Does the Negativity Crush You?

sail7seas

Please tell me it's just me but there has been so much negativity lately, it amazes me.

If so many things about HAL displease you or you have so much to complain about being insufficient or unsatisfactory to your standard or desire, why in the world do you continue to book and sail with them? Some people cruise again and again with them and then come here and repeatedly have mostly negative things to say.

New cruisers come here and must wonder what in the world is going on. You don't like this or that but yet you have more cruises booked.

If you can only find negative things to say, repeatedly criticize other people's praise or appreciation, and almost never have a good thing to say about anything on the ships, why keep HAL a part of your life?

Find something that pleases you...... life is too short to waste on things that give you only things to complain about.

Anyone else notice this?

I think the negativity hurts but some are just that way. I tend to ignore a lot of it because after 14 years I know HAL. I think some are just fastidious to a point of disraction.

Basically I know HAL is an excellent Cruise Company and all the complaining will not change my mind.

Sail, Thank you for this thread!!

Yes, I've noticed the negativity and also cannot understand the reasoning behind quite a bit of it. But, I realize also, that while there are a few (thankfully, very few) that create the negative atmosphere, the majority of the Cruise Critic posters are good people trying to help others with their knowledge.

I want to thank all members of CC for being helpful and reassuring those of us who are new, fairly new and even some of you who are long time cruisers on the HAL line!! Those of you who have helped me since my joining in July 2009 have been invaluable to me in your help for info on my cruising experiences (all 3 of them :D) and thank you for your fantastic assistance with the HAL Staterooms/Cabins project!!

Joanie

Please tell me it's just me but there has been so much negativity lately, it amazes me.

If so many things about HAL displease you or you have so much to complain about being insufficient or unsatisfactory to your standard or desire, why in the world do you continue to book and sail with them? Some people cruise again and again with them and then come here and repeatedly have mostly negative things to say.

New cruisers come here and must wonder what in the world is going on. You don't like this or that but yet you have more cruises booked.

If you can only find negative things to say, repeatedly criticize other people's praise or appreciation, and almost never have a good thing to say about anything on the ships, why keep HAL a part of your life?

Find something that pleases you...... life is too short to waste on things that give you only things to complain about.

Anyone else notice this?

AMEN!!! COuldn't have said it better myself. :D

Anyone else notice this?

it is ironic that you brought this up. you're very vocal about one thing in particular.

no, if i don't like a business, i will let others know then vote with my feet.

it is ironic that you brought this up. you're very vocal about one thing in particular.

no, if i don't like a business, i will let others know then vote with my feet.

ONE thing being the point. We all have one or two things about which we'd like to see changes but there are a number here who don't have ONE thing GOOD to say. They seem to complain about everything.

You totally make my point. If you have many things about which you are unpleased, you take your business elsewhere. That is my question..... why do these dissatisified cruisers continue to sail HAL with almost nothing they find agreeable?

That is my question..... why do these dissatisified cruisers continue to sail HAL with almost nothing they find agreeable?

Simple answer...there are some in this world who live to moan, they get up in the morning determined to moan, whinge and generally be negative about anything & everything they can.

Like I suggested to one fellow guest on a Fred Olsen ship a few years ago when she started moaning about the cabin she had at evening meal...maybe if she didn't spend all her time on her knees & looking under the bed for dust bunnies, she might just see the beautiful scenery passing her porthole. Sadly the comment went right over her head and she continued her whinging.

Wins some, lose some....but if all else fails, the art of selective deafness really does work ;)

The negativity is not unique to the HAL boards. Venture over to the Azamara and Celebrity boards. You'll find just as many negative posts.

It seems the more people cruise the more they want every cruise to be every bit as good as their best cruise. If it's not, then they may take a negative view about some things, sometime justifiably so.

Joe

The negativity doesn't bother me, it just makes me happier that I am a person who doesn't sweat the small stuff. Let the party poopers just be negative. They probably don't enjoy life as much as all of us positive people:)

YES! and then I bet they complain that other people are annoyingly cheerful. :D

I am pretty new to this board but have noticed a lot of negativity. However, I take it all with a grain of salt. I use this to see what people like, don't like, suggestions for improvements, etc. I have only sailed twice in my life and both with HAL and loved it and am not willing yet to even try another cruise line I was that impressed with HAL. I have my son hooked (he is 25) on HAL after sailing with us and he has more cruises than I have now! :eek:

The negativity doesn't bother me, it just makes me happier that I am a person who doesn't sweat the small stuff. Let the party poopers just be negative. They probably don't enjoy life as much as all of us positive people:)

That is pretty much my stance as well.

If people are so miserable that all they can do is complain, I feel sorry for them.

I KNOW what my experiences have been and I also know that any extreme position needs to be tempered. i.e. "This was the WORST cruise ever" vs. "This cruise was PEFECT with not a single issue". Likely neither statement is true and you often see both posted regarding any given sailing on any given ship.

Did I miss something? This board goes through negative periods, but not very recently. It isn't negative to want fewer/more smoking locations, less/more formal dress, less restrictive/more restrictive dress codes, no Master Chef Dinner/more "theme" dinners...

