Caribbean Princess Drinking Water

jessegirl88

Hi again - We were wondering if we order a glass of water during dinner, do they open up bottled water or is it water from a holding tank-Yuk? If it is water from a holding tank is it filtered? We are concerned that the water will taste funny.

thanks

The water tastes absolutely fine (as in, no taste at all) -- and this is from a tap-water-phobic! It's perfectly good to drink.

But, hey, it's vacation -- what are you drinking water for? --> order wine with dinner!

Hi again - We were wondering if we order a glass of water during dinner, do they open up bottled water or is it water from a holding tank-Yuk? If it is water from a holding tank is it filtered? We are concerned that the water will taste funny.
For the most part, it's distilled water and perfectly fine to drink and as pure as you'll find in any bottled water. It tends to be very "soft" water which will make a difference if you wash your hair, i.e., you'll notice that your hair looks different, particularly if you have "hard" water in your area. People who insist on bringing bottles of water on the ship is kind of like bringing tulips to Holland or coals to Newcastle.

For the most part, it's distilled water and perfectly fine to drink and as pure as you'll find in any bottled water. It tends to be very "soft" water which will make a difference if you wash your hair, i.e., you'll notice that your hair looks different, particularly if you have "hard" water in your area. People who insist on bringing bottles of water on the ship is kind of like bringing tulips to Holland or coals to Newcastle.

Pam you almost got me to spit my bottled water onto my computer screen:D Thanks for making me laugh, I needed it.

The water tastes absolutely fine (as in, no taste at all) -- and this is from a tap-water-phobic! It's perfectly good to drink.

But, hey, it's vacation -- what are you drinking water for? --> order wine with dinner!

Isn't wine mostly water??? I mean really, isn't it??? :D

We drank the water at the restaurants and dare I say the tap water from our bathwoom and it tasted fine (I drink mostly bottled water but at midnight when one is back from two too many glasses of wine or what have you, then tap water it is).

I believe they do sell the bottles water at the MDR (still and sparkling) should you desire bottled water.

I keep lemonade made with Crystal Light in my stateroom fridge. I make it with tap water

from the bathroom sink. Absolutely no off flavor, at all. Make cocktails with ice from the

ice bucket, and no off taste. And no, I don't make my cocktails with Crystal Light.

i agree with the poster who said it tasted like pool water.

the stuff from the taps did, anyway. The water you could fill your cup with at the buffet and bars tasted like that too.

The water at the dinner tables tasted 100% better - much "purer"

Aboard our ships, that which is not obtained by Reversed Osmosis is obtain through distillation. You cannot get purer water. If chlorination is used and I emphasise IF, it is really not needed but added to protect us and only in an amount that I personally cannot detect. Has anyone been to a plastic bottle mouding and fabricating plant? Not a pretty picture. Has anyone been to the water bottling plant of the so-called pure water? Having seen both believe me, what come out of the taps aboard our ships is a gift.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the water at dinner was good. The water in our cabin tasted like it was more clorinated. Like drinking pool water.

I found that water tasted a bit funny and worse if you drink it warm. I always bring a little britta water filter (the size of a water bottle) and that is all it takes to make it excellent drinking water and no cost.

Karen

For those that think the water "tastes funny":

The water onboard is vacuum-assist distilled. That means that it is put in a negative pressure vessel, and then heated. (Although not heated to 212... lowering the boiling point is what the vacuum is for.) This process removes the salt and sterilizes the water.

Because the 100% soft water this would produce is hard on plumbing (it leeches out copper from piping and brass valves) minerals are then added to harden it up somewhat and improve the taste.

I can think of a few reasons that it might taste funny:

- The mineral mix could be radically different than the water you drink at home. This accounts for pretty much all the taste difference between distilled bottled waters.

- The ship uses shore water supplies when docking at the mainland when it is safe and reasonably tasty to do so. (Generally U.S. and European home ports.) This might account for a chlorinated taste, which will of course be more noticeable if you do not drink chlorinated water at home.

- The ship's water will never be cold. This makes even the finest water seem "off", although I would call it "shower water" instead of "pool water."

I guess those with unusually sensitive taste buds might notice a taste difference, but you need not be concerned with the safety of the on-board supplies. However, note that the on-board supplies are used throughout the ship, including when water is necessary for drinks, dining room service, cooking, etc., so it is not possible to avoid it entirely.

For me, as long as it's cold and not complete nasty, I'm happy. (I'm currently in Australia, and it, like most countries, is not as big on ice as the U.S.) I keep my fridge at home on the hairy edge of freezing, so you might imagine this is a little frustrating...

SirWired

never ever had any problem with a ship's water from dining room or washroom (but not the toilet)

i think you will find it to be fine

as for the cost, who cares?? would you cancel cruise if it is $6??

dont worry about money you are ona holiday

hava great cruise

I wouldn't cancel a cruise if a bottle of water cost $6. I just wouldn't buy any. I know there is inflation on the ship, but when I can buy something for $1 on shore, no way will I spend $3 or more for the same item on the ship. $2 is fleecing, not a "convience charge".

I've drank the water at dinner (on other cruise lines) and it was fine. However we bring a case of water with us as well for convenience when going on shore b/c you don't want to drink water in Caribbean ports and also we don't have to keep going to the dining room to refill bottles. Guess our way is bad for the environment, but I do not think mega cruises are environmental, so I would suspect hyper environmental types do not cruise.

We usually try to board with a bottle each and refill them and keep them in the fridge. Sometimes on a tour we are given bottled water or we buy an extra one to take ashore so we often end up with 2 each so we can rotate them in the fridge. One in use and one cooling because as others have said, it comes out of the tap lukewarm.

Archived