Volendam in Hobart Tasmania now

Bellair

Volendam's itinerary always blows my mind...

where "tomorrow is already today."

That is because it is in Australia and we are ahead in time from yourselves. For instance where the Volendam is now in Hobart it is 12.15 pm Friday 19 March. You have to remember we are the other side of the dateline.

Volendam's itinerary always blows my mind...

where "tomorrow is already today."

We did that itinerary a year and a half ago on the Volendam (except we docked in Burnie, not Hobart). What blew my mind was flying down there--we 'lost' a day. Where'd it go? Did I just cease to exist for 24 hours? And on the way home, we landed in Los Angeles BEFORE we left Sydney! Now THAT is freaky!!!!

Robin

We did that itinerary a year and a half ago on the Volendam (except we docked in Burnie, not Hobart). What blew my mind was flying down there--we 'lost' a day. Where'd it go? Did I just cease to exist for 24 hours? And on the way home, we landed in Los Angeles BEFORE we left Sydney! Now THAT is freaky!!!!

Robin

You crossed the dateline, that is why you lost a day, and then gained a day.

Great pictures of the Volendam. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure....good ol Orange County eh, we used to live in Euclid St while I was there for Denny's Restaurants in the 80's & will be back there in just over 2 weeks when we sail to S. America.

One of our favourite restaurants that we visit often is Norms & Souplantation....love it & the area.

Regards

noel & pat

You crossed the dateline, that is why you lost a day, and then gained a day.

I live in a family of geeks (whom I adore), and they all explained it to me so I understand WHY it happens, it was just crazy to me when I actually experienced it. Empirically, I understand it, but I still was disbelieving that I could fly for so long and arrive before I left!

Robin

...I understand WHY it happens, it was just crazy to me when I actually experienced it. Empirically, I understand it, but I still was disbelieving that I could fly for so long and arrive before I left!

I am sooo with you on this one. I just can't get my head around it, either. I think the problem, for me anyway, is that I travel west, so I think "west". I picture heading west in my mind's eye.

It would be much clearer if I would think in terms of heading east.

I live in a family of geeks (whom I adore), and they all explained it to me so I understand WHY it happens, it was just crazy to me when I actually experienced it. Empirically, I understand it, but I still was disbelieving that I could fly for so long and arrive before I left!

Robin

I agree....it was a fun experience. It felt really strange when I posted an entry on my blog that people received at home on a day that I wasn't even experiencing!! And on the way home.....when I posted entries for the same date 2 days in a row!! A unique experience.

Yes, that is what blows my mind. DH and I work on the daily fleet locations, and our information for Volendam's Australia/New Zealand, etc. itineraries is always a day behind... Then there are those days when a ship is crossing the dateline... so they are not listed at all.

I used to teach social studies to middle schoolers, so I completely understand the time zone differences, but it is just odd to think of it so specifically... when HAL's daily report shows "Friday's" locations, but the Volendam is already in "Saturday's" spot!

Archived