England in April

Jane110

I'm headed to England and a mini-cruise in about 10 days and I'm totally confused about what to pack for daytime.

I'll have about 4 days in London, and then 3 days on Celebrity's new Eclipse. It's a cruise to "no where" so I need clothes for onboard. I'm all set for evenings, (gown one night, dressy cocktail dress another night) it's daytime I'm confused about.

Normally for daytime on a cruiseship, I'd be in linen pants and sandals - but then, all my cruises have been in summer and/or warm climates. Right now in NY, I wore sandals for the first time today. But the UK is a lot chillier and gray-er. Linen and sandals would look stupid. I'm not the "Chino" and topsiders type - too preppy for me. My typical NYC lightweight wool gabardine or microfiber pants seem kind of "business-y". I've never brought jeans on a cruise ship, but I'll be wearing them on the plane and around London, but didn't want to wear them onboard. But I'm going nuts trying to figure out what kind of pants to wear during the day that don't look too summery or too business-y.

Once I figure out the bottoms, I've got plenty of tops to wear.

Also, For our 4 days in London - what kind of outerwear? Is it still cold there, or will a lightweight jacket be enough? Is it sandal weather yet, or should I wear boots?

Jane,

I'm trying to think back what I wore since I was there in April. It was quite cool and I wore wintery clothes, not heavy but not springy. I had a black microfiber trenchcoat with a zip out lining that I wore with the lining. I also had a brimmed felt hat. I took patent leather crocodile looking rain boots and wore them since it was quite rainy at that time.

I was there 3 times in 2 years and my trips are sort of running together as to what I wore when and they were not under the best of circumstances.:( Another trip was in Oct. and I'd have to check around to see when the third trip was but everytime, it was cool. I don't think light weight gabardine or microfiber pants would seem too business-y, especially in London depending on what you wear on top.

C

Nope, not sandals weather yet. I'm not in London, but closer to Edinburgh (but I used to live down south so I know the weather)!

You will definately need a waterproof jacket - even if it's a light one (you can always wear a cardigan or somehing under it) but it will be wet.

Can you perhaps pack a pair of close-toed shoes to wear with your linen trousers, rather than topsiders or sandals? My current uniform for life is either jeans/black/grey linen trousers with a pair of black ballerina flats. These do me most of the year. I think your gabardine trousers sound fine - they won't be too dressy.

In the UK, you can get away with most of the same wardrobe for about 10 months a year! Our summers have been crummy the past few years (although I think London had a weird heatwave last August) so I'm hoping I might actually be able to wear summer clothes this year.

Have a lovely time!

We took a TA from Miami to South Hampton 3 years ago this month! We were surprised that everyone on the ship dressed as if they were in the Caribbean...in shorts and flip-flops...remember on the ship everything is climate controled unless of course you go outside on one of the decks.

We actually stayed in England for 5 days visiting our 2 daughters who were there studying abroad....we had the most perfect Warm Sunny Spring weather.....as long as you have a light weight jacket and some slacks you will be fine!

Hi,

The weather here is quite mild at the moment, but its far too cold to wear spring clothes yet. At the moment, im in jeans and a wooley cardigan, sandals are out, boots are definatley in.

What you wear in NYC sounds fine, i wouldn't even dream of packing linens etc.

A waterproof jacket or big umbrella is a must, it will probably rain at least some point in your trip.

Have fun in London, dont forget to go to Harrods it has the best food hall in England.

I couldn't resist--your title made me think of this poem:

Oh, to be in England

Now that April's there,

And whoever wakes in England

Sees, some morning, unaware,

That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf

Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,

While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough

In England - now!

I've asked around to my friends in England, and here are a couple of their replies:

Right now the weather is pretty changeable. Definitely a waterproof coat - I'm still in my heavy woolen winter coat, and while I've ditched the scarf and hat, I'm still wearing gloves when I cycle. I'm wearing a skirt and tights today so it's warm enough for that but it's very definitely not bare-legs/bare arms/sandals weather, and won't be for another couple of months.

There's a spell of nice weather on the way, so it's currently between 10-15 degrees celsius, but the winds are quite strong and quite chill.

My normal (ie. non-office) wardrobe for this time of year is jeans, boots, a woolly jersey and my winter coat. Also an umbrella, if it isn't too windy to risk it.

