Help with deciding which cruise line

staranice

Check whether ROS is sailing under Amercan law which I presume they are as use USdollars on board then drinking age is 21yrs and will not sell alcohol to people under 21yrs even sailing from Aus. Sun and Dawn Princess drinking age 18yrs as sailing under Aust law. All other Princess lines 21yrs as well. This may have a little influence on your decision but either way you will have a good time

Am trying to decide between ROS or Sun Princess for cruise to NZ in December.Will have two sons aged 18 and 20 with us.Which in your opinion would suit them the best.Thanks

It also depends on wether it is school holdays or not ( I realize your sons are not school age but outside of school holidays or holiday season both ships, but probably more so Princess seem to attract an older age group especially going to NZ.We travelled on Rhapsody in 2008 with our 2 daughters aged mid 20's and they both loved it.(but this was to the islands. We just did NZ on Sun Princess in Feb, and I am sure our daughters would have felt out of place with the age group on board. Just my opinion though ! Robin:)

I think you can sign a form giving children between 18-20 permission to buy alcohol on the cruises departing from Australia. Check to be sure though as I have never had to do it personally.

I went on ROS to NZ last Christmas. Friends had their 16 year old daughter and there were other families we spoke to who had 16-22 year olds. They all loved the ship. Lots of activities on offer. Everyone I spoke to loved the ship (just not the US$ prices).

It also depends on wether it is school holdays or not ( I realize your sons are not school age but outside of school holidays or holiday season both ships, but probably more so Princess seem to attract an older age group especially going to NZ.We travelled on Rhapsody in 2008 with our 2 daughters aged mid 20's and they both loved it.(but this was to the islands. We just did NZ on Sun Princess in Feb, and I am sure our daughters would have felt out of place with the age group on board. Just my opinion though ! Robin:)

Robin,

We're considering (if we actually find a way to book!!) Sun Princess for April 2011, Northern Explorer, with our two sons aged 11 and 8. Do you think it will be suitable for this age range (n.b. it will be during Easter holiday period)? At present, we are unable to book in the UK as we've been informed it's only open to US residents??? Our TA couldn't believe her ears when Princess stated she couldn't book the cruise eventhough it was showing on her screen!!! Also, as you've travelled on her previously, would you recommend separate cabins or are the oceanviews adequate for 4? I've read the awful reviews on the quad balcony cabins, so we need the next best alternative, would appreciate your comments.

Many thanks.

Robin,

We're considering (if we actually find a way to book!!) Sun Princess for April 2011, Northern Explorer, with our two sons aged 11 and 8. Do you think it will be suitable for this age range (n.b. it will be during Easter holiday period)? At present, we are unable to book in the UK as we've been informed it's only open to US residents??? Our TA couldn't believe her ears when Princess stated she couldn't book the cruise eventhough it was showing on her screen!!! Also, as you've travelled on her previously, would you recommend separate cabins or are the oceanviews adequate for 4? I've read the awful reviews on the quad balcony cabins, so we need the next best alternative, would appreciate your comments.

Many thanks.

Have you contacted any Australian on-line TAs for a quote? The vast majority of passengers on the Northern Explorer cruise will be Aussies.

Your question on whether the cruise would be suitable for young people - I would say it would. If you want to do your own shore tours, there will be plenty of suggestions coming from people on this forum.

The cabins (staterooms!!) on Sun Princess are small. The normal oceanview cabins and the balcony cabins (as well as the interior) are all the same size (12 - 14 sq m). The deluxe oceanview staterooms are 16sq metres because the outer metre or so hasn't been cut off and made into a balcony. Whether or not you should get two cabins is up to you. One suggestion would be a balcony for the parents and an inside cabin across the hall for the boys. On the documentation you would have to put down one parent in each room.

For me there is no comparison. Rhapsody wins hands down!!!!!!!:D:D

Any US based ship is by far better than the ships Princess Australia, and P@O send Downunder.

Have you also checked to see if the Diamond or Sapphire Princess(Also US based ships ) are doing NZ??

