Long Review of Emerald Princess, 3/3/28/10, with Photos

pcrum

Awesome review and great photos, too!:D Actually, I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I'm going to refer to it as we get closer to our cruise on the Emerald in August. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Could any of you previous cruisers on the Emerald Princess recommend the best place to have our Meet and Mingle on my July 11 sailing. We were thinking of doing it on the first sea day which is on a Tuesday. Does anyone have a copy of the days activities for that day so we don't interfere with other activities scheduled so more people will attend? What time do you think is best?

Thanks,

:)

Marsha

Contact the appropriate person from the list....

This list is current as of 16 Mar 2010:

Berda Davis

Star, Grand

(661) 284-4451

bdavis@princesscruises.com

Diana Hall

Diamond

(661) 284-4449

dhall@princesscruises.com

Jenny Streeck

Sapphire

(661) 284-4444

jstreeck@princesscruises.com

Berna Grayr

Emerald, Pacific

(661) 284-4448

bgrayr@princesscruises.com

Stacey Anderson

Island & Coral

(661) 284-4446

sanderson@princesscruises.com

Coleen Reyes

Crown

(661) 284-4447

creyes@princesscruises.com

Renee Wittwer

Ruby & Ocean (formally the Tahitian)

(661) 284-4443

rwittwer@princesscruises.com

Elizabeth Williamson

Caribbean, Sea

(661) 284-4442

ewilliamson@princesscruises.com

Jan James

Royal, Golden

(661) 284-4452

jjames@princesscruises.com

Kelly Ashley

Special Diets

(661) 284-4450

kashley@princesscruises.com

Enjoy. Although this is your first cruise, I'm sure it won't be your last. These things are addicting!

Hi, me again. Wanted to know if you remember what days and time they have trivia on the Emerald Princess? Our cruise is in July and several have asked when this would be. Do they have progressive trivia?

Thanks for all your help'

Marsha:)

Hi, me again. Wanted to know if you remember what days and time they have trivia on the Emerald Princess? Our cruise is in July and several have asked when this would be. Do they have progressive trivia?

Thanks for all your help'

Marsha:)

Hi:

I checked the Princess Patters. I have them for every day other than the Princess Cays Day (Monday, 2nd day of cruise). I did have those, but think I threw them away accidentlly with some other papers I thought I no longer needed!

Tuesday, the first sea day. They have trivia at 11:15 am in the Adagio Bar, Deck 16, aft and at 4:45 pm in the Wheelhouse Bar, Deck 7, forward.

Wed., St. Maarten Day: trivia is at 11:15 am in the Wheelhouse Bar and "Tribond Trivia" is in the Explorer's Lounge, Deck 7, midship, at 5:00 pm.

Thurs., St. Thomas Day: trivia is at 11:45 am in the Wheelhouse Bar and at 4 pm in the Explorers Lounge.

Fri., Grand Turk Day: trivia is at 10:15 am in the Adagio Bar and at 4:30 pm in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Sat., Sea Day: trivia is at 11:30 am in the Adagio Bar and at 4:15 pm in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Judging from the pattern, I would assume trivia is also offered twice a day on Monday.

I don't see anything about progressive trivia. The trivia is just labeled as "morning" and "afternoon" trivia except for the Tribond Trivia on Wed. I have no idea what Tribond Trivia is!

Hope this helps.

Could any of you previous cruisers on the Emerald Princess recommend the best place to have our Meet and Mingle on my July 11 sailing. We were thinking of doing it on the first sea day which is on a Tuesday. Does anyone have a copy of the days activities for that day so we don't interfere with other activities scheduled so more people will attend? What time do you think is best?

Thanks,

:)

Marsha

Here is the lineup of activities for Tuesday, the first sea day:

