Ok so this may be a dumb question but I was just curious.

booboo0530

Ok so my first cruise is on RC Monarch of the Seas in 5 days and I've been reading up on everything and it seems like I'm the only one questioning this soo it may be dumb! The last night of the cruise your suppose to leave all your bags outside of the room, isn't anyone worried about leaving their things outside in the hallway until the cruise members come pick it up?

Ok so my first cruise is on RC Monarch of the Seas in 5 days and I've been reading up on everything and it seems like I'm the only one questioning this soo it may be dumb! The last night of the cruise your suppose to leave all your bags outside of the room, isn't anyone worried about leaving their things outside in the hallway until the cruise members come pick it up?

It is similar to leaving my luggage with the airline and TSA people when flying. I don't worry then either. The only thing I worry about is remembering to keep something to wear when I leave the ship to go home!:)

As long as you don't leave any valuables, documents, meds, electronics, etc, you should have nothing to worry about. I have never heard of any pilfering. the bags usually don't sit there too long before they are removed, and there are surveillance camera's recording everything that can be referred to in the unlikely event of thievery.

If you are still concerned, you can always keep your bags and do the self-help disembarkation.

Nothing is a dumb question, many others probably have been thinking the exact same thing.

Rule # 1 is to put nothing valuable in your 'outside the door' luggage and to lock it. Dirty laundry only. Medicine, glasses, cell phones, electronic gadgets, laptops, jewelry, purchases, etc. all stay with you in your carry-on.

The luggage is usually picked up quickly by the porters, it does not sit out for long. But follow Rule #1.

As long as you don't leave any valuables, documents, meds, electronics, etc, you should have nothing to worry about. I have never heard of any pilfering. .

I don't wish to sound alarmist, but there was quite a lengthy thread on the Princess board about someone who had had items stolen from their luggage and from memory, I think they said it could only have happened whilst the bags were outside their door.

It was posted a few months ago and revived in the last month or so, so you may be able to find it if you search, there was quite a heated discussion going at times!

But to the OP - if you follow the good advice already given and don't leave valuables in your cases then you have nothing to worry about.

Even in the unlikely event that they are rifled through, if there is nothing exciting inside, there will be nothing for anyone to take. ;)

You should LOCK your bags whenever they are not in your possession, even if there is nothing "valuable" in them.

And, no---no passenger is going to want your dirty clothes!

You need to have some sort of carry-on bag to put your toiletries, pjs (if you wear them) and the clothes that you were wearing that last night in....so not everything goes into the hall!!!!!

I get some delight in putting dirty laundry on the top so that's what would be 'interacted with :)' first if someone opened my suitcase...now if I could just get them to do the laundry, repack and send it home, that would be great :)

Seriously, we've never had a problem....do be sure that someone holds your door open when you put the luggage out and be clothed when you do it; there have been some interesting stories from folks locked out in the hallway with little on and from those who forgot to keep clothes out to wear the next day (including shoes)

In the millions of cruisers I am sure there are cases of theft but it must be extremely rare or you would sure hear about it more here. It's not different than handing your bags over to the porters at the dock (they aren't carnival employees). To me it's a minimal risk. I keep anything valuable in my carry on just like when I arrive. If they want my dirty panties well umm they have more problems then I do so have it LOL

The only thing I worry about is remembering to keep something to wear when I leave the ship to go home!:)

I have heard of people who were left with only pajamas and robes becasue they packed everything!! Can you imagine the fun they must have had getting off that ship!!!!! Would certainly make for a memorable cruise - at least for anyone seeing them in their robes looking for their bags in the customs area. :p

Tens of millions of people have cruised throughout the years and to hear one story here or there re: accusation of theft from luggage placed outside cabin door is not worrisome to me.

Good advice was given here. Don't pack valuables in checked luggage.

As far as luggage locks........ IMO no luggage lock will keep a thief out. If they want into your bag, that little lock will not keep them out.

As far as luggage locks........ IMO no luggage lock will keep a thief out. If they want into your bag, that little lock will not keep them out.

Very true ;) In the thread I referred to earlier, there was a link to a You Tube video about people easily getting into "locked" luggage, and that included TSA approved locks. I didn't actually watch the video, but from posters' comments who had, it sounded pretty easy to do :eek:

Tens of millions of people have cruised throughout the years and to hear one story here or there re: accusation of theft from luggage placed outside cabin door is not worrisome to me.

Good advice was given here. Don't pack valuables in checked luggage.

You're right but............ a lock may be enough of a deterrent to send a thief on to the next bag. Why waste the extra time if there's unlocked luggage available to check out?

Seriously, we've never had a problem....do be sure that someone holds your door open when you put the luggage out and be clothed when you do it; there have been some interesting stories from folks locked out in the hallway with little on and from those who forgot to keep clothes out to wear the next day (including shoes)

Hahahaha - this is so true! This made me remember the time I was on a business trip alone and staying at a very nice hotel; I ordered room service, then took a quick shower and put my night shirt on. Room service came and after I finished eating, I put the tray in the hall - alas, the door "got away from me", and there I was, wet hair wrapped up in a towel, nightshirt, no slippers or robe, no cell phone - locked out of my room!!!! :eek: Luckily it was late enough in the evening that no one was in the hallways; I darted down to the elevator where I spotted a telephone on a table. I called the front desk and they sent a guy up to unlock the door for me. I was sooo embarrassed, but he said it happens a lot! Yes - have someone hold the door open for you or have your room card with you! :o

On the last cruise I did, we were given a VERY sticky label, with the line's name (Thomson) on, to cover the lock after we'd packed. The luggage had to sit on the dock in Egypt for most of the day, until the airport buses came. If anyone had attempted to try to scrape it off, they would have been spotted, as it took a lot of budging! I'm not sure if we've managed to fully remove it still.........

So perhaps an extra sticky patch with some identification might help.

Jo.

While it's true that a lock won't keep a theif out of your (most likely) fabric suitcase, it still should be locked....no one has a right to go through your things without you knowing about it....this is STILL AMERICA (unless Congress has voted against it) and you should LOCK your things.

Keep valuable stuff in hand-luggage if possible. Certainly lap-tops.

Locks, zip-ties, gaffa tape etc - none of this will keep a thief out. But as posted by others, it's a whole lot quicker & easier to move on to an unprotected case. It's also very evident at a glance to see if its been disturbed.

Never had a problem, never heard of a problem with cases left in the corridor or even at the dock. The odd story I hear always seems to relate to airports.

JB

Archived