Winter-into-spring. Definitely a waterproof jacket, preferably something fairly warm. And long legs/sleeves. But it isn't really properly cold any more, I've put away my woollen winter coat.

I'll continue to post as I hear back from more of them.

Take clothes you can layer up for warmth then peel off as necessary . Our weather is unpredictable , we had a freezing cold winter, a terribly late spring ,its still cool and wet but anything can happen!!!

April showers,

Bring forth May flowers

Emma:)

Here are a few more replies:

Yes, warm clothes but no hats or scarves really needed. I'm still wearing boots but don't need to wear leggings under my jeans, and can get away with a t-shirt and cardigan under my jacket instead of multiple layers.

It's likely to be very wet and windy.

I was out wearing a raincoat, a woollen jersey, a long-sleeved shirt and a singlet underneath with trousers and woollen socks today. It was a fairly sunny, mild day by recent standards.

Definitely not sandals or linen. Often rainy in April and windy. Layers are good, stores will be hot - heating still on. Closed shoes yes, jeans fine! We do have stores in England, you know, so if you are missing something, don't panic. You'll love London -Harrods is brilliant but if you have time try to get to Fortnum and Mason and Liberty. Check out Changing of the Guard - happens every day - it's brilliant. Suggest you hop on a tourist bus to get the flavour of the City and help you plan your trip. Go to the theatre if you can (recommend Woman in Black) St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Abbey ... I could go on and on!! London is safe, just take normal big city precautions. You'll need at least 2 days to visit, more if you are into museums (the V and A) and galleries (Tate Modern) Enjoy!

There can be cool winds/breezes around at this time of year; - we were sat on a beach on the south coast at the weekend, it was sunny, pleasantly warm but we still had coats & gloves on!! You might like to know at this time of year, it can cool down considerably in the evening if you are thinking of walking outside in the evenings!

Having said all the above, I remember a spring break in April about 4 years ago and it was hot!! It really does vary but I don't think you will be needing your shorts & sandals just yet! There are so many fashions & different clothes in London - you will not look out of place in jeans or business trousers! Take comfortable shoes as there is lots of walking in London!

Enjoy London - my advice is to really make the most of the city - you can do a hop-on / hop-off bus tour which also includes a river cruise - you get to see a lot of the city that way. There is plenty to see in 4 days & you really don't need to leave; don't miss Covent Garden, lovely place with lots of atmosphere, there are some lovely parks, cathedrals, museums - loads to do & see!

Have fun!

I too will be off to London,and the Eclipse, on 4/22, and was wondering how cool it would be.I am trying to pack wisely,[for a change:)] Thanks for the information, it's been helpful...

Definitely not sandals or linen. Often rainy in April and windy. Layers are good, stores will be hot - heating still on. Closed shoes yes, jeans fine! We do have stores in England, you know, so if you are missing something, don't panic. You'll love London -Harrods is brilliant but if you have time try to get to Fortnum and Mason and Liberty. Check out Changing of the Guard - happens every day - it's brilliant. Suggest you hop on a tourist bus to get the flavour of the City and help you plan your trip. Go to the theatre if you can (recommend Woman in Black) St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Abbey ... I could go on and on!! London is safe, just take normal big city precautions. You'll need at least 2 days to visit, more if you are into museums (the V and A) and galleries (Tate Modern) Enjoy!

Thanks for the good pointers. I was not going to pack any wool sweaters, but now think that a couple of thin cashmeres would be good.

I usually head to Harrods for some tea and a quick look, but then go to Harvery Nicks across the street for some real fashion and culinary excitement.

I too will be off to London,and the Eclipse, on 4/22, and was wondering how cool it would be.I am trying to pack wisely,[for a change:)] Thanks for the information, it's been helpful...

Trip,

I learned last night that there are two sailings, one on the 22nd, and one on the 24th. I'm on the 24th. You?

Having said all the above, I remember a spring break in April about 4 years ago and it was hot!! It really does vary but I don't think you will be needing your shorts & sandals just yet!

I'd never wear shorts in a city like London, evenn in the summer. I've never looked like a tourist, people always assume I'm just a well dressed local and I prefer to keep it that way.

There are so many fashions & different clothes in London - you will not look out of place in jeans or business trousers! Take comfortable shoes as there is lots of walking in London!

I'm not concerned w/ day clothes for London, it was more about for when we're onboard the ship.

I live in NYC where we walk alot, so I've got plenty of comfortable shoes.

