TSA question

AFT_LOVER

First time as carry on on Continental Airlines CLE-FLL. I want to bring a bottle of Clear Care contact lens disinfectant & a can of saline solution. I am allergic to the preservatives used in these products. To use 3 oz bottles would be 7 needed for each product to meet my needs. So 14 3 oz bottles & only 1 quart, not gallon bag allowed.

I looked at TSA site but they answer is generic stating that you get in the family line to have your contact lens solutions looked at. I have seen them pitch bottles into their trash can & this stuff is expensive.

So do I need to bag 7 3 oz bottles of Clear Care & give my husband the other 7 3 oz bottles of saline? Or just take the bottle & can?

Actually, contact solution is considered "medical" and you don't need to include it with your other 3-1-1 items. It must be separately declared to TSA, though.

I just put my regular solution bottle in a separate zip lock bag (to keep it from leaking on my things and so TSA wouldn't contaminate it by touching it). Put it in the bin and let them know you have it.

I learned about this on these boards and then read the TSA website. It was no problem for me when I did this. You should be fine.

Guest cadd4u

My DH uses a wetting solution for dry eyes and it is sterile so he carries 50+ of those little single use things. He just declares it separately, they look at it and he's good. I would make sure the bottles are unopened.

I take a 4 oz. bottle of contact solution in my carry on, declare it and put it in the bin. My large bottle is in my checked luggage. Have never had a problem with the 4 oz at security.

Filling your own small bottles of solutions is not a good idea. You can really mix up a bad brew of bacteria!

You are allowed to take your normal size original containers of contact lens solutions in a carry on but I would put them in a separate bag so they can stay tidy. Just show the bag to the TSA folks by laying it in your bin with your 1 quart zip-top bag.

First time as carry on on Continental Airlines CLE-FLL. I want to bring a bottle of Clear Care contact lens disinfectant & a can of saline solution. I am allergic to the preservatives used in these products. To use 3 oz bottles would be 7 needed for each product to meet my needs. So 14 3 oz bottles & only 1 quart, not gallon bag allowed.

I looked at TSA site but they answer is generic stating that you get in the family line to have your contact lens solutions looked at. I have seen them pitch bottles into their trash can & this stuff is expensive.

So do I need to bag 7 3 oz bottles of Clear Care & give my husband the other 7 3 oz bottles of saline? Or just take the bottle & can?

You would be wise to decide to check at least one piece of luggage and put the larger bottles in it. Then just have one 3 ounce bottle of each in your carry-on.

I've carried contact lens solution in larger than 3 ounce bottles on lots on airlines, including Continental, without a problem. I put them in whatever size plastic bag in which they fit, and show them to the TSA.

Once again I learn something new on these boards. I didn't know you could call attention to your contact cleaning solution and take it onboard unless it was one of the travel-sized ones.:D Thanks for the tip everyone!:D To the OP I would say, if you are nervous about it, take a big-sized one to show to the security staff and be sure to have several backup travel-sized ones so that in case you happen upon staff that won't allow you to bring it on, you can always have the travel-sized ones as backup until you can buy some more at your destination.:D

Archived