Italian restaurant recommendation San Diego

swifty

We just returned this week from Radiance MexRiv, which included a 3-night pre-cruise stay in San Diego. We went to Sammy's Woodfired Pizza, which is in the Gaslamp district downtown. Wonderful restaurant! Address: 770 Fourth Avenue. Don't miss out on the sundae for dessert. Hint: It's huge, so plan to share....;)

Karen

Sorry, Sammy's is a chain, but I agree it is tasty-I've been there. I (in SD over 30 yrs) recommend:

Buon Appetito:1609 India St, San Diego, 619 238-9880

Cucina Urbana: Downtown 505 Laurel St, San Diego (619) 239-2222

Some may recommend Spaghetti Factory. Please don't do that tourist thing. Unless you are taking your kids. Kids love it. We took our kids when they were little lots of times.

Or; just go to Little Italy and check out the restaurants and pick out the one that smells good. It's not too far and there are lots of really home style Italian places there. Have a great time. Vick

We just returned this week from Radiance MexRiv, which included a 3-night pre-cruise stay in San Diego. We went to Sammy's Woodfired Pizza, which is in the Gaslamp district downtown. Wonderful restaurant! Address: 770 Fourth Avenue. Don't miss out on the sundae for dessert. Hint: It's huge, so plan to share....;)

Karen

Definitely a great restaurant!

While Sammy's Woodfired Pizzas are good, it is NOT an Italian restaurant. It is nuevelle pizza more like California Pizza Kitchen (chain).

I would opt for Filippi's if you want a good basic, simple, and not fancy Italian restaurant (and especially if you want pizza, although they do serve more)...checkered table cloths, drippy candles in Chianti bottles, the works. I have been eating at Filippi's for 56 years now...it is a San Diego institution!

Buon Appetito and Cucina Urbana are more upscale, a little more formal, but good if you want a more gourmet Italian restaurant.

We just returned from the "Sea of Cortez" cruise and the night before we left, we walked through Little Italy on India Street. We finally decided on "Mona Lisa" which is not far North from the 7/11 Store on India. It is about 50 years + and has an interesting Italian "grocery" store as part of the building. We would go there again, as the food was tasty and the prices not sky-high.:) Ciao!! hmh

Getting ready to board the Radiance. We stayed two nights pre cruise; ate at Buon Appetito the first night and Fillippi's last night. Both were very good. Buon Appetito is more expensive and up scale while Fillipi's is very inexpensive with good grub. We had penne arabiata with a bottle of sangiovese at Buon Appetito ($57) and spaghetti with sauce and a carafe of the house Chianti ($26) at Fillipi's. As I said, each was a different experience but they were both very good. Enjoy!

• 2 years later...

Given that posters are encouraged to do searches rather than start new threads I am not sure why the previous poster's remark re the age of this thread is necessary.

That said, we have enjoyed a very nice dinner at Petrini's and will certainly go back in the future.

http://www.petrinisitalian.com/

I don't think it is worth my time to wait on line at Filippi's when there are sooo many other restaurants available nearby. When we go out for Italian food we don't usually order pizza. We save that to bring in at home. Everyone has different taste when it comes to food so it is hard to recommend to folks you don't really know.

We ate at Buon Apetito last night and enjoyed it. Next door is Sogno di Vigno which is a wine bar with small plates for those with smaller appetites!

Archived