P&O Passengers

William Hartnell

Since joining cruise critic I have visited lots of different British forums on the site. Most are very informative and good natured. When I visit this site some of the posts seem intollerant, bigoted and some posts just baffle me. Smokers, Kid haters, and Ocean Village cruisers seem to be particular targets.

If I sail on P&O am I likely to encounter this attitude throughout it's passengers? or is this just humour / banter from regular posters, which I just haven't caught up with? The thought of constant back biting and snipers doesn't seem to fit with the P&O image, but what do I know!

Hi we are first time cruisers and going with po ,i dont think they mean it but it does sound bad sometimes .Idont think everybody thinks like those who write on here but you never know ,some people just have to have a go at something or someone thats the way people are :D:cool::rolleyes:

You will probably find the same or similar topics on the Cunard forum. My forum name is nothing to do with Ocean Village by the way:D:D Smoking is still a volitile subject on most forums keenly supported by both pro and anti smoking lobbies. Kids are fine if they behave, most comments on here are not aimed at the wll behaved, they are usually seen and not heard:D. Enjoy your P & O cruise if you decide to go on one, on my last cruise, there was a friendly discussion on caravanners as well:D:D

on my last cruise, there was a friendly discussion on caravanners as well:D:D

LOL us to, we were a table for 8 one evening and the other 3 couples were all caravanners, a bit of banter ensued. When we finished dinner I suggested the 6 caravanners went on ahead and we would try (and fail) to overtake them on the way out of the dining room:)

Since joining cruise critic I have visited lots of different British forums on the site. Most are very informative and good natured. When I visit this site some of the posts seem intollerant, bigoted and some posts just baffle me. Smokers, Kid haters, and Ocean Village cruisers seem to be particular targets.

If I sail on P&O am I likely to encounter this attitude throughout it's passengers? or is this just humour / banter from regular posters, which I just haven't caught up with? The thought of constant back biting and snipers doesn't seem to fit with the P&O image, but what do I know!

I would take some of what is posted on here with a pinch of salt and not let it bother you. Most of them are all mouth and no trousers and there's a lot of sabre rattling:D.

You always get a certain number of whingers/moaners but that isn't exclusive to P&O, it happens on just about every cruise line and involves all nationalities. It's never been an issue for us on any of our cruises and certainly has never spoilt our cruise experiences.

Some of the posters on here do have extreme views of the way they want the world to be (for example, attitudes towards children is like a red rag to bull for me:eek: but I'm having therapy and hope to cured soon:D).

Don't stress it, if you sail with P&O you'll have a fab time!

Debbie:)

I think it's some of the traditional P&O passengers are proud of their brand but very resistance to change or modernisation..

Thoughts such as bringing families along for the cruise, or dressing different etc..

It probably started with Ventura's introduction and the steer away from smaller niche ships to larger family-friendly (dare I say it) mainstream cruises.

I think it's some of the traditional P&O passengers are proud of their brand but very resistance to change or modernisation..

Thoughts such as bringing families along for the cruise, or dressing different etc..

It probably started with Ventura's introduction and the steer away from smaller niche ships to larger family-friendly (dare I say it) mainstream cruises.

For me, it has more to do with the downgrading of standards over the years.

:mad:

In my experience most complaints are about such trivial things as;

'no sewing kit in the cabin'

'no salad course'

'the Alpen shortage'

'the captains humour'

'the price of photos'

None of them hardly likely to ruin your holiday. If I had a £ for every time I have heard 'P&O are cutting back' it would pay for a cruise.

Thranite, what don't you get now that you got in the past? Is it the clientelle or the service on the ship?

The standard across the current offering is not consistent. The fleet seems to be split from Oriana and Aurora at the top, trying to maintain the old standards of tradition, food and service and slips downward from that. The P&O product used to be just below the Cunard cruising (rather than crossing) product. Now, aside from these two ships, the gap is becoming a gulf. Arcadia, if the food could reach previous standards, may be able to rest at a slightly lower level than the other two, but with Artemis going, I don't hold out much hope for the rest. Grand Class simply does not fit the bill for me. If Adonia lives up to the Princess R ships, and I have sailed on Tahitian Princess, then she could be an excellent replacement for the old Victoria. One can but hope.

I can only speak from experience, the most recent being Aurora a couple of weeks ago, and that did, for the main part, reach my expected standard. Frankly, I don't like what is happening. However that is just my opinion.

God forbid, no salad course :confused: standards not up to much, next you'll be saying that the cutlery isn't sterling silver and the pictures are fastened to the walls. I shall take my custom elsewhere :rolleyes:

I imagine that you failed your comprehension test at school.

You asked a question. I answered it on the basis of experience. I made the mistake of assuming that you were serious.

I imagine that you failed your comprehension test at school.

You asked a question. I answered it on the basis of experience. I made the mistake of assuming that you were serious.

