Newark Long Layover

BilaBu

We (two adults) have a lay over in Newark on our returning flight to London of about 9 (!) hours. Is that enough time to leave the airport and make a quick visit to New York? Would be aloud to leave the airport (Britian is a visa-waiver country)?

It is 30 minutes or so to Manhattan from Newark Airport. So you will have plenty of time to see a little of NYC.

Thanks. :) I think I saw a bus to Grand Central from Newark. We will try that.

Will we have any problems leaving the airport as transit passengers?

No problem leaving the airport. Another inexpensive way to get from Newark Airport to Manhattan is the 62 bus to Newark Penn Station then the PATH train to either World Trade Center stop or 34th Street stop (Penn Station/Madison Square Garden). This option will still take well under 1 hour, depending on how long you wait for the bus.

Will we have any problems leaving the airport as transit passengers?

No problems leaving the airport. There is no in-transit area in the US like they have in Europe. You will have to fully clear immigration and customs at your entrance point to the US (i.e. Newark). Once you have cleared, you are treated the same as any domestic passenger.

You will have enough time to get to the city for a few hours.. but I am not sure you will have a place to leave your luggage? Since check-in for your connecting flight won't have started yet.

You will do immigrations normally, take your bags, clear customs, and you are out and about on the terminal, you can freely go in and out. If you had an immediate connection then you would go from there to do your check in or to the gate if you had already pre-checked in.

We have taken the bus a few times (Newark Liberty Airport Express), USD 25 RT I think, you will be in Manhattan in about 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic. You can get off at Port Authority, Bryant Park, or Grand Central.

I'm confused by "returning flight to London." You're headed back to the UK? That's what I first thought, but then Britain being a visa waiver country is irrelevant. You wouldn't actually go through Immigration or Customs at Newark when departing. The airline will check your passport, and any required visas, to make sure you can legally go where you're headed, so they don't hve to bring you back at their expense. Assuming your checked bags are checked all the way to London, you'd just have your carry-on bags with you (whether you want to lug those around as you take a bus and subway, and walk around Manhattan, is anothr matter). And if your domestic flight arriving at Newark is late, all bets are off. I think there's a ground transportation desk just outside of security that can advise further.

If you're arriving at Newark form Britain, then of course you'd go through U.S. Immigration and Customs. Assuming your bags are checked through to your final destinatio, you should be able to simply check your bags onward at a transfer desk just outside of Customs. Again, Brtain being a visa waiver country isn't relevant, since I believe you'd still have to get in line at Immigration with all other U.S. citizens. Obviously this process takes longer than at departure, so any free time is thus reduced.

Just be prepared for horrendous traffic going in and out of Manhattan. Last week it took me over 2 hours to get into the city and 2 hours to get back to Newark. Allow for plenty of time.

I have used train from and to EWR, but south. Have also used train Penn Station to Washington, D. C. Train is easy. You can look up schedules on Web. I think I found schedules from and to EWR on the EWR web site. Make sure your train stops at EWR on the way back.

Bob :cool:

www.njtransit.com

you take the monorail to the EWR Airport rail station, buy a ticket for new jersey transit and you are at NY Penn Station in about 30 minutes (there is also a Penn Station in downtown newark.....you want the last stop of the train) The fare is about $15 per person each way....bus is cheaper...but there is a built in fee in the rail fare for the use of the monorail and station ....

From there you can walk several blocks north to Times Square or get on a subway downtown to the Ground Zero/World Trade Center area...

http://www.mta.info/

Archived