Bermuda

lummy1

I'd be very wary about going to Bermuda in mid-April. I'm going in May this year (only date that worked for me) on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and I'm worried about the weather at that time.

I guess it would be fine to go in April as long as you aren't expecting to lay out on the beach and do stuff of that nature.

I have gone 2 x in early May.. the weather was fine (for me).. probably about 75.. sometimes hotter sometimes not.. Just cold the day we sailed out..

Hey everyone. I have been living in Bermuda since July 2008, so if there is anything that you would specifically like to know about the island, please just ask. The previous posts have been pretty much spot on with regards the weather. The winter months up until around May can be a little chilly, and unpredictable, but you can have days where it is warm enough to lay out in the sun.

Ships do still visit Hamilton, but these tend to be smaller vessels - the last one to visit towards the end of last year was one of the Regent Seven Seas ships.

However, no ships are scheduled for St Georges (where I live) this year, but please don't let that stop people visiting as it is a wonderful little town - so much history, and lots to see and do.

As this is a Carnival thread, we do only see one Carnival ship per year typically, though the Dream did stop here last year at Dockyard as part of her trans-Atlantic journey.

So, please feel to ask and I will answer if I can.

Thanks

Hey everyone. I have been living in Bermuda since July 2008, so if there is anything that you would specifically like to know about the island, please just ask. The previous posts have been pretty much spot on with regards the weather. The winter months up until around May can be a little chilly, and unpredictable, but you can have days where it is warm enough to lay out in the sun.

Ships do still visit Hamilton, but these tend to be smaller vessels - the last one to visit towards the end of last year was one of the Regent Seven Seas ships.

However, no ships are scheduled for St Georges (where I live) this year, but please don't let that stop people visiting as it is a wonderful little town - so much history, and lots to see and do.

As this is a Carnival thread, we do only see one Carnival ship per year typically, though the Dream did stop here last year at Dockyard as part of her trans-Atlantic journey.

So, please feel to ask and I will answer if I can.

Thanks

Nice! .. Love St George.. it's beautiful.

How is Hamilton doing? My husband has a friend there and they have told him they were devastated by the lack of cruise ships docking there.. :)

dingo is it a magical place full of excitement and wonder? Please share.

We cruised there on the ex-NCL Majesty (the one in the news recently where people died due to a huge wave.)

It was magical because we tied up in St. Georges and were there for 3 and a half days. Only the smaller ships can fit into that harbor; the bigger ships dock or tender at the opposite end of the island.

We bought the unlimited bus and ferry passes, and set off to explore the island from one end to the other.

Bremuda is not third-world like the Caribbean; it is very advanced. Also, it is very historic. There is lots of US Civil War history there, and it was a major shipment point for slaves - there is a museum with a large exhibit which is just horribly stunning.

We set out on hikes, went to botannical gardens, explored caves, and hit some beaches. We picked up sea glass and went to a festival. All without doing a single ship's excursion.

When the ship is in port that long, it is really hard to miss the boat! No deadlines. We loved it.

Sailed to Bermuda last year on May 9th. It was warm enough to lay on the beach. Ocean was chilly.

I love Bermuda and, like other posters, would go back anytime. My pic below is also from Horseshoe Bay Beach. Hard to believe that a public beach (aka free!) is that beautiful.

Like the previous poster stated, lots to do with no need for ship excursions. Gibb's lighthouse is interesting and only costs a couple of dollars, you just hop off the bus. I went there on a 5-day (2 days in port) and it was not long enough. That was my second time there, and I would love to go again on a 6 or 7 day. First time I went was in September and we dodged a few hurricanes en route. But it was definitely a warmer sailing, and warmer weather and water in Bermuda.

Hi Trock,

You can definitely see the difference in Hamilton. Whilst cruise ships don't visit the island between the months of November and March anyway, the Harbour Nights weekly festival that runs between March and October wasn't too well attended last year. You can just see that the number of visitors has declined, even in my relatively short time on the island.

But as Hamilton is still a renound business and financial centre, it still has a lot of people working here to help it survive, though like any other city, we have felt the crunch of the global economic crisis.

St George's is perhaps suffering the most, as this place definitely relies on cruise ship tourism for it's income. Several businesses have closed over the past few months, and speaking with the local Bermudians, this can be attributed to the lack of ships now visiting this end of the island.

But I think work is being done to try and balance things out, and I hope it succeeds, as St Georges, and the rest of Bermuda has such a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and it's history.

Thanks

My husband and I cruised to Bermuda in 2007 on the Carnival Miracle. It was a great cruise but there were some issues. They only go once a year and it is in April. It is not very warm in Bermuda at that time of year. Also they arrive late afternoon on a Sat. and dock quite far from Hamilton, one of the largest cities. It was too late to get there that day and the next day was Sunday. Almost all the shops are closed that day. Not enough time in Bermuda and then they take you to Newport, Rhode Island for a day. We would love to see more of Bermuda but not on Carnival.

