It's Always Fun Until....

JKrise

It's been almost 10 years since I was in labadee, at the time there was no market!

Question: What is the take pictures with my monkey trick? I just saw this in Costa Maya .... and thougth it was cute, though I would be too skeeered to have a monkey on my back! What is the trick, you take the picture first and then they tell you the price?

Also, what is the issue about taking picturse of people dressed like trees in the rainforest? I guess that is their gimick for making money?

To the OP(?) who posted the story about his iipod .... I am always very cautious when I go into any port. I take off my rings and keep minimal valuables with me. I don't want to be mugged or robbed ~ it can happen anywhere. I think it is important to remember that as Canadians/Americans we need to be cautious of the fact that there is crime all around us. I could use my ipod in downtown Toronto or NYC and have it stolen just as easy as it could happen in a cruise port. We can't be lulled by a false sense of security, and I'm not sure its up to RCL to create that environment.

My point regarding security is that this is a "private destination" not the same as being in public. RCI is responsible for all persons and their actions on this property.

Yes I have learned many valuable lessons. I have done extensive travel and been the victim of several intersting scams such as $30 dollar shoe shine in Mexico to a $300 dollar bottle of cheap champagne in Europe.

My wife an I really enjoyed Labadee.

However, I just do not understand why Royal does not put forth and enforce a Standards of Conduct protocol for the selected vendors in the Haitian Flea Market.

The market has become widely known for the aggressivness of the vendors, and in turn avoidence by many passengers.

It is just a matter of time before the wrong combination of people meet and something goes very bad.

Royal's failure to develop and enforce a vendor marketing and sales conduct protocol would be a major contribution to this bad situation. Really bad corporate PR for an otherwise great company.

RCCI really needs to clean up the behaviour of their selected Haitian Flea Market vendors.

It's been there since 1986, how much time are you thinking?

The vendors are quite pushy in Labadee, but I have never felt threatened by them.

Personally, I do not mind it at all. In fact, I like bargaining with the vendors. I have gotten some great deals that way. I walk away if I am not interested in what they are selling. Yes, they do try to continue to sell, but I firmly tell them "not interested", and they will drop it, and move on to the next customer.

I enjoy the Haitian market and hope that they leave it the way that it is. I do not think that it is for everyone, but there is another market which offers set prices and no haggling.

I agree the vendors in Labadee can be pushy. It is how they make their living. There are only so many buyers there, and they all want us to buy from them. I enjoy bargaining with them, and am not intimidated by them. The key is to be able to say no to them, and move on. I have told them no, and they will follow me to the next few stores, and I just ignore them, and continue looking at other merchandise.

Try dealing with some of the vendors in other parts of the world. "No" can sometimes mean you are looking for a better price or want to start negotiating. If you have no intention of buying, do not stop to look at an item nor pick it up to examine it. Just say "no thanks" and keeping walking.

What may seem as being overly aggressive, is just normal for other cultures. When you leave your home country, you must be prepared to accept different ways other cultures have of doing business. It is uncomfortable for you? Is it different? Is it wrong? Or, are we trying to judge another culture by our standards?

What you may have misinterpreted as stealing your possessions, may have been interest and curosity. So much of the high tech devices we take for granted aren't as widely available in other parts of the world. While we are fortunate enough to afford to take a cruise, so many people in other parts of the world are engaged in a daily struggle just trying to make enough money to feed their families.

Really puts things into perspective.

As a good rule to follow, leave all the expensive at home when you travel to foreign lands or at least leave them in your safe on the ship. Then you will have no worries about someone trying to steal your possessions.

MARAPRINCE

My point regarding security is that this is a "private destination" not the same as being in public. RCI is responsible for all persons and their actions on this property.

Yes I have learned many valuable lessons. I have done extensive travel and been the victim of several intersting scams such as $30 dollar shoe shine in Mexico to a $300 dollar bottle of cheap champagne in Europe.

bwahahahahahahahahaha. That brought back memories of our $20 shoe shine in Chicago. Oh, I'd forgotten about that one .... need to remind DH!

anyone have an explanation on the take a picture with my monkey scam?

We try to keep our blinders on also while in the straw market. Every year we go to Labadee we make a point to go into the straw market and purchase the wooden hand carved bowls. We buy a variety of sizes and give them for Christmas presents. They are really attractive on an Entertainment center, or bookshelf and you can always talk them down to a reasonable price.

anyone have an explanation on the take a picture with my monkey scam?

I'm not sure if it's the same scam, but I have read about monkeys being trained to relieve you of your wallet, valuables, etc... as you smile at the camera ;)

Queen...

Question: What is the take pictures with my monkey trick? I just saw this in Costa Maya .... and thougth it was cute, though I would be too skeeered to have a monkey on my back! What is the trick, you take the picture first and then they tell you the price?

Also, what is the issue about taking picturse of people dressed like trees in the rainforest? I guess that is their gimick for making money?

No, this didn't happen in Labadee...maybe it was Costa Maya.

Anyway, the locals had their monkey there. I was thinking the monkeys were cute and so one of the locals said "You want to hold monkey?" and I said "Sure."...so I hold the mama monkey (her and the babies had diapers on). He said "I'll take picture with your camera."

I said "Okay." Duh, not thinking. He takes a picture of monkey mama and her babies on my head, arm, shoulder and same with my husband...with our digital camera.

Then he takes the monkey and says "Okay, that be $20.00"...hmm my husband says "I don't think I have $20.00."

My husband opens his wallet to check, and the guy is peeping into his wallet too. He said "There you have $20.00."

So my husband is like "Whatever."...and gives him $20.00 just to make him go away.

We walked away 20dollar-less and a few pics of monkey mama and babies on our head...and memories :)

I'm not sure if it's the same scam, but I have read about monkeys being trained to relieve you of your wallet, valuables, etc... as you smile at the camera ;)

oooh, gosh I'm glad that didn't happen to me...eeeks!

We are just as "ambushed" by the "homeless" in the "good ole USA", especially at stop lights/signs.

If you are in a foreign country..... expect the attitudes and behaviors to be different from what you might be more comfortable. And on Labadee there seems to be a very good "system" of control .... if you want to go to the local shopping area.... expect local conditions.... if you don't enjoy/want to experience the local culture.... dont' go to the area. Labadee is beautiful and there is plenty to do without "shopping".

thanks! at least he didn't take your camera while you were all occupied with the monkeys!

For $20 bucks its a vacation story you get to tell for years to come! Our chicago shoe shine was a very insistent guy who insisted on giving DH a free shoe shine. He actually got us to stop walking with a question about where we were visting from (first mistake - we stopped to answer!). Next thing we knew he was down on his knees and DH said "oh no thanks". The guy continued responding "no charge sir, its absolutely free". When we was done, he demanded a $20 gratuity. We were in a dark part of the hotel district all by our selves and were not about to challenge this guy.

hmmmm maybe we should start a thread about our best vacation scam stories!

I also mentioned this earlier. If you walk past the main building with all the aggressive vendors, there is a second building. The second building has all the same stuff, but without the very aggressive vendors. I recommend going to that one.

Never been to Labadee but this is good information.

I'd rather pay more and be relaxed about shopping.

Archived