Dress Code

cruisesoon

do not know if these would pass for dinner wear.... but they are boat shoes

Those would be fun to wear occasionally, but I'd never get enough use out of them to be worth the investment. I wear my leather boat shoes with something like Dockers or LL Bean khakis, but would hesitate to wear these. They would look good with shorts, and would not be out of place for Tapas on the Terrace, but personally, I would not wear them to the main dining room. However, I would have no objection if somebody else was wearing them. Like Betsy's Mother (who was a paragon of etiquette) once pointed out, it only matters what someone is wearing above the waste at dinner, because you can't see what's below the table ;):rolleyes:.

On our trip this June, our 22 year old wanted to come along. She, still being in college, wears mostly jeans and T's. I explained that if she wanted to go, she needed to leave her beloved jeans and flops at home and pack sun dresses, capri sets and suitable attire for Polo and Tuscana. She was appropriately dressed but shot me a bunch of evil looks at all the jeans, cut offs, flip flops and short shorts apparent in Tapas. LOL.

I was a little surprised because they were not in evidence on last years trip. Regardless of broken codes and who wore what she had a wonderful time and I think that, above all else, is what matters.

I also get a bit if a kick from the Birkenstock sandal comments -- those things (true Birkenstocks) cost a significant amount, and come in dozens of styles, including what I would consider reasonably dressy, although admittedly not gold lame' (although they do offer several pairs in silver).

I also found the Birkenstock comments to be humorous. I've actually worn my lovely black leather Birks to dinner in the MDRs on 4 ships without any comments. (I have feet problems and after 4 surgeries, am pain free and comfortable in very limited types of shoes).

Until this thread, I thought those O maitre d's were so accommodating and wonderful in getting us seated quickly. Now I assume that they just wanted my feet quickly under a table so that I didn't offend anyone ;)

She was appropriately dressed but shot me a bunch of evil looks at all the jeans, cut offs, flip flops and short shorts apparent in Tapas.

Very interesting!!

I have not seen short shorts in Tapas for dinner ... maybe for breakfast & lunch on the younger crowd but most of our cruises the crowd was a bit older. ;)

I did wear my jeans to dinner in the Terrace/Tapas a couple of times this cruise but never to the other dining venues.

This is the first cruise I have even taken jeans with me as we were in the far north.

Lyn

The dress code for Tapas is more relaxed than for the other dining venues. Many people like to visit Tapas when they return late from a day of excursions. There is no need for them to change. You will see jeans, shorts, Tees and flip flops in Tapas, although I have never seen short shorts in evidence on any passenger at any time -- trust me, I would have noticed...:cool:

I have been reading a lot about sandals and have noticed that on Oceania's website it only mentions the restriction for athletic shoes under the dress code FAQ section. Is this a change in policy?

I guess it depends on your definition of sandals

I would not think of wearing my TEVA sport sandals to the GDR but others my find it acceptable.

from FAQ page

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

That sort of leaves it open to one's own interpretationof the rules

Sorry, Lynn, half the time I have been in the main dining room it has been in Boat shoes, with no socks (the only way that boat shoes should be worn). There has never been a comment or even drawn a glance askance - I don't think anyone was even aware.

I also get a bit if a kick from the Birkenstock sandal comments -- those things (true Birkenstocks) cost a significant amount, and come in dozens of styles, including what I would consider reasonably dressy, although admittedly not gold lame' (although they do offer several pairs in silver).

Love this comment -- no self respecting SC man would be caught wearing socks with boat shoes! On the other hand, his wife might be badgering him to wear them! I am not admitting to anything . . .

We are getting ready to start the packing list for our September 5th cruise. I have read all the comments about dress code and have looked at all the pictures I can find of actual cruisers and models posing as cruisers and still am on the fence about bringing a sport coat or not for the more formal dining venues. I would really like to to hear from the veterans about this subject. I have a closet full of them but if I end up never needing to wear it, I won't. I would hate to waste space in the garment bag if it really isn't necessary. Please help.

Thanks

Mark

You won't need a sports coat. It isn't necessary, I still bring at least one which I wear whenever I feel like it. The dress code is a minimum, not a command. I even stick in a tie, although I've never worn it on Oceania, and have no intention of every doing so, but you never know. I have worn my black sports coat with matching black slacks, which sort of looks like a black suit, with a black solid color tie, when I dined with the Captain on Regent. I wore a sports coat when I dined with the General Manager. When I dined with the Captain on my first Oceania cruise, I wore the sports coat but no tie.

My travel agent's husband has dined with the Captain many times and has never worn a sports coat. No need to, not necessary, but fun sometimes, if it floats your boat.

We are getting ready to start the packing list for our September 5th cruise. I have read all the comments about dress code and have looked at all the pictures

Mark

It is a personal choice

It is not required

DH takes his because he like to wear it to the specially restaurants but that is his choice

Do what make you feel comfortable

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I'm glad to hear about no need to pack my husband's sport coat; it takes up so much space and weight. I am wondering though about the mention of no "tennis shoes" in Oceania's dress code. My husband usually wears black leather Nikes with slacks and collared shirt to dinner. Will they be a problem? I usually wear black leather SAS laced-up shoes as I have to accommodate orthodics that don't fit in usual dress shoes.

I'm glad to hear about no need to pack my husband's sport coat; it takes up so much space and weight. I am wondering though about the mention of no "tennis shoes" in Oceania's dress code. My husband usually wears black leather Nikes with slacks and collared shirt to dinner. Will they be a problem? I usually wear black leather SAS laced-up shoes as I have to accommodate orthodics that don't fit in usual dress shoes.

