Anybody else find the ship's photographer annoying?

gabbyisadog

Their 5x7's are what, $20? I have never bought one, ever. But if they cost $2, Hal would make 1000% profit on each one, and I would buy them all day long. I'd be flagging down the photographer to come to my table so I could snag a couple of those $2 photos. Even at $5 I'd buy a handful, or at least not avoid the photo sales booth completely. Why is 1000% profit so hard to expect? Wouldn't they actually make MORE money this way?

I agree totally. There were some pix of us that were ~okay~... I may have wanted them but not for $20 each.

.... I think people who want a pictuure taken at dinner should request one. (Form with table number put in box near photo displays and he should leave the other diners alone. I know you can tell them no but some are pushy and don't take no easily. I vote for opt-in vs opt-out.

I agree 100%.

We just got off the Oosterdam....

In San Diego, they make it IMPOSSIBLE to go around the "opportunity" to have a photo taken. Just before going up the ramp to the ship, you make a right turn...the photographer is to your left and the cheesy background for the photo is to your right. There is no physical way to go around it...you have to walk between the two.

The trick is walk behind the backdrop and then out the door. :)

Years ago, the photographer's were extremely aggressive and annoying, much more so than now. Once, an idiot dressed as a pirate came up behind me while I was dining and placed a fake sword to my neck for his colleague to get a cute picture. I was completely startled and started to react instinctively -- he nearly left with a broken arm and nose, and he knew it, because he left me alone thereafter.

I took my dad on a cruise for his 85th b-day and the pirate picture is my favorite! But he didn't startle us - we saw a couple of them come into the dining room and we were waiting our turn. ;)

so they don't interfere with embarking, getting off in ports, etc. Those who need pictures of themselves at every opportunity could go there and let the rest of us move to where we are going. Photographers and art auctions are at the bottom of my list for needs on a cruise.

That's all you have to do, it makes life alot easier for the photographer as well. We had a son who tried that kind of job once and people can be really mean even when the photographer is not pushee.

I refuse to allow the photographers to take my picture. Unwanted photographs are a terrible waste of natural resources and a source of unnecessary pollution. Generally I have found the photographers to be cooperative. If they get overly aggressive, I am aggressive right back at them.

We recently were on a Norwegian Caribbean cruise, and I found that their photographers had a reasonable approach to the photos. I also found it interesting that their prices were significantly lower than HAL, QM2, and RCI.

Archived