of the MDR menus, as well as the specialty restaurants. Is there really that much of a difference between the 3? I would assume (which is never a good idea), that everything is prepared in the same kitchens, using the same ingredients, and the same chefs. I have no problem paying extra for the ambiance, or significantly better quality, but if the food is essentially the same... I would appreciate some input from you Azamara experts out there, if you would.

David

We are booked for the Med in the Fall. This is our first Azamara cruise (and first cruise in a very, very long time.) I've seen some of the MDR menus, as well as the specialty restaurants. Is there really that much of a difference between the 3? I would assume (which is never a good idea), that everything is prepared in the same kitchens, using the same ingredients, and the same chefs. I have no problem paying extra for the ambiance, or significantly better quality, but if the food is essentially the same... I would appreciate some input from you Azamara experts out there, if you would.

David

David

There are different kitchens. The MDR has its own kitchen. Aqualina and Prime C share a different space but it is my understanding that they operate that space as two different kitchens.

The MDR has a 14-day [i think] rotation of menus. The speciality each have their own fixed menu.

Sue

I can confirm it is a different kitchen than the MDR

and different chefs

Also, the waiters that are used are the best of the best

The vibe is more subdued than the dining room

in addition the views are outstanding.

It does take much longer to dine, so if anyone has issues

for sitting long periods of time. You need to let them know in advance

Instead of bringing out course by course ...they will configure it so you can enjoy the food and dining experience based on what works for any health concerns you have with extended periods of sitting

It does take much longer to dine, so if anyone has issues

for sitting long periods of time. You need to let them know in advance

We were served and ate in Prime C the last night in 30-35 minutes. We skipped dessert. We had to make a shoreEx and our appetiser and steaks came right out. It was easy to do that when the restaurant was included in the cruise fare.

I've been privie to behind the scenes tours on the Journey. MDR has a story kitchen below the MDR. Aquilina and Prime C share a kitchen next to the restaurants. In fact, you can order from either specialty dining menu...and don't forget to ask for the extra specials that are not listed on the menu like chateaubriand.

Red, I'm a bit confused, there is something about blogging that isn't totally voice compatible. You said you can order from either menu. Does that mean from the Main Dining Room, or just from either specialty restaurant while seated in a specialty dining room?

Thanks to Alton Brown, (those who aren't familiar, google him), I make one hell of a good chateaubriand. (We won't discuss my brilliant Bearnaise sauce or the passion fruit burre blanc). Thanks in advance for the info!

D

I thnk she was saying that when you are dining in EITHER specialy restaurant (Aqualina or Prime C) you can access items off both menus as they share the same kitchen. The restaurants are configured in a pseudo horseshoe with Prime C to the left and Aqualina to the right as you face them.

I loved the atmosphere in both the specialty restaurants, I think we maybe just preferred Prime C but they are both excellent. The staff are the best, very professional and friendly.

Sorry to be the spoil sport in the group, but I wasn't impressed with either one of them. The wait staff was good, but IMHO not at all better than their counterparts in the MDR. The food in both was wonderful but - again IMHO - no better than the MDR. Dinner in the MDR was often longer and more leisurely than the specialty restaurants especially later in the cruise when you wind up dining with people you've toured with and dined with before (one of the nice things about a small ship). If you want a privite dinner for one or two couples then the specialty restaurants are ideal. Just don't expect much better service or cuisine than you'll get in the MDR.

Can anyone who has returned since the Azamara changes please answer Zoolander's question re bookings for the speciality restaurants. We enjoyed dining in Aqualina during our last cruise and had no problem making reservations, but we are concerned that in our forthcoming cruise, it will be difficult for those who are not in a suite (like us) to make bookings as suites seem to have priority now. I know we will have to pay more next time, but are we still able to make two reservations as last time?

The MDR is completely separate....and very good...sometimes even better than the specialty restaurants. The 2 specialty restaurants share the same kitchen and the same waitstaff. The waitstaff knows both menus and you will too if you have eaten in the specialty restaurants. The menus do not change. One night we tried to get a reservation in Aquilina, but they were fully booked. We went to Prime C and mentioned to the waiter that we would like the soup from Aquilina. Not a problem. He also said that if we wanted anything from either menu, just ask. Since that night, we don't care which restaurant we book. We know that the food can be ordered off either menu.

Enjoy. Also, since the change to the $15pp surcharge to eat in the specialty restaurants, it is very easy to get a table. Most people go to the MDR most of the time and perhaps dine in specialty once or twice. Before the increase, there were more people dining for the $5pp. The increase has turned off many people. Most of the people who dine in the specialty restaurant are people staying suites. Since the menu doesn't change, they do not go too often. It's easy to get a table.

It's good to hear that we lowly non-suite guests will still be able to go to the specialty dining. We loved them, mainly for the much better service. However, the menus are limited so I would not want to eat there every night.

The food in the MDR is great, but the service was often poor. Maybe it was because the two of us ate alone that we got put in spots with what appreared to be trainee wait staff. Getting the right wine in time for the first course was a problem several times. Maybe that will not be such a problem with many people going with the complimentary wine.

So exactly what is the reservation policy for the Specialty Policy?

We just receive our documents for our August cruise on the Journey and it said that we could book three reservations total at the two Specialty restaurants.

Which... is completely different from anything I had heard before.

Thanks.

So exactly what is the reservation policy for the Specialty Policy?

We just receive our documents for our August cruise on the Journey and it said that we could book three reservations total at the two Specialty restaurants.

Which... is completely different from anything I had heard before.

Thanks.

You cannot make advance reservations via CaptC or LCV any more - all reservations are made on board, but this is the first I have heard of 3 reservations total whilst on board? I guess it is a way of controlling the numbers so that every one has a fair chance to get a reservation if they want one?

Had no problem booking Prime C on the Journey yesterday afternoon for last night. Had choice of 6 or 8.

Both restaurants appear to have plenty of tables available.

Cruise has been great. Captain brought us great weather, and fresh fish were served at Aquilina the other night after the Captain and some of the crew stopped for some fishing after we left Iceland. Another first-- was almost an hour.

We were on the Quest July 2-12. There were 455 passengers onboard according to the Captain. We had no problem eating in either specialty restaurant whenever we wanted, even just walking in and asking for a table. One night we wanted to just sit at the bar, have a drink and appetizer and talk to the very gracious maitre 'd (Roman) and the bartender. Roman insisted on giving us each a plate of cold seafood (lobster tail, shrimp and crab) and a glass of champagne. How wonderful. You can't ask for much more than that!

Archived