9 am: Chess Players Get together

9:30-11:15: Welcome to Capt's Circle

9:45 am: Scholarship at Sea Lecture: Unusual Pirate Facts

9:45 am: Weight loss Clinic for Ladies

10:00: Jacqueline Kennedy Jewelry Event

10:00: Golf Clinic

10:00: Fruit and veggie carving, towel folding and flower arranging

10am -12pm and 2 pm- 4pm: Scholarship at Sea Ceramics Painting

10:15 am: Ballroom dance class: the swing

10:30: Service Club Make up cards

11 am: Bingo

11 am: Martini Demonstration

11:15: Morning Trivia

11:15 am: Special Interest Lecture: Art History at Sea

11:30 am: Intro to acupuncture

11:30 am: Ryder Cup Challenge: Round One

noon: St. Maarten and St. Thomas port and shopping show

noon: Closest to the pin contest

12:15 pm: Line Dancing lessons

12:45 pm: Singles and solos get together

1:15 pm: pool games

1:30 - 4 pm: Bridge Play

1:30 pm: Seminar: Look 10 years younger in 10 Days

1:30 pm: Alaska Presentation

2 pm: Basketball shootout

2 pm: Seminar: Anti aging clinic

2 pm: Seminar: Detox for health and weight loss

2 pm: Bar Wars

2 pm: afternoon movie

2:15 pm: Boat Building Contest

2:30 pm: Art Auction

3 pm: Wine Tasting

3:15 pm: Elevator Roulette

3:30-4:30: Afternoon tea

4 pm: bingo

4:30 pm: Veteran's Get-Together

4:45 pm: Afternoon Trivia

5 pm: Dr. Bob and Bill W Meeting

5-10:30 pm: Formal Portraits

5:15 pm: Ballroom Blitz dance class

5:30 pm: GLBT get-together

6 pm: Fine Jewelry Silent Auction

As you can see, it's a full day. I guess you just have to judge what everyone wants to do and what they think they can miss. We basically laid around the pool and only went to the wine tasting event!!

Enjoy your cruise!

Marsha;

Skywalkers around 11:30. There are actually people at Princess you can email who will help you coordinate. I saw a post awhile back where someone listed contact persons on most, if not all of the princess ships. If I find the post, I'll let you know.....:):):)

Bob

Great suggestion. Skywalkers was always empty during the day! DH liked to go there and read!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for one of the most detailed and interesting reviews that I've had the pleasure to read in a long time. The photos were great and brought back fond memories of my last sailing on the Emerald.

My only concern is that for some unexplained reason I am now extremely hungry and would like to have a nice glass of wine....!?! :D

Thank you for one of the most detailed and interesting reviews that I've had the pleasure to read in a long time. The photos were great and brought back fond memories of my last sailing on the Emerald.

My only concern is that for some unexplained reason I am now extremely hungry and would like to have a nice glass of wine....!?! :D

Thanks so much for the kind words!! Now, go pour yourself a nice glass of wine!!

Terrible review sorry. Alot of information which is nice but being 22 years old I believe your vacation is what you make out of it. But this review sounds like more cons than any review I have ever read before. Good review for information but unfortunately I am unable to finish reading this entire thing due to the extreme amount of negativity. Like I said, I am only 22 years old so maybe I just look at stuff differently right now. But going on The Emerald Princess August 29th I decided to read your review and loved the pictures.

Terrible review sorry. Alot of information which is nice but being 22 years old I believe your vacation is what you make out of it. But this review sounds like more cons than any review I have ever read before. Good review for information but unfortunately I am unable to finish reading this entire thing due to the extreme amount of negativity. Like I said, I am only 22 years old so maybe I just look at stuff differently right now. But going on The Emerald Princess August 29th I decided to read your review and loved the pictures.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I'm sure you will enjoy the Emerald Princess. If you had read my review in its entirety, you would see that there were may things about the ship that we loved, including Sabatini's, the International Cafe, Skywalkers, and the layout of the pool area, to name just a few.

• 11 months later...
Also enjoyed your thorough review. Was thinking about Emerald's 10 day Southern cruise in October but if they aren't docking in Havensight, it might be a dealbreaker for me.

Yes, not docking in Havensight was a bit of a disappointment. It's nice to be able to walk right off the ship and be in the middle of things to do and to be in walking distance of Paradise Point. I'm sure this is a matter of concern to a number of people. Princess, are you listening??:)

Have just found this wonderful review and as we are booked on the Emerald for the New England cruise in October, 2012, I have printed out the whole review to reread over the next 16 months!

It will be our first time on a big Princess ship, having cruised on the small ones for quite a few years so it will be quite a change for us. We have booked a mini on Emerald deck right near the aft with a large balcony so hope we are not too far away from everything.

We usually book our cabin in the centre of the ship and of course on the smaller ships there is not a lot of walking between areas, but we had read great reviews about these cabins.

Jennie

Yes, not docking in Havensight was a bit of a disappointment. It's nice to be able to walk right off the ship and be in the middle of things to do and to be in walking distance of Paradise Point. I'm sure this is a matter of concern to a number of people. Princess, are you listening??:)

Well, we officially booked today on the Emerald Princess for a 10-day "Southern Caribbean Medley" sailing on October 19th, 2011!

I guess we'll take a cab or bus over, unless we get lucky and they dock at Havensight. This is where we load up on liquor to take back home - we bring back 5 or 6 liter bottles per person of Stoli Vodka. Here in VA it is $28 per bottle. In St. Thomas they are $8 to $10 per bottle. We buy from "Al Cohen's" and they guarantee delivery to your ship. I'll have to check and see if they deliver to the Crown Bay dock. If not, we will have to lug it back with us.

I don't recall in your review any information on live music. What should we expect aboard the Emerald? Anyone?

