Fall Foilage Cruise

What is typically the best time for the NE/ Canada Fall Foliage Cruise?

I am currently booked on an Oct 3, 2010 departure date but is that too late?

Thanks for any insight

OOM

I think you will be alright. When we went on the Carnival Victory back in sept 2007, it was HOT. St johns was 86 and Halifax was 89 degrees. We could not believe it. we brought rain gear, and fleeces, and what we needed was shorts. Who would have thought!

Every year can be a little different. We went two years ago in late September and things were just getting started. The weather was still pleasant and mild and the leaves were just starting to turn. The best color was in Quebec City.

Having said that, you may see some colorful foliage but the weather in general will be cooler. There is no way to predict either, so just go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise. Beautiful part of our two countries. :)

It varies year to year and place to place, but you have picked a good time time. On mainland Nova Scotia is usually is best around Thanksgiving which this year is Oct. 11. It is generally a few days later in Cape Breton.

The weather can really vary so come prepared.

Early Oct is probably best if wanting fall colours but can be cool cruising on the open sea in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

East of Quebec City the river gets wider and wider and you will not have a great view. Most of the trees along the S.t Lawrence Ror Aspen that turn yellow. The best viewing areas will be on the excursions in the Maritime provinces and New England states.

If you are into history these cruises are great as each port has a lot of early NA historical sites to see.

Wayne S.

I agree it was a fantastic cruise and even though we were on HAL and were among the minority age group (24/25), we did it for the itinerary. I would do it again without hesitation! It was quite rough one night between Gaspe and Cornerbrook but it was pretty nice the whole rest of the time.

Just signed up for Crown Princess out of Quebec City on Sept. 27,2010. Hoping that the colors will be very pretty as I remember them from going up a fire tower in Quebec about 30 years ago. Don't know how it will be off the ship but anyday on a cruise ship is a GOOD day!

• 1 month later...

We went the 2nd week in October, Boston to Quebec. We were told that we were just before peak season at the first few ports, but we just missed it in Quebec. It was also very cool. In fact, it snowed twice. But that was 2009, 2010 may be different.

Archived