Shuttle to walmart in ketchikan

Shirley C

No disrespect meant, but, why would you want to go to a Walmart in Ketchikan? There is so much to see there.

Shelley

I was wondering the same thing...do people not have any sense of adventure anymore?

• Like 1

I had an emergency trip to Walmart to purchase something ... don't remember what now. The crew was waiting for the shuttle and when it came it was every man for himself. Good luck ... I was really turned off by the pushing and shoving of the crew and their attitudes on the shuttle.

• Thanks 1

No disrespect meant, but, why would you want to go to a Walmart in Ketchikan? There is so much to see there.

Shelley

How many people do you know who go to Europe and then rsve about the McDs that they go to? Same thing. People travel but do not want to leave home.

DON

Well on the cruise I just returned from, we had to walk about a mile to get to Wal-Mart because they wouldn't let us out any exit but the one the farthest away (in the port of PV) so it entailed LOTS of walking but there was a stream of people.

Sometimes people forget things.........like sunscreen or their meds...........

WM was full of crew, etc. buying toothpaste, etc.

Let's understand, too, that in some ports going to a Wal-Mart is much easier than buying from the vendors who are baragining for your attention and wanting you to haggle.

In Juneau I always rent a car to go to the Museum and onto Douglas Island and other places.................and we often stop at Fred Meyer for snacks for the airplane ride home, etc.

I've never been to W-M in Ketchikan, though:eek:...........have seen the shuttle, however.

• Thanks 1

The city bus also goes there. It is the same route that goes to Totem Bight and I think it costs about a dollar, half price for seniors. You can catch the bus near the tunnel that is near the cruise docks. The visitors desk on shore can give you more details about schedules and where exactly to catch the bus.

I always find it interesting to check out local grocery and hardware stores when travelling. Seeing what they have for sale can be revealing about the local culture. Gold pans for sale in the hardware store in Skagway for instance. Walmart can be a bit more homogenous, but sometimes you just need stock up. I am guilty of this as well. Several years ago while going camping in Hawaii, the first place that we went to after we got off the plane was to Walmart :p:eek::D.

• Thanks 1

I was really turned off by the pushing and shoving of the crew and their attitudes on the shuttle.

PLEEEESE.....:( It's worth remembering this shuttle if for THEIR use, and utilized by the few crew members who have their ''day off'' at that port.

They deserve at the very least a bit of respect for this little perk of theirs; even if they shove each other on board....we ought to discreetely leave them alone; it's the least we can do.

Ketchikan is a small community; should someone feels he/she must go to Walmart , a short taxi ride will do the trick.

cheers

C

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PLEEEESE.....:( It's worth remembering this shuttle if for THEIR use, and utilized by the few crew members who have their ''day off'' at that port.

They deserve at the very least a bit of respect for this little perk of theirs; even if they shove each other on board....we ought to discreetely leave them alone; it's the least we can do.

Ketchikan is a small community; should someone feels he/she must go to Walmart , a short taxi ride will do the trick.

cheers

C

:)

THANKS c-legs..................they rarely get a chance to go ashore and why should WE use space on THEIR shuttle?:cool:

We find riding the city bus is a great way to meet the locals and hear their stories. They can tell you what you never read in the guide books and the best sights to see. Love their stories of adventures. One lady we met had grown up on an island near Ketchikan and they only came ashore by canoe and only in the summer!

• Like 1

The city bus also goes there. It is the same route that goes to Totem Bight and I think it costs about a dollar, half price for seniors. You can catch the bus near the tunnel that is near the cruise docks. The visitors desk on shore can give you more details about schedules and where exactly to catch the bus.

I always find it interesting to check out local grocery and hardware stores when travelling. Seeing what they have for sale can be revealing about the local culture. Gold pans for sale in the hardware store in Skagway for instance. Walmart can be a bit more homogenous, but sometimes you just need stock up. I am guilty of this as well. Several years ago while going camping in Hawaii, the first place that we went to after we got off the plane was to Walmart :p:eek::D.

I love to go into super markets. I really can get a sense of what it is like to live there by that:) I have done this in all the different countries I have visited, and even the different states within the US. It is really a neat thing to do. Walmart is too the same no matter where you are.

No disrepect to the OP, but I'm curious as to your intentions/reasoning for wanting to go to Walmart in Ketchikan of all places. I understand the people that need to go for a forgotten item, emergency, etc. But actually planning to go to Walmart at an Alaskan port in the middle of an itinerary? This seems odd to me.

If there is something that is absolutely needed, why not get it at your departure port (Vancouver, Seattle, etc) or plan on bringing it on board?

• Like 1

There is a group who feel they can get better deals on Alaska products by going to a place like Walmart. If they want t-shirts or other such things, there is a certain segment of the cruising public who feel they will pay less for those things at a Walmart or KMart. I don't understand it, but I guess it's what some do. I sure don't want to waste my port time going to a Walmart, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Shelley

I was wondering the same thing...do people not have any sense of adventure anymore?

No disrepect to the OP, but I'm curious as to your intentions/reasoning for wanting to go to Walmart in Ketchikan of all places. I understand the people that need to go for a forgotten item, emergency, etc. But actually planning to go to Walmart at an Alaskan port in the middle of an itinerary? This seems odd to me.

If there is something that is absolutely needed, why not get it at your departure port (Vancouver, Seattle, etc) or plan on bringing it on board?

