Dress Code

cruisesoon

On two occasions in the somewhat distant past we were in a Vista and an OS, and both times we were invited to the captain's table. We liked it (well, I did anyway, because of the free flowing wines ... but husband rarely indulges so he could have cared less).

Upon our fifth and sixth cruises we were invited to dine with an officer (with one or two other couples) and these were lovely meals. The officers were most entertaining and conversation did not lag.

On our seventh cruise (just finished on August 10th) we noticed that there were no captain's tables, our friends in a Vista were not invited to anything, nor were we. We just wondered. We did hear that the new captain (who boarded at the first port, not at our debarkation location) was not "people friendly" and so we just figured that was the reason.

But it did seem strange.

On two occasions in the somewhat distant past we were in a Vista and an OS, and both times we were invited to the captain's table. We liked it (well, I did anyway, because of the free flowing wines ... but husband rarely indulges so he could have cared less).

On our seventh cruise (just finished on August 10th) we noticed that there were no captain's tables, our friends in a Vista were not invited to anything, nor were we. We just wondered. We did hear that the new captain (who boarded at the first port, not at our debarkation location) was not "people friendly" and so we just figured that was the reason.

But it did seem strange.

It is strange!

We were on our 6-7-8th cruises on Regatta this April-May and felt funny getting invitations and calls to meet the captain and other officers

constantly. We don't attend most of these events so it really was odd that

even on the third of these cruises the invitations kept coming.

We would be so happy to pass these on to someone who appreciates them.:)

It is strange!

We were on our 6-7-8th cruises on Regatta this April-May and felt funny getting invitations and calls to meet the captain and other officers

constantly. We don't attend most of these events so it really was odd that

even on the third of these cruises the invitations kept coming.

We would be so happy to pass these on to someone who appreciates them.:)

Well, my question certainly evoked a lot of responses. I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences. What you may not have realized was that I was calculating the odds that I might find myself having to decide about declining the invitation. I am not into that kind of PR stuff at all. It is all so forced.

Thanks for letting me know it is OK to decline.

Mark

Mark,

It's definitely okay to decline. After all, they send you an invitation!

I just wanted to make clear that we've always enjoyed the invitations for dinner with an officer or officers. If you don't want to do it, you don't. That's your privilege, of course.

We've always accepted those invitations. But we tend to ignore the mass cocktail parties ... to be invited to a party for members of the Oceania Club is virtually the same as attending a cocktail party for everyone on board ... and those we avoid.

But to each his own!

On one cruise we had dinner with Captain Rye & several other guests

He is quite personable & does chat to the guests

We found most of the officers will talk to you even passing in the hall way.

Lyn

Archived