Dress Code

cruisesoon

I will be going on my first Oceania cruise soon. I have been reading our documents carefully and noticed it said for dinner "shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not premitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill and Toscana." I was just wondering about the sandals part. I would never wear flip flops but was planning on wearing leather sandals at night. Now I don't know if I should even bring them. Please let me know what women wear on their feet. Thanks.

I will be going on my first Oceania cruise soon. I have been reading our documents carefully and noticed it said for dinner "shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not premitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill and Toscana." I was just wondering about the sandals part. I would never wear flip flops but was planning on wearing leather sandals at night. Now I don't know if I should even bring them. Please let me know what women wear on their feet. Thanks.

Nail polish.;)

I would never wear flip flops but was planning on wearing leather sandals at night. Now I don't know if I should even bring them. Please let me know what women wear on their feet. Thanks.

Are they dress type sandals or beach type?

I take the dress type for dinner

If you do a search here there are several threads on shoes & dress types

Lyn

I agree--I wore sandals with a slight heel or wedge every night for dinner on every O cruise. They don't weigh much and take up very little room in the suitcase so they are perfect.

Most of the women wore sandals so not to worry--bring them along!

Enjoy your cruise. I know you will become as hooked on O as the rest of us! :D

Billie

Cruisesoon:I wondered about this on my 1st O Cruise...the dress code is great, it's what makes O. sooo appealing, easy, casual dress code. Husband wore a linen dinner jacket at Toscana&Polo and was one of the few. I am leaving shortly on Insignia and packing far less shoes...one pair of 'sorta dressy walking sandals' are fine! You'll love Oceania, Have a great trip!

We were on Nautica in October. Dressy sandals are fine. I wouldn't wear everyday walking around sandals though. Most of the women wore slacks and nice blouses or dresses. Very few wore cocktail dresses. Men mostly had docker-style pants and "collar" shirts. We saw a few ties and jackets. One of the best things about Oceania is their "business casual" dress code.

We loved cruising on Oceania. Enjoy your cruise.

Does anyone ever check out other boards, like Holland America? If someone posted a thread entitled "Dress Code" on the HAL board, there would be thousands of viewings and hundreds of posts in a matter of hours. It's very entertaining (or aggravating, depending on one's perspective).

I find it very interesting how the "ambience" on board the ships is mirrored by the tone of the posts on the various CruiseCritic boards.

We are going on a HAL cruise in June (Only because Oceania does not do Eastern Canada).

After looking at their board I am expecting dress code ****'s marching around making sure we are dressed properly and not wearing our bathrobe outside the room. Thank goodness it is only 7 days (and I thought I would never say that about a cruise!)

Guess it will make us appreciate Oceania and it civilized attitude all the more.

Couldn't agree more about the HAL boards. People complain about formal dress or the lack thereof, smoking, the smell of smoking or the intention to smoke at some future date. Wearing robes to the pool is a big NO-NO. Apparently, it would be better received if you walk around with your bathing suit stuck ot all the wrong places experiencing cheek-leak.

That being said, I leave on HAL in 19 days (NYC - Bermuda). I am sure the fashion police will have a thing or two to say about me, but then I get to return to Oceania in August - Route of the Vikings.

All kidding aside, HAL has a good product if the itinerary works for you. It's like having more than one child. Each one is a favorite for a different reason and you can't beat the size of those Deluxe Verandah Suites on HAL.

I can say with absolute certainty that the tone & intensity of discussion about dress code on the HAL CC forum is in no way reflective of the attitude & experience on-board a HAL ship. There are a few die-hard cheerleaders on the HAL forum (and doesn't every CC forum have them) that are vocal in their preferences & in their desire to sway others. But in over 20 HAL cruises, we have yet to meet the dress code police on-board.

The real world is on the water - not on the CC forums. ;);)

I don't think anyone was bashing HAL, but some of the threads on the board can get pretty heated. I have always enjoyed my HAL cruises, but it is different from O - not better, not worse, just different.

Until 2005, Hal was our Cruise line of choice and we sailed them very regularly for many years, as did our parents.

Sadly, what was once an independent shipping concern with flair, style, tradition and panache is today nothing more than Carnival with better floral arrangements.

For a few years after the Carnival takeover, HAL benefited from the influx of capitol, but managed to hold onto some of their identity. That chapter is now closed. Everything is decided by committee, so the results are tepid at best.

Oceania has vastly better food and better service (and we never thought that anyone could beat HAL on that score).