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed seeing the pictures also and finding out about anytime dining and your view on it. We are sailing on the Emerald on the 26th and looking forward to our Baltic cruise. This was a last minute booking as we had to cancel our Egyptian vacation in Feb. and finally got all our money back. We had already booked the Emerald for an Eastern Caribbean for Jan. 2012 and now we are going to be on it for our Baltic. We will know it inside and out by the time our 2nd cruise comes up. We to are anytime dining as we are going ourselves on this cruise (January with a gang of friends) We are actually going to ask to be seated with others as we love to meet new people. I have all the good spots and times picked out for the food though thanks to you lol. Again great review...I hope I can come back with some advice to post about also.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for being so generous with your time in crafting this very detailed and informative review. Now I intend to read your Carnival reviews.

Nice piece of writing.

Norris in Chicago, 28 days away from his first Princess cruise..

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed seeing the pictures also and finding out about anytime dining and your view on it. We are sailing on the Emerald on the 26th and looking forward to our Baltic cruise. This was a last minute booking as we had to cancel our Egyptian vacation in Feb. and finally got all our money back. We had already booked the Emerald for an Eastern Caribbean for Jan. 2012 and now we are going to be on it for our Baltic. We will know it inside and out by the time our 2nd cruise comes up. We to are anytime dining as we are going ourselves on this cruise (January with a gang of friends) We are actually going to ask to be seated with others as we love to meet new people. I have all the good spots and times picked out for the food though thanks to you lol. Again great review...I hope I can come back with some advice to post about also.

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Enjoy your cruises on the Emerald. She is a beautiful ship!

Thanks for the review! We just booked the Emerald for January 27, 2012. It ill be great not to have smokers on the balconies:D. Thanks Princess!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise! Now that DH has joined the ranks of non-smokers, we too are glad that smoking on balconies is no longer permitted. Now, if they could just do away with cigar smoking entirely....

Thanks for being so generous with your time in crafting this very detailed and informative review. Now I intend to read your Carnival reviews.

Nice piece of writing.

Norris in Chicago, 28 days away from his first Princess cruise..

I know you will enjoy your first Princess cruise! Thanks for the kind comments. While we generally prefer Carnival over Princess, I would certainly sail Princess again if the price was right. When you get to the big cruise lines, there are far more similarities than differences! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks PCrum for a well thought out and wonderful review of your cruise! We loved the photos too! It really takes some time to provide such an evaluation and your remarks were appreciated! Now it makes me even more anxious for our upcoming Emerald cruise just seven months away!

Cheers!

Ken !

Well, we officially booked today on the Emerald Princess for a 10-day "Southern Caribbean Medley" sailing on October 19th, 2011!

I guess we'll take a cab or bus over, unless we get lucky and they dock at Havensight. This is where we load up on liquor to take back home - we bring back 5 or 6 liter bottles per person of Stoli Vodka. Here in VA it is $28 per bottle. In St. Thomas they are $8 to $10 per bottle. We buy from "Al Cohen's" and they guarantee delivery to your ship. I'll have to check and see if they deliver to the Crown Bay dock. If not, we will have to lug it back with us.

I don't recall in your review any information on live music. What should we expect aboard the Emerald? Anyone?

There was live music playing every day. The lobby area would sometimes have live music and there is always the piano bar, which we really enjoyed. A band called Evolution was also playing in the Wheelhouse Bar. You won't have to look hard to find live music! Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks PCrum for a well thought out and wonderful review of your cruise! We loved the photos too! It really takes some time to provide such an evaluation and your remarks were appreciated! Now it makes me even more anxious for our upcoming Emerald cruise just seven months away!

Cheers!

Ken !

Enjoy your cruise! Have some freshly made chocolate chip cookies for me!!

Enjoyed your detailed review. DH and I will be on the Emerald 10 Day Southern Caribbean in Nov. 2nd time for us to be sailing on the Emerald again, but enjoyed it so much.

Thanks for all the photos too!:D

I know you will enjoy your cruise. We like to cruise in Nov. as the weather is not so hot!! Have a wonderful time!

Hello. PCrum - you had a very detailed review. I like the pictures with it. DH & I are booked on the Emerald in April 2012. This will be our first time on Emerald (7th cruise with Princess - so far a different ship for each sailing).

Question - You mentioned that sushi is free if you get wine at Vines. How much wine do you have to buy to get the free sushi? How much sushi do you get? If you don't get wine - how much is the sushi?

Thank you for your help.

We will be on the Emerald next year so really loved your pics and review. Just one note. Princess makes all their own breads and pasteries, so when they ran out of crousants one day, naturally the next day would be more. All in all, I thought your review was spot on. I am hoping the with the new Royal ship, they will change the horizon court to be larger and more accomadating as this is always a issue. Thanks again for your review.

Archived