How do I go about getting credit for the Amex Cruise Privilages onboard credit

stipmom

if I book directly with celebrity. I prefer to handle my own bookings so I can moniter the price drops. Also, can the Amex credits be combined with the stockholders credit? Thanks

I would think that the OBC from Amex is coming from their commission when you use them as a travel agent. If so, you would not be able to book directly with Celebrity, but on a positive note you can combine travel agent OBC with stockholder OBC.

You book with Celebrity, then call Amex Travel services and get a tracking number. Then you call Celebrity back and give them the tracking number which they apply to your booking.

This obc comes from AMEX card services.

Must have non-branded (meaning not a SkyMiles Amex, Costco AMEX, etc) Platinum card or better.

You book with Celebrity, then call Amex Travel services and get a tracking number. Then you call Celebrity back and give them the tracking number which they apply to your booking.

Must have non-branded (meaning not a SkyMiles Amex, Costco AMEX, etc) Platinum card or better.

Be patient once onboard to see those Amex credits: We booked with Celebrity and then switched to Amex when we learned of the amenities that Amex (Platinum) would include if we booked with them. We sailed Feb 27-March 6th 2010 on the Summit.

We were dismayed on embarkation day that there was no trace of the Amex OBC or amenities in our record. Guest relations told us that our travel agent must not have sent the info to them... suggested that we call our TA, and we spent a good hour or more stressing and on the phone from San Juan. TA had sent the info well in advance to Celebrity, and had copied us, months prior to cruise and TA scrambled to fax the 'proof' to the ship. It was day 3 of our cruise before guest relations confirmed the onboard credits, dinner in specialty restaurant, and bottle of champagne/wine offered by Amex. We've since learned from these boards that it is not uncommon for Celebrity to take a few days to get these things sorted out. Wish we'd known that, and would have set our expectations accordingly- Just spreading the word to save the next cruiser any unnecessary worries.

You do not have to book through Amex to receive the Amex benefits. All you need from them is a tracking number. Any travel agent or the cruiseline direct can handle the Amex benefits via the Amex tracking number.

Be patient once onboard to see those Amex credits: We booked with Celebrity and then switched to Amex when we learned of the amenities that Amex (Platinum) would include if we booked with them. We sailed Feb 27-March 6th 2010 on the Summit.

We were dismayed on embarkation day that there was no trace of the Amex OBC or amenities in our record. Guest relations told us that our travel agent must not have sent the info to them... suggested that we call our TA, and we spent a good hour or more stressing and on the phone from San Juan. TA had sent the info well in advance to Celebrity, and had copied us, months prior to cruise and TA scrambled to fax the 'proof' to the ship. It was day 3 of our cruise before guest relations confirmed the onboard credits, dinner in specialty restaurant, and bottle of champagne/wine offered by Amex. We've since learned from these boards that it is not uncommon for Celebrity to take a few days to get these things sorted out. Wish we'd known that, and would have set our expectations accordingly- Just spreading the word to save the next cruiser any unnecessary worries.

You do not have to book through Amex to receive the Amex benefits. All you need from them is a tracking number. Any travel agent or the cruiseline direct can handle the Amex benefits via the Amex tracking number.

Not sure I understand... When I changed my booking from Celebrity direct to Amex TA, it was a conference call with both the Celebrity representative and the Amex TA on the phone- they went back and forth a bit (like a bidding war- it was funny) but the Celebrity person could not match the Amex offer. So if all Celebrity needed was a tracking number, the Celebrity rep -who was trying to hold onto our reservation- would have offered that idea... right? (I did this as a conference call because we had a particular cabin that we didn't want to lose so it was handled as a quick drop and pick up.)

Hi Babette,

If I'm using my own TA and get an OBC from AMEX card services

( if guess for being a platinum card holder), will I still be entitled to Celebrity's OBC I received for booking onboard?

Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks,

Mari

you can combine Celebrity's OBC with the AMEX. We just booked using our amx and while the online agent we booked with let us combine the AMEX credit with the credit his agency offered, we weren't able to use the $100 off captain's club credit. But I say ask anyway... you never know what kind of strings they can pull and it's worth a shot to ask. My agent called AMX directly, i didn't have to provide the routing number. But I did tell my agent exactly what the benefit was, so he could have an informed discussion with AMX.

Good luck!

