Harwich, England (Scandinavia) Transfer request for help

There really is no point in doing round-trip RCI transfers if they will take you back to the airport. The cruise ship transfers to/from the airports are really only intended for people who are connecting directly to flights.

Just do the one-way RCI transfer and come back to London independently. It is simple and straightforward and much less hassle than messing about with the transfer to the airport and having to double back on yourself to get back into town independently afterwards.

And the easiest way to do this and get to the Milestone Hotel..details please...

And the easiest way to do this and get to the Milestone Hotel..details please...
The easiest: take the train from Harwich International (right at the cruise ship terminal) to London Liverpool Street station, and then a taxi to your hotel.

The easiest: take the train from Harwich International (right at the cruise ship terminal) to London Liverpool Street station, and then a taxi to your hotel.

What about luggage on the train..will have 2 pieces pp (two of us)..how is that handled ?...This sounds easier than I thought !!..Any idea of the cost in US$ and approx. how far will our hotel be from Liverpool St. ?.. Sorry about so many ???...

A single fare is about £25 per person from Harwich to Liverpool Street. A taxi from Liverpool Street to the hotel will probably be about £20, possibly £25.

You'd have to put the luggage on board the train yourself and find somewhere to stow it - improvisation is the usual order of the day. But it's not difficult - we all do it all the time. One thing that helps is that station platforms are at about the same level as the train carriage floors, so there's little lifting involved. If you've got wheeled luggage, it'll be very easy to move it around at both ends.

A single fare is about £25 per person from Harwich to Liverpool Street. A taxi from Liverpool Street to the hotel will probably be about £20, possibly £25.

You'd have to put the luggage on board the train yourself and find somewhere to stow it - improvisation is the usual order of the day. But it's not difficult - we all do it all the time. One thing that helps is that station platforms are at about the same level as the train carriage floors, so there's little lifting involved. If you've got wheeled luggage, it'll be very easy to move it around at both ends.

Sorry..The rail system and all that it entails is so foreign to most of us on this side of the pond..especially those of us on the west coast (california)....Not concerned about lifting luggage (yes it has wheels) DH and I are very young 60's in good health...So there is room on the train for us to stow it ? I know all my questions will probably seem silly to me once I get there ....Your help, time and patience is so very much appreciated !!! You're making this sound so much easier than I expected..Thank you..Thank you !!!

So there is room on the train for us to stow it ?
Yes, don't worry - there will be space. If the train is not busy, you can store it on pretty much any available floor space, although blocking the aisles is not a good idea. Some trains have space between the seat backs where there are seats join back-to-back; sometimes you can just obstruct some seats; some train carriages have some dedicated luggage space at the ends of the carriages.

The only times when space might be an issue is if you choose to take one of the trains that will get a lot of commuters on board during the morning peak. But that only happens earlier on weekday mornings; most people going to work will have got to Liverpool Street by 9.30 am at the latest.

And it really is easy!

Yes, don't worry - there will be space. If the train is not busy, you can store it on pretty much any available floor space, although blocking the aisles is not a good idea. Some trains have space between the seat backs where there are seats join back-to-back; sometimes you can just obstruct some seats; some train carriages have some dedicated luggage space at the ends of the carriages.

The only times when space might be an issue is if you choose to take one of the trains that will get a lot of commuters on board during the morning peak. But that only happens earlier on weekday mornings; most people going to work will have got to Liverpool Street by 9.30 am at the latest.

And it really is easy!

Yes..It's me again !! What are the times the Train leaves Harwich ? Is there more than one ? How long will the trip take to get to Liverpool Street ? You'll probably be glad when I'm done with my constant questions !! Thanks again ever so much !!!

What are the times the Train leaves Harwich ? Is there more than one ? How long will the trip take to get to Liverpool Street ?
This depends on your travel date. Generally, there's one an hour, it goes direct to Liverpool Street, and takes about 1½ hours to do so. Things can be different at weekends.

On some cruise ship days, there's an additional train aimed at cruise ship passengers that goes non-stop to Liverpool Street. That's about 15 minutes faster, but there is no other real difference about it.

More details about trains times and fares on the National Rail website, and about the additional cruise ship trains on the Port of Harwich website.

This depends on your travel date. Generally, there's one an hour, it goes direct to Liverpool Street, and takes about 1½ hours to do so. Things can be different at weekends.

On some cruise ship days, there's an additional train aimed at cruise ship passengers that goes non-stop to Liverpool Street. That's about 15 minutes faster, but there is no other real difference about it.

More details about trains times and fares on the National Rail website, and about the additional cruise ship trains on the Port of Harwich website.

We will be returning into Harwich on a Monday morning Aug 23rd..so looks like we might have more than one Train departure time to choose from..Thank's so very much for all your advice and time spent..with my none stop questions..... I may return for more..:D !!!!.Cheers !!

• 1 month later...

Just saw your message about transfers to/from Harwich.

Recently went on the RCL JOS out of and back into Harwich. (May 31 - June 12)

Our transfers to and from London were booked through a Harwich based taxi service via internet and text messages. The name of the contact is Tony Armstrong - email is marcaida@btinternet.com.

I cannot say enought nice things about Tony and his son Adrian. Excellent personal service with all the extras you would ever need or want.....

Cheryl

Just returned from our cruise of Scandinavia and self-guided tour of England.. AVOID the train with all the luggage would be my personal advise. We booked car shuttle service through www.blackberrycars.com three times during our month long vacation. Excellent 24 hour customer service, reasonable rates, friendly drivers, prompt service ( always waiting for us), new vans. We had 6 suitcases, 4 carryons, and 4 adults. More than enough room in the vans.

We did the train thing from Liverpool to London. NIGHTMARE!!! with luggage. Agent at the ticket office told us "people travel with luggage all the time." When we arrived we hauled the luggage into the train car only to be told the luggage hold was clear at the end of the train. So off with all the luggage, re-loaded it, then ran back to our car at the front of the train.

I know many will say it's not that hard. For us, the car hire was much more convenient.

Happy Travels,

Heidi

Bon voyage - as you sail out of Harwich you will pass Felixstowe (on the opposite side of the mouth of the river) which is the largest container port in Europe.

Actually not -- Rotterdam, Hamburg, Antwerp, Bremen, Valencia, Gioia Tauro, and Algeciras are all larger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world%27s_busiest_container_ports

We took the Jewel from Harwich last year. We were in Paris 4 days prior and purchased air on our own. We purchased the RC transfers to and from Harwich. We needed to be at the airport to pick up the shuttles. They had 2 per day.

If you purchased air with RC your transfers ARE included. If you are staying at the RC hotel they will pick you up there. If you booked independent hotel, you just need to get yourself to the airport or to THEIR hotel.

The coach ride was air conditioned and very nice. About 2 hrs through lovely english countryside.!!!:p:p

Archived