Oosterdam corner Suite

smoosh21

Hello everyone,

I am currently booked on the 4/23 Oosterdam Mexican Cruise. I have booked the back corner suite with the wrap-around balcony, 6158 I think. I know the room is going to be smaller than the suites mid-ship, but just how much smaller is it going to be? There will be three adults in the room.

I have only been on one cruise before and we did spend a lot of time on our balcony (a much smaller balcony than this room will have and extra space would have been nice). I just wanted to find out who has sailed in these corner rooms and are they worth giving up the extra cabin space? I probably should have asked this question before I booked, but better late than never. They seemed to be booking up faster than the other suites so it seemed that there was demand for them.

Any comments from those who have been in the suites are appreciated.

Thanks

Also, if there is another aft suite you would recommend over 6158, let me know. It seems a lot of people like the suites a deck down on the verandah deck. Is there that much of a difference between the suites? They look somewhat different on the deck maps, but I know those are not 100% accurate either.

Smoosh,

5186 and 5187 are the largest of the aft suites. They do have more storage room as well than some of the others. We've stayed in both 5186 and 5187. I have visited in the Aft Suites on decks 6 and 4 and did find them feeling more "cramped". If you hve the option, then go for 5186 or 5187. On the other hand, with the great verandahs you can escape even if you do feel a little "squished" when every one is trying to get dressed for dinner at the same time!

Cheers!

One of the downsides of the corner aft suites, IMO, is their distance from the Neptune Lounge. Because of being on a different deck and fully aft, it is too inconvenient to go to the Lounge very much. We enjoy the Neptune enough to want to be reasonably close to it.

Made friends with a couple on the Oosterdam who were on the second leg of a back to back to back (yes....a B2B2B!) and were much put off by having to leave their midships suite near the Neptune Lounge and put in one of the aft suites. While they thought the verandah was great they're weren't sun people and saw little advantage for them. They said the cabin was "considerably smaller" and also mentioned the distance from the Neptune Lounge. They were looking forward to moving back to the first suite for their third leg. Pretty experienced HAL Mariners as this series of cruises would put them at 400 days on ship.

We stayed in the aft corner suite on navigation deck 8. They are the most private but probably the smallest. I think cabin square footage was approximately 300 instead of 390. The other aft cabins I believe go up to 330 sq. ft. The balcony, however, is about 4 times that of the suite suites.

It depends on what you like.

Have not been on the Oosterdam, but we have been on the Zuiderdam in 4165(?)corner aft suite and on the Westerdam 5186. There did seem to be more space in 5186 than the Zuiderdam. We really enjoyed the huge balcony. We had a family reunion (10 of us) and the room steward brought another round dining table & chairs and we still had plenty of room for dancing.

The corner aft suites are covered on the sides and open in the back. We were in 7133 on our last cruise and are booked in 5187 for our next cruise. 5187 has about 2 feet more space front to back than 7133.

If there are three of you, I think I would opt for more space in the cabin itself. The midship cabins have very much more space. Two of us were a bit cramped in 7133.

With two I would still go for the aft suite. With three I think I would book a midships suite. Sleeping will be a LOT more comfortable. If you are part of a large crowd, then I would opt for the aft suite.

The bathrooms are all the same size.

Just my humble opinion.

Roberta

thank you everyone for your advice. Especially the advice on cruises-n-more.com I was able to look up room 6158, which they say is only 311 sq. ft and 5186 which they say is 365 sq. ft. I called up Holland America and luckily the larger room was available, so I made the switch.

Giving up 30 sq. ft is worth all that extra balcony. I am not sure how happy I would have been to give up over 80.

Again, thank you for your time.:)

Okay, feeling a bit moronic...as I went to cruises-n-more, "booked" a cruise and could not find where the cabin sizes are listed. Do you actually have to go to the page where you input personal information?

This would be of great help...

Thanks!

We stayed in Zuidy's 7087 and loved it! The cabin itself is angular, but it seemed to be a bit wider than other Ss we're seen. The balcony was a little awkward, and totally exposed to the forward suites. I'd choose this cabin again just for the wide-open interior space.