Obviously I was replying to Somerset Cruiser, which you posted just prior to my submission. You sir, have proved my original point, patronising and arogant. I learned manners at school, which is more than can be said for you!

We have done two cruises on Artemis. I heard awful things before I went and I also heard wonderful things. We had two brilliant cruises, food was great, entertainment was marvellous. Met some lovely people, also met some I wouldn't want to meet again, but on a ship, you don't have to mix with folk you don't like. Same as any walk of life.

As for forums. In my experience, they are all the same. You can't post something without another person taking a pot shot. I don't particularly want children on my table for 8 at second sitting. That doesn't mean I hate kids at all, just means I want to sit with adults at dinner. Just an example.

Have a wonderful time :-)

Just book your cruise and go and enjoy it,you'll never know till you do.

I tried it 4yr's ago gone every year since,the wife tell's me if it's not a cruise then there's no holiday(she must think she is the boss) but we aim to please.

People on board a cruise may get rattled about things but won't say anything, but on a cruise site they can say what they are thinking easier.

For example I HATE SUNBED HOGGERS!!! There is nothing worse than going to the lovely aft of a ship on a sunny sea day in the Med at 10am in the morning after breakfast and seeing ALL the sunbeds reserved with a towel!

I have paid for my cruise the same as the hogger, but that person seems to think they have the right to reserve a bed they are not even using and make me go to a shady part of the ship or miles away from the pool when I like a swim. Is that fair?

i could throw the towel in the corner of the deck and move the sunbed to a different position but I don't, as I would hate to get in a row with anyone... but on a cruise site we can all discuss how we like our cruise, AND offer advice and tips, and photos, which I do almost daily too.

But NO to answer your question, people on Pando cruises are nothing like people on here!

I HATE SUNBED HOGGERS!!! There is nothing worse than going to the lovely aft of a ship on a sunny sea day in the Med at 10am in the morning after breakfast and seeing ALL the sunbeds reserved with a towel!

I have paid for my cruise the same as the hogger, but that person seems to think they have the right to reserve a bed they are not even using and make me go to a shady part of the ship or miles away from the pool when I like a swim. Is that fair?

i could throw the towel in the corner of the deck and move the sunbed to a different position but I don't, as I would hate to get in a row with anyone... but on a cruise site we can all discuss how we like our cruise, AND offer advice and tips, and photos, which I do almost daily too.

quote]

I absolutely agree, but why do you tolerate it? If I cannot find a sunbed in order to maintain my magnificantly tanned physique, and there are "hogged" sunbeds around the pool, I find a member of the deck crew and ask that the belongings be removed in accordance with the stated policy. If they do not act, then I find an officer of sorts. On one occasion that officer was Steve Burgoyne.

D

People on board a cruise may get rattled about things but won't say anything, but on a cruise site they can say what they are thinking easier.

For example I HATE SUNBED HOGGERS!!! There is nothing worse than going to the lovely aft of a ship on a sunny sea day in the Med at 10am in the morning after breakfast and seeing ALL the sunbeds reserved with a towel!

But NO to answer your question, people on Pando cruises are nothing like people on here!

A sunny day in the Med at 10.00am I would have thought the majority of sunbeds would be occupied and not just have towels on them, I'm usually on deck by 8.00am and by 9.00am the serious sunbathers are out, I don't agree with towels on beds for hours on end but to be honest I have never really come across this, if you want a sunbed you can't really expect to turn up at 10.00am and have a choice.

William- I've travelled on 5 cruise lines now, and have found only a handful of difficult people altogether. On both P&O and Thomson, they are the same people you meet in a supermarket, pub, church, school, hospital- anywhere in the British Isles.Some will be richer, some poorer; some snootier, some humble and apologetic. They're just British people seen every day. If you met the people from this forum, you'd probably find that they're just the same, but it's easier to rant anonymously. :eek:

Jo.

We have been on 8 P&O cruises now and have never had any problems on board with other cruisers. You will find firstly, that the majority of P&O passengers do not post on cruise forums anyway and secondly, as has been mentioned, people write a lot of things on internet forums that they would not speak to people directly. We have only been cruising with P&O for the past 5 years but I can honestly say, in our opinion, there has not been a decline in standards. In fact, the food on our last cruise on Oceana in February, was amongst the best we have had on any cruise. Also the dress code was followed by about 99% of the passengers.

We are looking forward to our next cruise on Azura. From what we have read on the P&O site they are trying very hard to make her a traditional ship along the lines of Oriana and Aurora, very little is mentioned about "family friendly" although children are welcome on board.

I'm sure you will have a great time if you go prepared to enjoy yourself.:)

I have definitely come across it. I have watched a sunbed for an hour and then simply removed the towel and put them on a table. simple!

Come on, please tell me you had slightly better things to do on holiday than watching a sunbed for an hour.

Is it not normal to have fun on a cruise?

:)

Archived