LiberaceinHotPants.jpgIf your husband doesn't dress to feature the Nikes, nobody will even notice.

In so many cases, discretion is the better part of Valor. ;)

If you are approached, a mention of the orthotics will end the discussion.

I wore a sports coat when I dined with the General Manager. When I dined with the Captain on my first Oceania cruise, I wore the sports coat but no tie.

My travel agent's husband has dined with the Captain many times and has never worn a sports coat. No need to, not necessary, but fun sometimes, if it floats your boat.

Thanks Don. I will probably bring one then.

That brings up another point. We are in a P3, what do you think the odds are we will be invited to the captain's or GM's table?

Thanks

Mark

...That brings up another point. We are in a P3, what do you think the odds are we will be invited to the captain's or GM's table?

It's totally unpredictable and often appears there is no rhyme or reason why an invitation is extended. In the past, the invitations often went to frequent Oceania cruisers, and perhaps those in the coveted Owners or Vista Suites. We were totally mystified why we were invited on our first ever Oceania cruise, staying in a A2 cabin, withno influence of which we were aware. Then, we realized that our travel agent is a close friend of that captain and had been on the cruise immediately prior to ours. She asked the staff to "look out" for us, and I'm sure that's where the invitation was initiated.

Dining with the Captain is sort of fun, but for people like us, simple country folk from Okeechobee, Florida, is also very stressful. We've sailed a lot more often without getting such an invitation, and it's OK. We have heard people say they refuse such invitations. We think that's disrespectful and we'll probably never decline, but it's surely not something we seek out.

Personally I see nothing disrespectful in declining such an invitation.

We never attend any of the dinners or parties which our suite entitles us to be invited to. We don't find that these staged events add anything to the pleasure of cruising. If you are in an OS or VS you get constant such invitations and from what our butler told us we are not the only ones who feel this to be boring rather than a pleasure. Different strokes for different folks.!

We recently had an invitation to dine with the Concierge but it was after a few busy port days so we declined

We just wanted to have an early dinner & relax

We were never asked again

We were deck 4 but past cruisers so I do not know how they choose who gets the invitations

Lyn

We have eaten twice with officers at the "captain's table" in the GDR. We are never in an upper level cabin (Usually a C-1) but were told that the number of cruises was a factor. (we have usually been invited after the Club get together)

Quite frankly we would probably decline in the future. The menu is the standard GDR menu and the only difference is that the officer usually orders a couple of bottles of wine. One of the "social hostesses" is usually invited also. Perhaps it is the language barrier with many of the officers but the conversation was stilted and uncomfortable. Ther social hostess trys to make conversation but she is usually in her 20s and most of the guests are in their 60s so there is not a lot in common.

We have never seen the captain entertain in the GDR in 8 cruises.

We would rather sit with friends and order our own wine.

We have eaten twice with officers at the "captain's table" in the GDR. We are never in an upper level cabin (Usually a C-1) but were told that the number of cruises was a factor. (we have usually been invited after the Club get together)

Quite frankly we would probably decline in the future. The menu is the standard GDR menu and the only difference is that the officer usually orders a couple of bottles of wine. One of the "social hostesses" is usually invited also. Perhaps it is the language barrier with many of the officers but the conversation was stilted and uncomfortable. Ther social hostess trys to make conversation but she is usually in her 20s and most of the guests are in their 60s so there is not a lot in common.

We have never seen the captain entertain in the GDR in 8 cruises.

We would rather sit with friends and order our own wine.

It would be incredible to chat with crew about their experiences with the many and often unexpected challenges at sea. As a retired naval officer with many 'oppportunities' to experience mother nature's husband, King Neptune, at his orneriest (sp?) the language difference would disappear in a heartbeat!

Their skill at making the most difficult moments at sea translate to "Everything is fine" to the paying passenger must be incredible.

13 days till we sail with Oceania!

I agree that often times, a passenger is invited due to past sailings. I have remained fond of a former Concierge who is now the Chief Purser on the Regatta. I have been invited twice to join he and other staff for dinner. We catch up on Family, his new baby and of course our conversation about the Marina. It is nice to reunite with staff who remember you with the thousands of passengers they encounter over the years.

It would be incredible to chat with crew about their experiences with the many and often unexpected challenges at sea. As a retired naval officer with many 'opportunities' to experience mother nature's husband, King Neptune, at his orneriest (sp?) the language difference would disappear in a heartbeat!

Their skill at making the most difficult moments at sea translate to "Everything is fine" to the paying passenger must be incredible.

13 days till we sail with Oceania!

I wish it were so and maybe it will be for you if you are invited to dine with an officer.

On our last occasion the officer we dined with spoke, at the the most, 6-8 words during the course of the dinner and they were mostly yes or no to questions about the cruise as you indicated. The officer was from France and my french is pretty good so I tried in french to engage him in conversation and all I got for my efforts was a "oui" or a "non". He excused himself from the table before desert indicating he had paperwork to do.

The social hostess, who one would presume had the skills to keep a conversation going, mostly checked here teeth for lipstick in her knife blade and complained that she had not seen her boyfriend who worked for another line for some time and she was "horny"!

It is also worthwhile to remember that most officers are fairly young and not "old salts" with tales to tell. They are administrative personnel rather than hands on sailors. On a cruise ship there are rarely difficult moments at sea and the computers take care of King Neptune.

We compared notes with the others at our table and all agreed the impression was that Oceania expected the officers to host these dinners and that was the only reason they did it.

Again, if you are invited, I hope you do get to eat with an officer who provides you with the conversation you hope to have but it has not been our experience.

Archived