I tried doing a search on Cruises-n-More and could not find the square footage anywhere. Could anyone inform me as to the square footage of cabin #7087 on the Oosterdam? It is one of the S suites that are on the angle.

Thanks.

Smoosh,

We have 5187 on Oosterdam. I specifically chose it because of its size. If loved using your last balcony--you'll love this. We had a smaller aft cabin on our last cruise and the views were amazing!

Ok, it is a farther walk, but it's quiet in the aft. With some of the veranda open, the stars at night were incredible. (The side section is all under cover.) We have three adults on our cruise and I'm sure there will be enough space--if it seems cramped, I'll go out on the HUGE balcony!:D

Tiff, I loved the website with the Oosterdam pictures! Thanks for sharing!:)

Tiffnco,

If you go to Cruises-n-more, put in their search Holland & Mexico it will bring up various cruises. Then pick a date & it will show you the available cabin classes, click on your desired one & it will take you to the next page that shows you the exact cabin numbers and square footage. You may have to play around with it a bit to find your exact cabin (different dates or places) or you can try the sister ships cruises, which should be the same.

Cabin photos of 5187 are in my sigfile. You will really love this cabin!

Smoosh,

We have 5187 on Oosterdam. I specifically chose it because of its size. If loved using your last balcony--you'll love this. We had a smaller aft cabin on our last cruise and the views were amazing!

Ok, it is a farther walk, but it's quiet in the aft. With some of the veranda open, the stars at night were incredible. (The side section is all under cover.) We have three adults on our cruise and I'm sure there will be enough space--if it seems cramped, I'll go out on the HUGE balcony!:D

Tiff, I loved the website with the Oosterdam pictures! Thanks for sharing!:)

Candy,

THANK YOU for the incredible photos of 5187. I thought it would be great, but WOW! I can already see myself on the lounge on the veranda! :D

Only 23 days...

I'll toast you from the veranda as we sail...these pictures have really raised the excitement in our house.

Thanks again, Candy.

Peggy

Peggy, we will also be in 5187 the next time we are on the Oosterdam which will be October 8, 2005 This will be our first time doing the Aft, my only concern will be how much more motion there will be. I have been told it really is not that bad. We shall see:confused:

Peggy, we will also be in 5187 the next time we are on the Oosterdam which will be October 8, 2005 This will be our first time doing the Aft, my only concern will be how much more motion there will be. I have been told it really is not that bad. We shall see:confused:

Lisa--

You shouldn't worry - there was no vibration in the lower aft dining room and when I visited a friend staying in one of the center aft cabins on deck 5 you could barely hear the engines - the AC was louder - and when out on their verandah, the loudest noise was the whoosh of the ocean against the hull - again, no vibration!

(Which is why I was so surprised about the vibration on Amsterdam...)

I'm so looking forward to my corner-aft suite on Deck 4 in September. Since I'm perfectly happy in an SS, the interior space of 4185 should be just fine.

Lisa--

You shouldn't worry - there was no vibration in the lower aft dining room and when I visited a friend staying in one of the center aft cabins on deck 5 you could barely hear the engines - the AC was louder - and when out on their verandah, the loudest noise was the whoosh of the ocean against the hull - again, no vibration!

(Which is why I was so surprised about the vibration on Amsterdam...)

I'm so looking forward to my corner-aft suite on Deck 4 in September. Since I'm perfectly happy in an SS, the interior space of 4185 should be just fine.

Brian, our friends that are cruising with us in October will be in your cabin 4185. We figured rather than using the phone we would just hang over the railing and talk:D

Tiffnco,

If you go to Cruises-n-more, put in their search Holland & Mexico it will bring up various cruises. Then pick a date & it will show you the available cabin classes, click on your desired one & it will take you to the next page that shows you the exact cabin numbers and square footage. You may have to play around with it a bit to find your exact cabin (different dates or places) or you can try the sister ships cruises, which should be the same.

Thanks for the detailed directions...it worked finally (don't know why I couldn't get it the first time!)

I was surprised at how much more expensive they were for the sailing I'm on...at least twice as much!

I suppose I booked at the right time (or with the right agent!)

Archived