Anytime Dining

Luvtoeat

Hated anytime dining! Too many decisions: want to see if so-and-so wants to join us? what do you feel like eating? maybe we'd be better waiting until the rush is over .... Nope, I enjoy the rhythms of a day at sea, and dinner is the anchor of my day. Dress, have a drink, get together with newly made friends. Civilized! And of course, after a few evenings, you get to know your tablemates, and that's when the conversations start to get really interesting, and the good-natured banter begins!

We tried AD once. The worst experience of the week was the time we told the maitre d' that we'd be happy to sit at a large table. We were there by ourselves for a while at a table for eight, we were joined by two more, and then a group of four arrived. They were obviously well-bonded and well lubricated. Madame started to fume and, with bulging eyes, protested under her breath to her Monsieur "I TOLD HIM WE DIDN'T WANT TO SIT WITH STRANGERS". (I'm hearing impaired ... lip reading is such a useful skill!) Well, that really got the evening off to a relaxed start! The rest of us at the table did our best to play nice while Madame twitched. Seems they were having an anniversary celebration and they didn't want to share the champagne and the cake. By dessert, Madame had thawed out a bit, and the waiter brought extra treats all 'round. All was not lost. *sigh* But fun it wasn't.

Some of our best cruise memories have been cooked up at the dinner table: the new friends we've made, the sweet waiter from wherever who (fill in the blank), the discussions about discovered common interests. None of that seems to happen with anytime dining.

I know others like Anytime Dining. But we don't, and we wouldn't do it again.

Stinks for us! I agree with Seemie. We finally hooked up with two other couples. One couple was retired Army Colonel (very nice man) and his wife who could be quite opinionated (ok opinions are ok) but she was also insulting. I told my husband I refused to dine there the last night and we had a nice dinner on deck 11 in alternative dining.

We could not get main seating because we booked too late, even though the travel agency said we had main seating. First time ever, we couldn't get traditional dining. I'll be sure I book earlier next time.

Anytime is not that.. it is there time.

This method of dining saves the Cruise Line a lot of money.

Do youall really think they did this for cruisers?

Having a set time is fine to me and really our preference.

Waiting in line to eat only dinner is a waste. To the Cruise Lines it is wonderful in revenues produced. So many have a drink, glass of wine etc.. and yes the Gratuity which is added before your first sip/\.

One good thing is it does provide a choice. ;)

With any time dining can't you ask to just sit as a couple or have I got it wrong ? This would avoid being with some of he people mentioned in previous messages ?

Just asking as this is the option we are thinking of going for as we dont want the set dining times / set tables (have had a bad experience in the past and were nearly stuck with the likes of 'madame' above for a week!)

:)

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between flex dining options and noro-virus outbreaks?

I realize noro-can and has hit any ship at any time. It seems to me that NCL was dealing with this problem on a regular basis before other lines were (the first with the hand sanitizers). It seems that here more an more about it as flex dining options roll out. I realize I would have a very long way to go to prove statistical significance of the relationship; but it does seem like there is reduced risk of passing a virus if the busboy who serves you your rolls and drinks is only clearing tables for the same 50 to 60 people each week. Conversly, in a flextime arrangement, your waiter or busboy may be clearing the table next to you, and serving you at the same time.

Its just a theory, but given how much the lines are spending and loosing on this issue, it might be worth their while to take a look at this.

HAL is the one which started the alcohol based hand cleaners.As yes they are the ones which have done so many first and especially in the environment. A lot of there ships are even able to be plugged in to the local electric grid instead of running there engines and wasting costly fuels ..

One vital point I think not many and/if any state ..is

When you see the staff clearing ( NOT CLEANING ) the tabletops.. they just DO A WIPE AND SPREAD . Yikes* Thats just pushing contamination all over the table tops...eh..:mad:

Even in the Slop Line which is called a buffet ... how many times have youall seen Cleaning vs clearing..(((?))):eek:

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between flex dining options and noro-virus outbreaks?

