Dumb question regarding steam rooms etc

Hello all,

I have never tried a steam room or the like at home, because it's something expensive and if after 2 minutes I notice I don't like it at all, it would be an expensive experiment.

However, a cruise could be the way to find out whether I like it or not.

The steam rooms in the spa are free of charge, right?

How is the process to use them? (I told you the question would be stupid)

You go to spa, to locker room, undress (are you supposed to go naked in the steam rooms? Another reason I don't feel like trying it at home, at most places, it's without bathing suit), ...? Are you supposed to use towels, ...?

Can anyone "walk" me through the process?

Thanks! :o

You can get a key for from the Spa receptionist that will allow you to keep your belongings in a locker. There are towels available in the change room for you to use. Undress, wrap yourself in a towel and go enjoy the steam room. There is also a dry sauna and showers available for you to use.

You don't have to undress, you can go in wearing your bathing suit. Just don't be surprised if there are other towel-clad people in there.

The steam room and sauna are located within the locker room areas; there are no co-ed ones EXCEPT on the ships where there is a Thermal Suite (extra charge). Those ships have the "free" ones in the locker rooms as well.

Yes, the spa facilities are free. Just get a locker key from the receptionist, go into the locker facilities and get undressed and either ware a bathing suit or wrap yourself in just a towel. There are spa towels provided in the locker room. I would highly advise you to bring and wear a cheap pair of rubber flip flops. The floors are wet and sometimes slippery & dirty so best to ware something on your feet. Always sit on a towel and thoroughly shower after using steam room for hygienic purposes. I wouldn't sit in the steam room more than 15-20 minutes. The steam room is really relaxing after a long hard touring day in port. Enjoy.

Just be a little careful about those locker keys. On the Explorer we had to give them our Seapass card in exchange for a key. When my husband went to get his card back, they had given it to someone else.:eek: Thankfully, they had put charged anything to the account but we had to get a new one made. It was a tense half an hour while we got everything sorted at the Purser's desk!

Just be a little careful about those locker keys. On the Explorer we had to give them our Seapass card in exchange for a key. When my husband went to get his card back, they had given it to someone else.:eek: Thankfully, they had put charged anything to the account but we had to get a new one made. It was a tense half an hour while we got everything sorted at the Purser's desk!

That's true every time you hand your card over. We bumped into a couple on last September that got someone else's card back after cocktails, and discovered it the next morning while checking their onboard account. Fortunately, RCI reversed all the charges.

if i am not mistaken, the enchantment of the sea does not have a sauna, steam room, or jacuzzi in the spa area or locker room. when the ship was cut in half and expanded they did other things with the space and cut out those facilities. I hope you arent on that ship.

O.K since there are no silly questions....What is the purpose of the steam room..and do I wear my glasses ( blurry blind without them and will they fog up) :eek:;)...Also what is and how do you use a Thermal Spa ??

Hello all,

I have never tried a steam room or the like at home, because it's something expensive and if after 2 minutes I notice I don't like it at all, it would be an expensive experiment.

However, a cruise could be the way to find out whether I like it or not.

The steam rooms in the spa are free of charge, right? It is a nice experience and is free on most but not all ships (I heard there is a charge on the Oasis/Allure).

How is the process to use them? (I told you the question would be stupid)

There are no stupid questions.:) As stated below just get a locker key (if you need one) from the receptionist and go into the Spa and change.

You go to spa, to locker room, undress (are you supposed to go naked in the steam rooms? Another reason I don't feel like trying it at home, at most places, it's without bathing suit), ...? Are you supposed to use towels, ...? Some people are more comfortable wearing bathing suits; I just undress and wrap a towel around myself and take an extra towel to sit on in the sauna and steam room.

Can anyone "walk" me through the process?

Enjoy!

Thanks! :o

Kathy:)

O.K since there are no silly questions....What is the purpose of the steam room..and do I wear my glasses ( blurry blind without them and will they fog up) :eek:;)...Also what is and how do you use a Thermal Spa ??

Steam Rooms are FANTASTIC. Yes, do not wear glasses. Not only will they cloud but the rims will get hot.

What a steam room does vs a sauna is just give you a wet heat. In a steam room the walls actually drip. You also get your nasal passages opened up. Imo, you get a full body relaxation that is unparalled. Your muscles will almost instantly relax. Wet heat is where its at.

