Electrical Appliances in your Cabin.

dickwho

Definitive but well hidden! It used to also be in the Cruise Answer Book I thought but is certainly not in my latest one.
When I mentioned irons t DW she said she had seen it in the Cruise Answer Book as well.

What travel adaptor do I need fro Princess ships? we live in spain, where we use 2 round pin plugs, most adaptors are for UK which are 3 square pins

If you go to post #4 of this thread by Pam, you will see a picture of the type of outlet that is supplied in the stateroom that you will need the adaptor for. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067973&highlight=two+three+prong+outlet

What travel adaptor do I need fro Princess ships? we live in spain, where we use 2 round pin plugs, most adaptors are for UK which are 3 square pins

You will also need a transformer as the US type plugs have 120V.

Heating type appliances (coffee, irons, tea kettles, etc.) aren't the only kind of appliances that can start fires. A relatively new hazard is the lithium-ion batteries used in almost every notebook and netbook computer.

There is a very good U.S. Federal Aviation Administration training video on "Extinguishing In-Flight Laptop Computer Fires". It shows a spontaneous laptop fire at the LAX airport. To see the video, go to youtube and search on "Extinguishing In-Flight Laptop Computer Fires"

Part of the reason for this post is to point out that you cannot judge safety hazards solely on the type of appliance. How many of you bring laptop computers on board a cruise ship or an airplane? I know I do.

• 1 month later...

are small fans allowed? i get hot very easily and i find that the air conditioners in the cabins dont cool down enough for me..even with the drapes drawn and the balcony shut.

thank you.

are small fans allowed? i get hot very easily and i find that the air conditioners in the cabins dont cool down enough for me..even with the drapes drawn and the balcony shut.

thank you.

Yes. I have cruised with both plug-in and battery operated fans - I have the cabin fairly warm (I hate AC) but being able to turn the fan on for those moments of 'personal summers' works very well.

I have found the 6 inch 'O2 Cool' fan cheap, lightweight and durable - if you are flying in, stock up with batteries at the port as it's the batteries that are the heaviest bit. I also have a DC convertor for the fan but find it is more versatile just to use the battery option when travelling as I can position the fan exactly where I need it.

Actually' date=' you were not trapped in the area. The fire doors can be opened manually to allow passage. They are just not held open during the emergency.[/quote']

This is covered in the muster drill briefing:

"Fire screen doors, whilst heavy, can be opened in an emergency."

Sometimes, it pays to pay attention!

Yes. I have cruised with both plug-in and battery operated fans - I have the cabin fairly warm (I hate AC) but being able to turn the fan on for those moments of 'personal summers' works very well.

I have found the 6 inch 'O2 Cool' fan cheap, lightweight and durable - if you are flying in, stock up with batteries at the port as it's the batteries that are the heaviest bit. I also have a DC convertor for the fan but find it is more versatile just to use the battery option when travelling as I can position the fan exactly where I need it.

Thank you jolly!! i was hoping someone say that!

I am so relieved they don't want travel irons.I guess mine with an automatic shut off,plus the fact i am very careful doesn't count.:confused:I don't bring one anymore though.I just hang in the shower area and steam takes out wrinkles.Just wish the cruise lines were more concerned with passengers who have a few too many drinks and smoke in bed,a real fire hazard,more than a travel iron.I just wish they were truly consistent with safety issues.imho.

I play it safe and leave the small appliances at home and at least lessen the chance of an electrical fire. Besides, I'm on vacation. I don't want to iron, go to the laundromat, clean, cook, or make coffee in my cabin.:)

Dont think so, if they are from Spain then they should already be on 110v, for us from the UK even though we are on 240v we dont need transformers. Our travel kettles have a switch to alter the voltage from country to country.

• 2 months later...
Definitive but well hidden! It used to also be in the Cruise Answer Book I thought but is certainly not in my latest one.

Our cruise answer book for Ruby Princess states on p. 20 that irons and steamers (!) are not allowed in any stateroom. Irons are available in the laundry room. Pretty likely the room circuits are not up to the load.

You do not need a transformer if your item automatically can handle 110/220. Most laptop, iPod, cell phone chargers and such now automatically can switch power sources without a converter. Check the device itself and you should see the notation. For example, the charger for the laptop I'm using right now says "input 100-240V". If not, you may need a converter. (BTW, as someone said, there might be a voltage selection switch, but in many cases it can automatically detect and use the current correctly.)

Note for others: an "adaptor" simply adapts one type of plug to another type of outlet, it does not change the current. A "converter" changes the current from one type to another (and usually adapts from one plug to another in the process, say US to Europe). When is a converter needed? See paragraph above.

Archived