I consider negative posts those that:

Have more bad than good about a ship or cruise

Go on and on about how HAL doesn't do this and this and this and... that their favorite cruiseline does

Go on and on about a single problem

Go on and on about a single problem that was of their own making

Use the boards to try to get something from HAL

As a new member to cc i have been terribly disapointed about all the negativity. Especially as i've never found anything that i would go to all the trouble some of these folks seem to . As some are on thread after thread. Just cruise, be happy, be thankful you can cruise when there are so many in the world who can't. Helen

The constant negativity drives me absolutely NUTS!

There's nothing wrong with bringing up a legitimate complaint; as I stated in a thread yesterday, it's when I see reviews or posts that disintegrate into a run-on, ALL-CAPS, exclamation mark-laden rant about some perceived injustice, resulting in 'we'll never sail with blah-blah-blah line again' that I tune out.

:)Does not bother me one bit

It is that way in general

A small portion of the population thinks that life should be a one way trip down the Yellow Brick Road

IF a minor situtation occurs it will ruin the entire trip

A cruise, as in everything in life, is what you make it

If you want to see things in a positive light you will, if you are constantly looking for the negative you will also find that

I have found that the positive outweighs the negative ALL THE TIME

Be content with yourself and you will enjoy life

NO CRUISE IS A BAD CRUISE be glad you can take one:):):)

I am going on my third cruise, each one has been on a different line....not because I found fault in any of the previous ships but because of the itinerary. I have always believed that if you have unrealistic expectation you will always be disappointed and have a negative experience.

Your vacation or for that matter your life is what you make it, you can't rely on others to make your experiences great, they can certainly enhance them but ultimately they are yours to create. I have read lots of reviews on these board, lots have been negative but I don't form my opinions from them, I would rather experience it my way.....I love my vacations and can't wait to make new memories:)

Maybe they feel Cruise Critic is a safe place to come and vent, maybe they have other issues going on in their lives.... either way we are a lot cheaper than therapy.:)

Not much can be done about someone's nature Sail, except apply the theory that talks about water and a duck's back and indeed wonder why someone would subject themselves to less a than satisfactory experience again and again.

I write from the perspective one who has never having been on a cruise and is planning my first. I spent a lot of time reading reviews trying to pick the "right" ship and itinerary. It didn't seem to matter which cruise line I researched, there were all "wrong". Did we really want to risk spending that much money, only to be burned? Like all other info on the internet, you have to sort through all the chaff to get useful info. I tend to discount a lot of the negative reviews that fit into a few categories:

1. Uninformed: "Who knew I would have to pay for drinks?/the cabins are so small/I had to do this stupid lifeboat drill"

2. Unlucky: "They messed up my account/there was no hot water/my table mates were obnoxious/vibrations/smells/etc...".

3. Single-issue voter: "everything was wonderful but the cruise was ruined because our cabin steward didn't speak good English"

4. So vague as to be useless: "the food was bad/the service was bad/etc"

5. Irrelevant: "Shopping in the port cities was bad."

6. Spoiled: "the 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets were really only 1200!"

Excessively glowing reviews that sound like they were copied from the cruise line literature are also less than helpful.

We picked the Ryndam in July and looking forward to a great time (assuming the we get a good thread count on the sheets;))

Did I miss something? This board goes through negative periods, but not very recently. It isn't negative to want fewer/more smoking locations, less/more formal dress, less restrictive/more restrictive dress codes, no Master Chef Dinner/more "theme" dinners...

I consider negative posts those that:

Have more bad than good about a ship or cruise

Go on and on about how HAL doesn't do this and this and this and... that their favorite cruiseline does

Go on and on about a single problem

Go on and on about a single problem that was of their own making

Use the boards to try to get something from HAL

Must agree. I haven't seen so much negativity lately, either. The usual banging on about smoking and ashtrays of the seas, bathrobes, etc. That's about it in recent weeks. Oh, and the usual for/against formal nights.

Seems everyone is united about crappy desserts, though.:cool:

I write from the perspective one who has

We picked the Ryndam in July and looking forward to a great time (assuming the we get a good thread count on the sheets;))

Hope this doesn't sound as if I'm a HAL employee but you will LOVE your cruise.................the ship is a nice size and immaculate. The crew is wonderful..............eager to make you feel as if you are their personal guests and to help you with any/everything.

Welcome the HAL!:)

Does the Negativity Crush You?
Absolutely not. I think these boards are put here for cruising information and opinions from cruisers, good, bad, or indifferent. Is there more negativity right now, awe maybe.......I don't know. I think I read just as many positives as negatives, certainly you can't have everything be "sugar and light" all the time, there always will be some complaining going on. Does that mean these people should not post, absolutely not. I don't know about OP, I like to be informed. I judge all these threads with a grain of salt, as OP mentioned and I always make my own decision on a particular cruise, cruise ship, or cruise line.

odd_man_out: might I add

7. Obsessed: HAL is terrible because there are no trays in the Lido and ships are as smoky as a forest fire!!! It doesn't matter what your question was, that's my answer!!

:D

Archived