A thermal spa is really nothing more than a modern jacuzzi.

sandrabv79 - i have always had the same questions just always afraid to ask - LOL!! i belonged to a gym for a while with a steam room, really wanted to use it but felt stupid asking how. go figure. so now i will definitely try it out on this cruise!!!!

Thanks for asking!!!

On the Freedom, in the dry sauna, I was treated to, I guess, the full dry sauna ritual ceremony. After asking everyone for permission, one of the regulars mixed up some water with Eucalyptus oil, poured a few drips on the rocks and the smell was great. Really opened up my sinuses. Part of the custom is to fan the hot scented air on each person with a towel. I suspect it's part of an old ritual. If this happens while you're there, just sit and enjoy, or leave if you're not interested. But it was great, so give it a try.

Ray

On the Freedom, in the dry sauna, I was treated to, I guess, the full dry sauna ritual ceremony. After asking everyone for permission, one of the regulars mixed up some water with Eucalyptus oil, poured a few drips on the rocks and the smell was great. Really opened up my sinuses. Part of the custom is to fan the hot scented air on each person with a towel. I suspect it's part of an old ritual. If this happens while you're there, just sit and enjoy, or leave if you're not interested. But it was great, so give it a try.

Ray

Oh my, that sounds wonderful. Eucalyptus is such a relaxing scent. Do you know if there was a thermal suite on the Freedom?

~Lisa :p

Steam Rooms are FANTASTIC. Yes, do not wear glasses. Not only will they cloud but the rims will get hot.

What a steam room does vs a sauna is just give you a wet heat. In a steam room the walls actually drip. You also get your nasal passages opened up. Imo, you get a full body relaxation that is unparalled. Your muscles will almost instantly relax. Wet heat is where its at.

A thermal spa is really nothing more than a modern jacuzzi.

Thanks so much for the info...So no glasses...Hmmm....hope I don't end up somewhere I'm not suppose to be...:eek::D

Do all the RCI Radiance Class ships have a steam room/sauna? I'm sailing on the Brilliance in May and it would be heavenly to hit a steam room after a long day in port.

Yes, the Brilliance definitely has the steam/sauna room. We love that ship! Photos in the link below.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

Defnitely no dumb questions! We were always told steam rooms help remove toxins, etc out of the body. If they do or not, I'm not 100% sure but they do feel awesome!

Only stay in for 15-20 mins at first. They get HOT! Many steam rooms/saunas have multiple levels to sit/lay on. If you're just starting out...I recommend sitting on the level closest to the ground. Even if people are sitting one level above you and have their feet on the lowest level, don't feel like you have to join them all the way up there. Heat rises and the higher you go, the harder it is to breathe (at least for me).

I recommend taking off ALL jewelry. Even small earings. I wore small hoop earrings in once because I forgot about them. They got SCALDING hot and I had to take them off while in there.

Just go in and enjoy! Most people don't get to experience steam rooms on a normal basis so there will always be 'newbies' in there. Just go with the flow and don't be embarrased to even ask when you're in there.

I love steam rooms. eucalyptus is one of the finest things ever for sinuses!

People enjoy steam rooms their own ways. Some will wear a suit, some will wear a towel, some will wear nothing. The important thing is that you will be Comfortable enuf to relax, that is the whole point of even going in there. Nobody is going to be critiquing your body or even caring what you are wearing or not wearing. Honestly, unless you plan to then take a swim or use the hot tub, I wouldn't bother with the suit. Regardless of what comes next, you will definitely need to shower after taking the steam.

Definitely take a towel to sit on, and I generally mean that as a towel IN ADDITION TO the one you are wearing (if you go that route).

It can be difficult for someone new to it. I've had friends not be able to handle the eucalyptus or the high heat or simply the 'heavy air.' I might suggest you take a washcloth or other small towel that you can initially hold over your mouth until you are sure you can breath it ok, and then I use it to cover my eyes.

I tend to find a spot to lie on my back, but everyone relaxes their own way. I suggest taking water in with you ( NO GLASS) but do not expect it to stay cold. You will sweat, that water loss will need to be replaced.

it is possible that you will be dizzy coming out of the steam room so be careful. agree - leave all jewelry and glasses outside.

Sometimes people are silent in the steam room, sometimes they chat. go with the flow. I prefer silence but am not annoyed by talkers.

If you start feeling the least bit dizzy or faint or sick to your stomach, exit immediately.

Otherwise, ahhhh, enjoy!

Archived