How Long Can I Stay On?

MaryBethMT

I was wondering how long I can stay on the ship the last day. I know most people have flights to catch or other things to do, but we aren't flying out until late afternoon and would like to stay onboard as long a possible.

Thanks for your help.

You'll be up and out early -- no later than 10 or 10:30, for certain. Look out at all those people standing there on the dock, waiting to get ON! :)

You'll need to find something fun to do in town, until your flight...

Last cruise we were on until around 10:45. It was great to have a nice relaxing morning, enjoy a quiet breakfast and just wander around the ship for one last look! Remember tho, you keep your luggage and take it off yourself when you leave the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

In January of 2009, we were told we could stay in our cabins until we were called to disembark. A couple of weeks ago we were told everyone had to be out of their cabins by 9am. While it was nice for us passengers to be able to lounge about, I have a feeling it was a nightmare for the cabin stewards who were trying to turn the cabins for the next guests.

In my experience the cabin stewards will "get nervous" if you try to stay in your cabin past about 9:30. Also note that most everything on the ship will close down by 9:00 for cleaning, restocking, etc.

In my view it is "no fun" to stay on the ship under these circumstances, so I would try to plan some shore-side activities to look forward to. I try to find an excursion that will drop me at the airport. But invariably you may end up needing to kill time at the airport. :-(

For sure be out of your cabin by 9, I went back to my cabin once to use the bathroom and was walked in on by a room steward. Agghh!!! I was upset but in retrospect it was kind of dumb of me to do so. :o

I was wondering how long I can stay on the ship the last day. I know most people have flights to catch or other things to do, but we aren't flying out until late afternoon and would like to stay onboard as long a possible.

Thanks for your help.

10am-ish...and that's if you carry your own bags off...that way you can have breakfast and linger for a bit, w/o being color-coded and called to disembark...so pack light! ;)

In January of 2009, we were told we could stay in our cabins until we were called to disembark. A couple of weeks ago we were told everyone had to be out of their cabins by 9am. While it was nice for us passengers to be able to lounge about, I have a feeling it was a nightmare for the cabin stewards who were trying to turn the cabins for the next guests.

Exactly...They really need to get in there for the next cruise...I also find, that the morning of leaving is better to just get going, cause everything closes down for the most part and the "energy" of the ship and crew, is really to get you to disembark and get ready for all the new folks coming in...Not a bad thing, just the way it is...I always feel envious as I leave and see all the new passengers lined up ready to board...:( I wanna go!

We just got back a week ago from our 3/20/10 Bahamas cruise on the Gem. The "Just Chill" (the paper like the freestyle daily they give you for the final day) said to be out of the cabins by 10am and the latest luggage tag was lime green at 11:20am.

These times do depend on the cruise and the port.

After breakfast there isn't a lot you can do on debark day. Last year we took a final dip in the pool before debarking in LA.

In my experience the cabin stewards will "get nervous" if you try to stay in your cabin past about 9:30.
Although we are often on the ship until the very last call, we do try to get out of the cabin so that the stewards can get cracking with what they have to do. At most, we might leave our bags in a corner while we have breakfast. But then we will wait in one of the public areas, which rapidly empty out during the stampede to get off the ship quickly.

However, I think that the latest we have ever been allowed to stay on has been just after 10.30, and by then we got the feeling that security were about to come and physically carry us off.

Although we are often on the ship until the very last call, we do try to get out of the cabin so that the stewards can get cracking with what they have to do.

On one occasion I deliberately selected the last departure "color" and asked the steward if I could stay in my cabin until the group was called. She said that would be fine, as they had lots of other cabins to work on.

But then her assistant came knocking two different times (despite the "do not disturb" sign), so I "gave up" and left (probably around 9:45). My color had not yet been called, but I debarked anyway.

After that experience I generally plan to leave the ship earlier, even if I have no where on shore to go.

Last cruise we were on until around 10:45. It was great to have a nice relaxing morning, enjoy a quiet breakfast and just wander around the ship for one last look! Remember tho, you keep your luggage and take it off yourself when you leave the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

What time was your docking?? I've never heard of being able to stay on any cruise ship past 10am at the very latest.

In my view it is "no fun" to stay on the ship under these circumstances, so I would try to plan some shore-side activities to look forward to.

Exactly! I would rather pass the morning at the airport rather than on a disembarking cruise ship!

When we have late afternoon flights, we usually try to get off the ship at a convenient time (not late) and take a taxi or shuttle to the airport. There, we pick up a rental car we have reserved in advance.

Then, we go off shopping or to to beach, or whereever we want to go, and come back to the airport for the flight.

A rental for one day, usually a weekend day, is surprising inexpensive, and a great way to add more fun to your vacation!

Thanks for your help.

I agree with the other posts. They're keen to get you ashore so the ship can be cleaned and ready for the next passengers.

We did have an unusual circumstance aboard the Norwegian Star a couple of year back, when it was one of four ships which arrived on the same day at Canada Place/Vancouver. It was a madhouse, and everyone was delayed in getting ashore.

They had already cleaned our cabin, but let us sit on the balcony and read our books till we finally got off around 12:00 PM.

As others have said, the atmosphere is different, and most things are closed down. Best to get ashore and keep the happy memories! :)

I remember disembarkation day on the Jewel. We had an outside on deck 5. We were right above where the luggage was being unloaded. It was very early. I was already sleep-deprived since my mom had been sick with bronchitis. Well, I got up and walked around the ship to try and kill time. The gym was closed, the walking deck was being hosed down, everywhere I went felt "closed". I feel like disembarkation day is all about the next pax... And I really get that!

Archived