Carnival's problem in going to Bermuda was that they were low man on the totem pole, with last choice on docking, which meant they had to be there on a weekend...Which also meant leaving the east coast in mid-week. It just didn't sell. EM

Hi Trock,

You can definitely see the difference in Hamilton. Whilst cruise ships don't visit the island between the months of November and March anyway, the Harbour Nights weekly festival that runs between March and October wasn't too well attended last year. You can just see that the number of visitors has declined, even in my relatively short time on the island.

But as Hamilton is still a renound business and financial centre, it still has a lot of people working here to help it survive, though like any other city, we have felt the crunch of the global economic crisis.

St George's is perhaps suffering the most, as this place definitely relies on cruise ship tourism for it's income. Several businesses have closed over the past few months, and speaking with the local Bermudians, this can be attributed to the lack of ships now visiting this end of the island.

But I think work is being done to try and balance things out, and I hope it succeeds, as St Georges, and the rest of Bermuda has such a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and it's history.

Thanks

HAL Veendam will be going from NYC and tendering a day to St. Georges, then docking in Hamilton. EM

Noisie - We will be sailing to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit at the end of June. The last time we visited St. George, 19 years ago, they had a Town Crier, and various reenactments including the dunking of a wench(sp?). Do they still do this? If so, on what day and time. Also, I recall a beach not to far from St. George that was very pink. I know it's not Horseshoe Bay or Elbow Beach. Would you happen to know any in the area? Any info you can provide about special events going on during to week of June 27th would be appreciated. Thanks for any info.

Ahhh, thanks for the update. I had heard a whisper about a couple of visits this year, so the HAL ship will be anchored off and tendering folks ashore.

That's good to know, but will miss the sight of a ship being tied up alongside the actual berth.

Thanks for the info.

I've been to Bermuda 4 or 5 times on cruises and it is my absolute favorite place on the planet.

Historic, with a British feel. CUTE CARS! Lovely people who treat you as an honored guest and do NOT treat you like money sources as is the vibe in Mexico and the Caribbean. No tip jars out on your excrusions, no one yelling at you to sell you something or to take you in a cab.

We wanted to go to Whale Bone Bay one time (after having WALKED there from St George's the last time we were there). A cab driver took us there and then gave us his cell # for us to call him when we were ready to come back because he said no busses or cabs typically go down there since it is not a tourist area. When we called him he was there w/in 15 minutes.

Beautiful scenery, lovely downtown Hamilton, CLEAN waters and streets.

OMG I could go on and on.

No wonder non-natives can't own property! I would retire there in 1/2 a heartbeat.

I've been to Bermuda 4 or 5 times on cruises and it is my absolute favorite place on the planet.

Historic, with a British feel. CUTE CARS! Lovely people who treat you as an honored guest and do NOT treat you like money sources as is the vibe in Mexico and the Caribbean. No tip jars out on your excrusions, no one yelling at you to sell you something or to take you in a cab.

We wanted to go to Whale Bone Bay one time (after having WALKED there from St George's the last time we were there). A cab driver took us there and then gave us his cell # for us to call him when we were ready to come back because he said no busses or cabs typically go down there since it is not a tourist area. When we called him he was there w/in 15 minutes.

No wonder non-natives can't own property! I would retire there in 1/2 a heartbeat.

Yeah, I was there this past summer and the vibe is changing a bit. Excursion providers were putting the hard sell on us for tips and some of the locals were less than friendly, one outright demanded I give him cash after providing directions.

Out of 7 cruises..Bermuda is by far my favorite port...One of the reasons for it being my favorite is the fact that when you get off the boat...the people from Bermuda DO NOT bother you...they are the friendliest people. When you go into the shops they ask if you need help...THAT IS IT...I No hasseling. It is such a nice, relaxing, ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS Island.

I have cruised to Bermuda twice through NCL....you dock in Bermuda for 3 days..gives you lots of time to explore from one end of the island to the other end. Some people may not like NCL...but we enjoyed cruising with them. We have also cruised with RCCL and Carnival. I would cruise on any of those lines. They are all about the same.

Bermuda is a little more expensive than going to Mexico but if you get a chance to go..please do.

We went in September and October. The weather was PERFECT and the water temperatures were PERFECT.

Noisie - We will be sailing to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit at the end of June. The last time we visited St. George, 19 years ago, they had a Town Crier, and various reenactments including the dunking of a wench(sp?). Do they still do this? If so, on what day and time. Also, I recall a beach not to far from St. George that was very pink. I know it's not Horseshoe Bay or Elbow Beach. Would you happen to know any in the area? Any info you can provide about special events going on during to week of June 27th would be appreciated. Thanks for any info.