Why all the judgements (oh wait the dreaded "I mean no disrespect" was included?:rolleyes:)

Maybe.....just maybe they like to know where something is just in case they needed something? A prescription? More film? A certain over the counter medicine? Maybe they figured they would be out of something by the time they got to this port...let's say....soda...don't want to buy the soda card and don't want to carry on a whole case....so while they were in Ketchikan they decided to by more?

Just for the record...my husband is a diabetic...I know were every pharmacy AND Wal-mart (his prescription are there) is in every port.

Why can't someone just ask a simple question? We really don't need to know why.

• Like 2

Why all the judgements (oh wait the dreaded "I mean no disrespect" was included?:rolleyes:)

Maybe.....just maybe they like to know where something is just in case they needed something? A prescription? More film? A certain over the counter medicine? Maybe they figured they would be out of something by the time they got to this port...let's say....soda...don't want to buy the soda card and don't want to carry on a whole case....so while they were in Ketchikan they decided to by more?

Just for the record...my husband is a diabetic...I know were every pharmacy AND Wal-mart (his prescription are there) is in every port.

THANK YOU and AMEN!

Who said I was being judgemental? Perhaps you are being judgemental in questioning my motives. I was simply curious as to why someone wants to go to a Walmart in Ketchikan. Perhaps they have items unique to Alaska there that are not found anywhere else, like Native crafts. When I was in Alaska, I had difficulty finding souvenirs that were actually made there and not made in China.Sure people can ask simple questions and sometimes knowing the why for that question will help in giving an answer to it.

Shelley

• Like 1

How many people do you know who go to Europe and then rsve about the McDs that they go to? Same thing. People travel but do not want to leave home.

DON

Years ago I went to Versailles, and very short on both blood sugar and time, I had lunch at McDonalds. The burger and the fries were terrific. We had some great meals that week in Paris, but I will always remember that lunch with a smile.

I'm not by all means being judgmental. And I say no disrespect because it really can't be communicated that easily over these message boards. I'm not berating the OP, I'm merely curious as to why somebody would plan a trip to Walmart in the middle of a cruise when to me it seems like this could be taken care of ahead of time.

If anything, you are judging those of us that merely responded to this OP's thread. The OP asked a simple question. I asked a simple follow-up question.

Has anyone take the shuttle to the Walmart in Ketchikan? Any info on where to get it, how long it takes to get there, how often it runs, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.

Geez ~ I was hoping I would get at least one response to my question. Who knew it would create such a flurry of activity and discussion.

Not that it should really matter, but having a place to pick up items that I forgot or couldn't take on the plane, and medications, is why I was asking. I went to the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta for the same reasons, and trust me, I was far from the only cruise person in the store.

People go on vacation for all sorts of reasons, and choose what they want to do for all sorts of reasons. Especially when I go to places I have already been, such as Ketchikan, I don't particularly want to spend the entire day on excursions and tours. I will go to the Walmart in Ketchikan to get what I need, and will spend the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying the port.

Edited by Shirley C
  • Like 2

Geez ~ I was hoping I would get at least one response to my question. Who knew it would create such a flurry of activity and discussion.

Not that it should really matter, but having a place to pick up items that I forgot or couldn't take on the plane, and medications, is why I was asking. I went to the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta for the same reasons, and trust me, I was far from the only cruise person in the store.

People go on vacation for all sorts of reasons, and choose what they want to do for all sorts of reasons. Especially when I go to places I have already been, such as Ketchikan, I don't particularly want to spend the entire day on excursions and tours. I will go to the Walmart in Ketchikan to get what I need, and will spend the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying the port.

I'm sorry I meant to come back and actually tell you what I've learned...the city bus goes every half hour from the eagle in the center of the square. If you go to the town's website and look under transportation they have the exact time there. I'm on another computer now and can't really access it right at the moment.It's $1.00 and does indeed go to WalMart.

Who said I was being judgemental? Perhaps you are being judgemental in questioning my motives. I was simply curious as to why someone wants to go to a Walmart in Ketchikan. Perhaps they have items unique to Alaska there that are not found anywhere else, like Native crafts. When I was in Alaska, I had difficulty finding souvenirs that were actually made there and not made in China.Sure people can ask simple questions and sometimes knowing the why for that question will help in giving an answer to it.

Shelley

As others have pointed out it's hard to read emotions on a forum. When you wrote this:

No disrespect meant, but, why would you want to go to a Walmart in Ketchikan?

It's not bad but when you added this:

There is so much to see there.

It comes off as..why in the world would you want to go to WalMart when there's so much to do and see in a beautiful place like Ketchikan.

But now that you've added that you're merely curious as to what might be found there it doesn't come off as judgemental.

So that's what I based my "judgement" on.

I always find it interesting to check out local grocery and hardware stores when travelling. Seeing what they have for sale can be revealing about the local culture.

This was amazing to read because I could been the one who wrote the exact words. I guess I am not the only one who thinks this way and perhaps we are kindred spirits. My husband knows about my penchant for local supermarkets and hardware stores and always tries to find some for me wherever we happen to be. I have checked out hardware stores all over the world :)

I happen to dislike the idea of shopping for cheap, tacky souvenirs and I never buy them. I think most of these end up in people's garages and then in garage sales. Total waste of money! But the interesting things which I had purchased during my travels and which came from local supermarkets or hardware stores serve a useful purpose in my house (and elicit many compliments from visitors).