I booked directly with Celebrity while onboard and was hoping that I could keep control of the booking, pay with my Amex Plat. and get the Amex perks. Celebrity told me that wasn't possible so I ended up going through Amex. From this thread it looks like I could use any TA and still get the perks--is that right? And could I have left it with Celebrity? :confused:

but you can absolutely do it with an agent. And if your agent can't (or won't) do it... time for another agent!! Interestingly enough, the first time I used this benefit, I booked directly with AMEX and they insisted you MUST book thru them. But that was maybe 5 years ago... so either the rules have changed or the agent was in error. At any rate, you can still take advantage, even if you don't book directly with amx.

AMX platinum typically carries a ridiculous $400 (i think) annual fee. So... if you don't really take advantage of the "perks" it may not be worth it to you. Airport Lounge access ROCKS!

Anyway, once you get the card, you can read all about the cruise priveleges benefits.

I am planning on booking tomorrow so I called Amex for a tracking number. The woman I spoke to said Celebrity(I like to handle my own bookings) has to call for the tracking number. I as the cardholder cannot call. Anyone work it where they were able to get the tracking number direct?

Also, can the cruise privilage program combine with the stockholder's credit?

I booked X with a travel agent and used my Am Ex Plat card to pay for the cruise. I received the obc from Am Ex. I've also used an Am Ex Plat travel agent to book an X cruise and in addition to the obc, I received two free dinners in the specialty restaurants and two bottles of wine. If I hadn't booked with the Am Ex agent, the only thing I get is the obc.

I think you are getting bad info from AMX. For AQ you should be entitled to a $100 cabin credit, a bottle of sparkling wine, and comp dinner for 2 in the alternative dining restaurant. You have to have the travel agent call AMX, get the routing number and apply it to your account. Have no idea if this works retroactively?? If you go online to your amx account, and look for the cruise priveleges benefit, it should very clearly state what the perks are.

goodluck!

Partner Details

Celebrity's exceptional level of personal service, award-winning cuisine, world-famous amenities and accommodations ensure an unforgettable cruise experience. Intent on perfecting service at sea, Celebrity's staff anticipates your needs before you think to ask. Discover the room to spread out on Celebrity's newest ships,as nearly every stateroom includes an ocean-view veranda. There's never a dull moment onboard-brush up on wine appreciation or replenish yourself in the AquaSpa® by Elemis®. But the most thrilling thing about Celebrity's ships is where they take you. Experience for yourself what sets Celebrity apart.

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)2

Complimentary dinner for two in specialty restaurant

Bottle of premium champagne

Double Membership Rewards points3

**The up to $300 thing... i think only suites get $300. My regular balcony I got $100, so maybe AQ you get more???

Thank you for the information. well, I do believe I'm getting some real misinformation from AMX and I don't know why. I am well before the final payment (due in June or July) so I can back out of the cruise.com booking and book directly with an AMX authorized travel agent. I believe there is a place close to my home. I will try calling cruise.com and see if they will call AMX for a tracking # and I'll see what they say. Did I understand that you received "2" free specialty restaurant dinners for 2 nights and 2 bottles of wine?? and...an obc as well??

I have no idea why they were so definate about only getting $100 cabin credit and only if we book directly with AMX. I have some phone calls to make!

Partner Details

Celebrity's exceptional level of personal service, award-winning cuisine, world-famous amenities and accommodations ensure an unforgettable cruise experience. Intent on perfecting service at sea, Celebrity's staff anticipates your needs before you think to ask. Discover the room to spread out on Celebrity's newest ships,as nearly every stateroom includes an ocean-view veranda. There's never a dull moment onboard-brush up on wine appreciation or replenish yourself in the AquaSpa® by Elemis®. But the most thrilling thing about Celebrity's ships is where they take you. Experience for yourself what sets Celebrity apart.

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)2

**The up to $300 thing... i think only suites get $300. My regular balcony I got $100, so maybe AQ you get more???

thanks for taking the time to get me this information. I really appreciate it..lets see what they say.

Partner Details

This is the correct information and this can only be had if you have a Platinum or Centurion Amex Card. No other Amex will get all of these. You also must book this through Amex Platinum travel (there is no fee).

The $300 onboard credit is for suites only because you don't get the 2 category upgrade if you book a suite and you can not use the 2 category upgrade to get in to a suite for a lower category. The double memberships rewards is really nice also.