Hi Caravellov - They were still dunking the wench and had the town crier all through last year, so I'm sure it will still be the same this year. I think it occurs on most days of the week, but would have to find out for sure. It occurs in Kings Square in St Georges, which is the main town square. You can't miss it.

There are 2 main beaches in the St Georges area, and several smaller coves. Tobacco Bay is perhaps the most popular, as there are public facilities there - bathrooms, chair hire, snacks and drinks - you get the idea. Then there is also a larger beach next to Fort St Catherine, but no facilities directly on the beach. There is however a bar/restaurant up by the Fort. Both these are approximately 1.5 - 2 KM from the town square, so a nice walk if you are feeling fit.

I am not aware of anything specific happening around June 27th, but you should get the usual activities such as Harbour Nights, Destination Dockyard, etc.

I hope this helps :)

I have been to Bermuda twice (once as a nanny while in college in the late 80's - sweet gig - 17 day trip!) and the second time on the old Norweigan Majesty from Boston to St. George. It docked there for 3 nights; absolute heaven! The voyage was quite rough, however. If you are leaving from New York you will more than likely experience the same, but it's worth it. Bermuda is gorgeous - pink sand beaches, crystal clear water, nice shopping, etc. As others have mentioned, it is pricey to eat and drink there. We ate most meals on the ship while there. We visited all the tourist places - the perfume factory, crystal caves, zoo, the Swizzle Inn (can you say "drunk"??) etc. It is very easy to get around by bus.

Bermuda is truly one of my favorite places in the world and will probably become one of yours, too.

Hi Trock,

Thanks

I agree and I wish the Bermudian people well.. I can not stress enough how different Bermuda is from the other islands in the Caribbean... One has to experience it to understand it.

Enjoy!

I agree.. I have been told by Bermudians because there is low unemployment and equality among all..

Such a wonderful place!

Has anyone ever cruised to Bermuda? Just started to look with Carnival and the only port that shows a ship leaving is New York. Any information would be appreciated. By the way, just off the Valor. Not very good on the computer but will try to post some info later. Had a great time. Thanks

Carnival only does one cruise to Bermuda a year, but unfortunately, it is in April, which is way too early in the season for us.

RCCL does 5 day cruises out of Bayonne, NJ.

NCL does 7 day cruises.

Bermuda and Bermudians are great. I took a Celebrity cruise there some years ago that went to Hamilton and St. George. Loved it. As other have said, you can just get a bus pass and go wherever on your own. We took a bus to Turtle Bay(? I think) Beach one day, and it's unbelievably gorgeous. It's not right on the bus route, it entailed a bit of a walk. Or so we thought. First, everyone on the bus was more than happy to help us out and give advice. Then, after we got off the bus we hadn't walked 100 yards before one of the locals stopped and offered us a ride the rest of the way!

Very nice people and very beautiful island.

Hi Caravellov - They were still dunking the wench and had the town crier all through last year, so I'm sure it will still be the same this year. I think it occurs on most days of the week, but would have to find out for sure. It occurs in Kings Square in St Georges, which is the main town square. You can't miss it.

There are 2 main beaches in the St Georges area, and several smaller coves. Tobacco Bay is perhaps the most popular, as there are public facilities there - bathrooms, chair hire, snacks and drinks - you get the idea. Then there is also a larger beach next to Fort St Catherine, but no facilities directly on the beach. There is however a bar/restaurant up by the Fort. Both these are approximately 1.5 - 2 KM from the town square, so a nice walk if you are feeling fit.

I am not aware of anything specific happening around June 27th, but you should get the usual activities such as Harbour Nights, Destination Dockyard, etc.

I hope this helps :)

Noisie - Thanks for replying. We are really looking forward to spending three days in Bermuda. I know we will make it to St. George at one point.

I've been to Bermuda twice -- once (much younger) with friends, and the weather was perfect. I forget what month that was. The last time I was there was almost 12 years ago on my honeymoon. We were there the first week of April, and I thought the weather was quite pleasant. Now, remember, we were on our honeymoon, so we didn't venture too far from our hotel room,;) but I distinctly remember wearing shorts and the like. The weather was fine, maybe not 80's, but not uncomfortably cool either. I'm so hoping to go back there, this time on a cruise ship (Miracle) in mid-April 2011, husband and two kids in tow!:D It's beautiful, clean, easy to get around, and the people very, very nice.

I have gone 2 x in early May.. the weather was fine (for me).. probably about 75.. sometimes hotter sometimes not.. Just cold the day we sailed out..

I'm very happy to hear that. ~75 would be delightful so I hope we benefit from similar luck!

Archived