I realize noro-can and has hit any ship at any time. It seems to me that NCL was dealing with this problem on a regular basis before other lines were (the first with the hand sanitizers). It seems that here more an more about it as flex dining options roll out. I realize I would have a very long way to go to prove statistical significance of the relationship; but it does seem like there is reduced risk of passing a virus if the busboy who serves you your rolls and drinks is only clearing tables for the same 50 to 60 people each week. Conversly, in a flextime arrangement, your waiter or busboy may be clearing the table next to you, and serving you at the same time.

Its just a theory, but given how much the lines are spending and loosing on this issue, it might be worth their while to take a look at this.

We have exprienced Anytime dining With Princess and will be doing so again on Celebritys Millie in April.

All I can say is if the Celebrity experience is as good as our Princess experience we will be extremely happy. We much prefer the flexibility of AD and we have met different (mostly lovely)people each night. Bring it on!

I recently booked and took the anytime dining option. I've never been on a cruise before and it just seemed to give a bit more flexibility. I'm not all that fussed about sharing tables with dining mates and really prefer doing my own thing. I noticed some people complaining about waiting but celebrity give you the option of making reservations in advance if you want more fixed times.

. A lot of there ships are even able to be plugged in to the local electric grid instead of running there engines and wasting costly fuels ..

This is like a post from Bizzaro land.

How long does the extension cord have to be for the ship to be plugged in?

Even if we're talking about just in port, how is the fuel that is used is used to generate electicity on a shore side power stations less expensive than the fuel used by the ship(especially in a less developed country)?

A typical Panamax cruise ship will use 2 to 3 times as much power on propulsion vs ships services and most itineraries involves being underway more than 60% of the time. Energy used in port is next to nil.

If you are really that concerned about the environoment, why take a completely recreational voyage in the first place?

What does this have to do with anytime dining anyhow?

We tried anytime dining on two HAL cruises and really liked it! On one cruise a whole bunch of us CC Cruisers got together for Happy Hour and then went down together just before 6 PM and were seated together immediately. It is important to get there early. On our last cruise, DW and i went by ourselves each night and asked to be seated at a large table. We never had to wait at all and it was fun meeting people that way, good variety.

Anytime is not that.. it is there time.

This method of dining saves the Cruise Line a lot of money.

Do youall really think they did this for cruisers?

Having a set time is fine to me and really our preference.

Waiting in line to eat only dinner is a waste. To the Cruise Lines it is wonderful in revenues produced. So many have a drink, glass of wine etc.. and yes the Gratuity which is added before your first sip/\.

One good thing is it does provide a choice.

Sir/Madam

Can you please explain how this method of dining saves the cruise line a lot of money.

I would think that the buffet is more of a profit center.

Also, If they don't make a profit they will stop sailing at some point.

Should they close the bars during meal times so people are not tempted to drink (and add to their profit?)

So,waiting on line to eat only dinner is a waste.Of what? Time? Money ?

Please enlighten me because I enjoy eating dinner when I am hungry, not when I am told.

I do understand your last line.It does offer a choice,one which I welcome.If everybody loved the same thing it would eventually lose its loveability!!!

Enjoy whichever you choose.Neither choice is perfect.

We have exprienced Anytime dining With Princess and will be doing so again on Celebritys Millie in April.

All I can say is if the Celebrity experience is as good as our Princess experience we will be extremely happy. We much prefer the flexibility of AD and we have met different (mostly lovely)people each night. Bring it on!

We liked our AD experiences on Carnival & Princess, & look forward to trying it on -X-. We need a table for 4 for the 3 of us.

My wife and I tried anytimedining on our recent Carnival cruise. Neither of us cared for it. Basically we felt the level of service was not very high because we were just the "drop in" customers. No relationship was built with our server, and we were never seat with anyone else and we definately missed out on meeting other people. I think the bottom line, however, is personal preference. I know there are plenty of people that would'nt be bothered in the slightest with what my wife and I experienced. We are both looking forward to our late seating on our upcoming cruise, and I think it will be a while before we both try anytime again.

Archived