B.

I did NOT book with AMX. I used an online agent. I was able to get $100 obc from AMX, and $150 obc from the agent. I'm sure every agent is different on what they will offer... that's just what I got.

To clarify, it's dinner for two people, but only on one night/occasion. And ONE bottle of sparkling wine. And the 2 category upgrade is INSTEAD of a cabin credit, and only applies to ocean view and below. So in my instance, I am getting a $100 cabin credit, but NO upgrade. Had I booked an oceanview, I'd get the upgrade, but no cabin credit. Kinda confusing, but it's pretty clearly spelled out.

We have only taken advantage of this once before, on Holland America. When we arrived we had SIX bottles of wine in our cabin!!! Still have no idea how that happened.

And the 2 category upgrade is INSTEAD of a cabin credit, and only applies to ocean view and below. So in my instance, I am getting a $100 cabin credit, but NO upgrade. Had I booked an oceanview, I'd get the upgrade, but no cabin credit. Kinda confusing, but it's pretty clearly spelled out.

Not true. It is valid for balcony also. Of course there has to be availability. Have to book through amex platinum travel.

Now to get that 6 bottles of wine benefit would be very cool :)

B.

The only advantage an AmX Platinum cardholder gets by booking though AmX Travel is double membership rewards points which you do not receive if you do not book through AmX. Otherwise, ALL other platinum privileges are available to cardholders who use their card to book directly with X or with their own travel agent. If you're cruising with family or friends, you may also use your Platinum card to book up to three cabins and receive privileges for all three. However, if you get a one category upgrade as a Captain's Club member, you will not get an additional upgrade by using your platinum card. Our travel agent always provides us with a copy of the written confirmation (including the tracking number) she receives from AmX re the cruise privileges we're entitled to and we carry it with us just in case. So far we've never had a problem.

The only advantage an AmX Platinum cardholder gets by booking though AmX Travel is double membership rewards points which you do not receive if you do not book through AmX. Otherwise, ALL other platinum privileges are available to cardholders who use their card to book directly with X or with their own travel agent. If you're cruising with family or friends, you may also use your Platinum card to book up to three cabins and receive privileges for all three. However, if you get a one category upgrade as a Captain's Club member, you will not get an additional upgrade by using your platinum card. Our travel agent always provides us with a copy of the written confirmation (including the tracking number) she receives from AmX re the cruise privileges we're entitled to and we carry it with us just in case. So far we've never had a problem.

Thanks for this info. I called our online travel company and asked her to call AMX. She didn't believe me and called Celebrity first. I was on hold for a long time and found out that they agreed with me and told her to call AMX for the tracking number and to call them back. which she did. We now have (confirmed by receipt just received):

complimentary gratuities (given by online travel co.)

$100 obc-AMX (only suites get more)

dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant (Is this our choice of restaurant?)

bottle of champagne

(No double points)

so...not bad and I guess this reconfirms that you do not have to book directly with

AMX travel to receive the Platinum card priviledges..

thanks again to all

Thanks for this info. I called our online travel company and asked her to call AMX. She didn't believe me and called Celebrity first. I was on hold for a long time and found out that they agreed with me and told her to call AMX for the tracking number and to call them back. which she did. We now have (confirmed by receipt just received):

complimentary gratuities (given by online travel co.)

$100 obc-AMX (only suites get more)

dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant (Is this our choice of restaurant?)

bottle of champagne

(No double points)

so...not bad and I guess this reconfirms that you do not have to book directly with

AMX travel to receive the Platinum card priviledges..

thanks again to all

One question I have is that on the AMEX website, it says "Premium" champagne. Yet, if you book a CC cabin, you also get "champagne." Is the AMEX champagne in addition to the champagne Celebrity gives? I know a lot of people didn't care for their CC cabin champagne and called it cheap. I'm just wondering if AMEX's is different or better?

One question I have is that on the AMEX website, it says "Premium" champagne. Yet, if you book a CC cabin, you also get "champagne." Is the AMEX champagne in addition to the champagne Celebrity gives? I know a lot of people didn't care for their CC cabin champagne and called it cheap. I'm just wondering if AMEX's is different or better?

I believe we were given a choice of Jordan Chardonnay or Tattinger Brut on our holiday cruise. I was happy!

Archived