We love Oceania's' smoking policy, and now find it difficult to believe that we ever sailed on a line where smoking is permitted in the cabins.

The size of Oceania's' ships and even the way that they are decorated, suit us perfectly. HAL has gone a bit "Joe Farcus in a mellow mood", for our taste.

And the standards on HAL continue to slip:

• When we first sailed HAL, plastic glasses and cutlery (even on deck) would have been unthinkable. Not so anymore. Paper napkins too.
  • The specialty restaurants on HAL are a nightmare. Pretentious food, a ridiculous reservation policy, and a surcharge to boot.
  • The Neptune Lounge (for suite passengers) is nothing more than a tawdry dispensary for free canapes, newspapers, and specialy coffees. They even make you cart it back to your room!

I hope no one thought I was bashing HAL because that was not my intention. In fact, HAL is my 2nd favorite cruise line (a distant 2nd -- any guess as to which is my favorite?).

In my experience, the melodrama and dress code gestapo that one encounters on the HAL CC board are in no way reflective of the passengers we have met on HAL cruises, which we have found to be much like Oceania passengers except older (often a lot older). The experience on HAL is not up to par with the experience on Oceania, but then again neither is the price. But if you've only got a week, can't afford Regent, and are looking for a nice relaxing getaway to the Caribbean or Alaska, HAL is worth a try -- don't be put off by the tone on the HAL boards! MightyQuinn was spot on: "The real world is on the water - not on the CC forums. ;)"

1st night on board the T/A in March...long sleeve sweater, blue leather shoes with a 1/2 inch heel, and pants from a 2 piece "track suit"..navy blue with a yellow stripe down the side...which matched the yellow sweater...I was told I was not dressed correctly for the MDR ..but they would "forgive me" because it was the first night. They didn't know that I had both my suitcases stolen "in transit" and didn't have time to cut off all the tags from my clothing I had to purchase at the last minute in Miami before I boarded the ship...but I still thought the "attitude" was a bit over the top....and really embarrasing to say the least...and I wasn't wearing a grey warm up suit!! I appreciate that there are "rules" but I didn't think I was "out of line" with my dress....LuAnn

Luann,

I'm so sorry that you had to go through the terrible experience of having your luggage stolen. I, thank God, can only imagine the disruption to your trip and the stress. However, most all lines have some sort of dress code for their main dining room and track pants with a strip down the legs probably wouldn't make the grade even when the dress code is "country club casual".

Also, in re of the discussion about sandals, I think one would be fine so long as the sandals aren't rubber flip flops or Teva's or something like that. As most of us know, there are casual sandals and dress sandals. I know the dress sandals are acceptable.

As a past Oceania passenger, I can tell you the dress code requires minimum concern. Just enjoy yourself. Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Wear your sandals....just as long as they're not of the Birkenstock type or flip flops...Nice slacks...nice top...casual dress...and bring a sweater or shawl...it can be chilly in the AC. Even an occasional dressy jacket or dress is appropriate...just not formal.

• 4 months later...

I was so glad someone posed this question since I have all these cute little dressy sandals! Of course, a good pedicure is always in order. I assume nice deck shoes are appropriate for my hubby, but a jacket, uh-huh.

I assume nice deck shoes are appropriate for my hubby, but a jacket, uh-huh.

Depends on the deck shoes & where you plan to eat in the evening, they will be fine for Tapas

No jacket required

Sorry, Lynn, half the time I have been in the main dining room it has been in Boat shoes, with no socks (the only way that boat shoes should be worn). There has never been a comment or even drawn a glance askance - I don't think anyone was even aware.

I also get a bit if a kick from the Birkenstock sandal comments -- those things (true Birkenstocks) cost a significant amount, and come in dozens of styles, including what I would consider reasonably dressy, although admittedly not gold lame' (although they do offer several pairs in silver).

Sorry, Lynn, half the time I have been in the main dining room it has been in Boat shoes, with no socks (the only way that boat shoes should be worn). There has never been a comment or even drawn a glance askance - I don't think anyone was even aware.

Don... like I said depends on the deck shoes ;)

some Sperry & Sebago deck shoes look quite smart

Depends on the deck shoes & where you plan to eat in the evening, they will be fine for Tapas

No jacket required

LHT28 -- not too great at describing MEN's shoes, but sure we're okay in that department. Not to sound too sexist, but men's shoes are pretty benign, are they not? I have not noticed my hubby stressing over his cruise attire like I -- Him: "pants, shirts, shoes, what's the problem"? Thanks for responding -- we are beyond excited about this cruise!

Archived