Have you contacted any Australian on-line TAs for a quote? The vast majority of passengers on the Northern Explorer cruise will be Aussies.

Your question on whether the cruise would be suitable for young people - I would say it would. If you want to do your own shore tours, there will be plenty of suggestions coming from people on this forum.

The cabins (staterooms!!) on Sun Princess are small. The normal oceanview cabins and the balcony cabins (as well as the interior) are all the same size (12 - 14 sq m). The deluxe oceanview staterooms are 16sq metres because the outer metre or so hasn't been cut off and made into a balcony. Whether or not you should get two cabins is up to you. One suggestion would be a balcony for the parents and an inside cabin across the hall for the boys. On the documentation you would have to put down one parent in each room.

As Aus Traveller has said the rooms are very small,I have never been in a cabin with 4 people,and I must say I don't think I could, no matter how young the kids are, Aus Travellers suggestion was good or maybe co-joining rooms. Balcony cabins on Rhapsody are a bit more generous. I'm sure the Itinery for that cruise would be very good, even though I have been on a couple of Princess cruises I have not travelled in school holidays,so therefor can't comment, I'm sure there would be a lot more children on this cruise being the Easter period my only comment is I would'nt travel on Princess with children out side of school holidays or holiday periods. Happy children make for happy parents!!!!:rolleyes:

Robin & Aus Traveller,

Thanks for your helpful comments. We don't seem to have a choice on which cruise to book as Princess is the only itinerary to choose from for the Easter holidays. RCI's Rhapsody is heading for the South Pacific so there's only Sun Princess cruising around Australia (unless anyone knows differently?). I think the 2 cabin option is probably going to be the best. We would have preferred connecting cabins, but again, it appears from the deck plans that Sun Princess doesn't have any interconnecting cabins?

Robin & Aus Traveller,

Thanks for your helpful comments. We don't seem to have a choice on which cruise to book as Princess is the only itinerary to choose from for the Easter holidays. RCI's Rhapsody is heading for the South Pacific so there's only Sun Princess cruising around Australia (unless anyone knows differently?). I think the 2 cabin option is probably going to be the best. We would have preferred connecting cabins, but again, it appears from the deck plans that Sun Princess doesn't have any interconnecting cabins?

I don't believe there are any connecting cabins. I have heard that it is possible with some cabins to have the divider between the balconies removed so you effectively have to adjoining rooms with access to each other via the balcony. I haven't seen this done and don't know the cabin numbers where this would be possible. It would be an ideal solution for a family, but of course a fairly expensive one. With the other expenses you will have (airfares etc.) maybe a bit extra on the cost of cabins wouldn't be an issue.

Aus Traveller,

We don't usually have this problem as D1 balcony cabins on RCI are ample for the four of us!! You mentioned flights, that's another issue. Finding the best operator that enables us to stopover a couple of times on the way over before first visiting siblings in Melbourne, then heading to Sydney (if we take this cruise) and finally departing from Perth back to the UK. It's the itinerary that looks so good for Sun Princess. It would enable our boys to see so many different aspects of Australia. Problems.... maybe.....but I'm sure it will be worth all the hassle;). Thanks for the information, will probably ask for more once we've booked (especially for excusions in the Queensland area!):).

Am trying to decide between ROS or Sun Princess for cruise to NZ in December.Will have two sons aged 18 and 20 with us.Which in your opinion would suit them the best.Thanks

We booked the NZ trip on ROS but could have booked on princess . I am sure that they are both great and one step up from P&O . I will buy some US dollars before we go, to keep prices on the ship resonsable, I will do it while the rate is good.

New Zealand and Princess together means quite an old crowd, especially if it isn't in summer holidays!

I'd probably lean towards Royal as they might have a younger crowd... in saying this NZ generally attracts an older crowd, the south pacfic is perfect for 18-20 yr olds and families, but obviously your keen on seeing NZ.

Can't go wrong with either, both great lines!

Archived