Enjoy London - my advice is to really make the most of the city - you can do a hop-on / hop-off bus tour which also includes a river cruise - you get to see a lot of the city that way. There is plenty to see in 4 days & you really don't need to leave; don't miss Covent Garden, lovely place with lots of atmosphere, there are some lovely parks, cathedrals, museums - loads to do & see!

Have fun!

Thanks. Been to London about 6 times and have seen all the places you've mentioned. The few days in London before the cruise, will be spent interviewing perfumers, and some key fashion people. Also, we've got friends there that we want to see as well..

I've asked around to my friends in England, and here are a couple of their replies:

I'll continue to post as I hear back from more of them.

Thanks, those were most helpful replies.

Jane!

I know that we're both super busy at the moment...

;););)

and in case you didn't "get" that - there are three winks there for you!:D

Just in case I don't "catch you" somewhere else before you go, I want to wish you fun, and experience, and more fun to go with that!

Hugs!

Thanks for the good pointers. I was not going to pack any wool sweaters, but now think that a couple of thin cashmeres would be good.

I usually head to Harrods for some tea and a quick look, but then go to Harvery Nicks across the street for some real fashion and culinary excitement.

Congrats Jane on your trip. Have fun! I wish I was with you!

Jane, if it is anything like it was in April 99, you will be glad of the cashmere sweathers. I wore a lot of tunic sweaters with leggins. LOL! They were "in" back then! We did have one day that was around 75 degrees .(At least it felt that way-you know they don't do Fahrenheit over there-and I don't know how to figure out Celsius and compute to Fahrenheit.) I know we went to British Museum that day and it had no air conditioning. We actually were a little warm that day.

Anyway, if you wear a blouse or tank under your cashmere sweater, you can shed it, if you have an unseasonably warm day.

Pretty much the same as you would pack for April in the NYC to Boston corridor area in the US. Above freezing, but definitely sweater/light jacket weather unless it is unseasonably warm. Use layers for cool to warm so you can shed them as (if) it warms during the day, closed footwear for cool and wet ground, with rainwear including hat and/or umbrella for those rainy / showery days if you are going to be out and about.

Jane, I will leave Boston on the 22nd, so we will be at sea together! I am flying out on British Air, but, have yet to get my itinerary from Celebrity...I signed up for the galley tour, and the Qsine seminar...I was in Marshalls and TJ's today,looking for tops and pants:) Maybe we can meet up somewhere....:)

Thanks for the suggestion Momofmeg and Tileylovesseabourn.....I didn't even think of cashmere! But you're right, they're so lightweight! Might be perfect aboard ship too! I'll bring a couple in springy pastel colors.

I'm definitely bringing a raincoat, it's very lightweight, and a pair of microfiber shoes in case it rains.

I think I may have solved the pants dilemma for daytime aboard ship. I have a pair of black cotton gabardine pants that are nicely tailored, so they're casual, but still quite nice. They were too tight last summer, but I've lost 5 pounds over the winter, so <fingers crossed> I hope they'll fit again!

Pretty much the same as you would pack for April in the NYC to Boston corridor area in the US. Above freezing, but definitely sweater/light jacket weather unless it is unseasonably warm. Use layers for cool to warm so you can shed them as (if) it warms during the day, closed footwear for cool and wet ground, with rainwear including hat and/or umbrella for those rainy / showery days if you are going to be out and about.

I only wish that were true. Today in NY it was about 75 degrees, and I was in shirlsleeves and sandals. I'll be in Albany this weekend, where it's also warm. England will be a lot colder.

I'm not really into layering. I don't want to have to peel off clothes. Everyone says "dress in layers", but I don't get it. Yes, of course I can wear a cardigan over a blouse/under a jacket, but other than that, how's it done?

Do you wear a tank top, tee shirt, button down shirt, cardigan, jacket all together and then take things off if you're warm? Then wear shoes and sox and carry sandals?

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not my kind of dressing.

Jane, I will leave Boston on the 22nd, so we will be at sea together! I am flying out on British Air, but, have yet to get my itinerary from Celebrity...I signed up for the galley tour, and the Qsine seminar...I was in Marshalls and TJ's today,looking for tops and pants:) Maybe we can meet up somewhere....:)

Trip,

Why not go over the Meet up board and talk there? Look for the April 24th Eclipse sailing.

We're going to London for a few days pre-cruise.

Archived