Review of our Spring Break cruise on Carnival Dream

PaulMedik

I'll be in that cabin in TWO WEEKS!!!!!

Did you have any noise-related problems from the bar that was just underneath of your cabin?

Pop into karaoke and tell Rozwin his Cruise Mom says HI!!!

Have a wonderful cruise....

falconfan,

Yes, our nine year old Spencer lived at Circle C. Of all our boys, he's always been the least outgoing, but he enjoyed Circle C so much that we rarely got to speak with him. We stopped by the areas where they were several times each day just to check up on him without him seeing us and he appeared to be having the time of his life. Circle C on Dream basically is a two deck area where they have organized activities from noon until three each day. The main deck is deck four, but they do quite a bit on deck five as well. They follow a published schedule so it's easy to keep up with where they'll be at any given time.

Carnival Dream's Circle C seemed to offer a lot more and have more areas specifically for their activities than Conquest Class ships. They were also better segregated from the general ship population than on Conquest. Security is also always present to deter things from getting out of hand. If I was to pick out one aspect of Dream that was far above all others, it would likely be Circle C........well maybe the Spa as well. ;)

The 9 year old should have been at Camp Carnival (which is for 2-11 age group). Circle C is for the 12-14 age group. Did your 13 year old attend Circle C?

PaulMedik, this is a fantastic review. It's been super helpful to us in planning our first Carnival cruise. Thank you for all of the effort you've put into this.

Could you please tell me which night were the formal nights on your itinerary? Thanks and welcome back ashore!

The 9 year old should have been at Camp Carnival (which is for 2-11 age group). Circle C is for the 12-14 age group. Did your 13 year old attend Circle C?

falconfan,

Whoops! Spencer is 13, not 9. :o Britt is 9 and he did go to Camp Carnival and enjoyed it too, but everything I listed earlier about Spencer is about Circle C, not Camp Carnival. Sorry for the mistyped age.

LHP,

US Air is a new carrier for Melbourne according to locals and their fares are helping to bring other carriers' fares down as well. Be sure and check USAir.com for rates. Granted it wasn't direct flights like we'd had the last few years, but the layover times weren't long and in Charlotte all of our gates were in the same area which was convenient as well.

PaulMedik, this is a fantastic review. It's been super helpful to us in planning our first Carnival cruise. Thank you for all of the effort you've put into this.

Could you please tell me which night were the formal nights on your itinerary? Thanks and welcome back ashore!

greatdanemom,

Thank you.

Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday. Sunday was our second day on board and first day at sea. Thursday's formal was after our port day in Costa Maya. The Past Guest reception was also Thursday at 3:00PM and 5:00PM, which was earlier than PG receptions on previous cruises.

falconfan,

Whoops! Spencer is 13, not 9. :o Britt is 9 and he did go to Camp Carnival and enjoyed it too, but everything I listed earlier about Spencer is about Circle C, not Camp Carnival. Sorry for the mistyped age.

Paul, I'm glad I'm not the only one who mixes up their boys. Yesterday I looked at Steve and called him Matt - and not a half hour later looked at Matt and called him Steve.:p

falconfan,

Awesome! Glad to hear it and the kids will be happy to know that the information you provided was about Circle C.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Paul,

I had read somewhere that they were starting a something new for the pictures on the Dream..Something about viewing your pictures on a computer or something..Had they started this on your cruise? If so, how did it work? I'm hoping they'll eventually have something like Disney does so you can buy all your pics on a CD to take home..that would be great...Thanks

Darla

I read on this Board a few weeks ago that on the last sea day there was an open bar or free drinks (4 - 5 or 5 - 6) A few mentioned it, but have not heard anything for quite a while. Did they do this on your cruise? Thanks for previous answers!

Paul,

I don't suppose that your son went on the teen excursion with the ship, did he? Do you know which port it was at?

thank you.

meatloafsfan,

No. Didn't hear about that one. Sorry.

Paul,

I had read somewhere that they were starting a something new for the pictures on the Dream..Something about viewing your pictures on a computer or something..Had they started this on your cruise? If so, how did it work? I'm hoping they'll eventually have something like Disney does so you can buy all your pics on a CD to take home..that would be great...Thanks

Darla

Darla,

Yes they started using them our week. They are located on the end caps in the photo display area on deck 4 and near there as well.

Here's what they look like;

2451685570065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

You swipe your S&S card through a reader at the bottom much like we all now do at gas stations, ATMs, and other retail stores. After you swipe your card, it takes a few seconds to load pictures you've had taken then they are displayed on the screen;

2337671330065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

If you take a picture of the screen with your pictures on it and they see you, they will come running and tell you that you aren't allowed to take pictures. Don't attempt to explain that you are taking pictures to show people how it works either because they won't believe you...or at least they didn't believe me. :D A simple 'shut up and check and see how many we've bought and you'll know I'm not ripping you off' will cause them to at least walk away. ;) Don't know whether it's the 'shut up' that gets them or the explanation, but they won't accept any other answer.

I read on this Board a few weeks ago that on the last sea day there was an open bar or free drinks (4 - 5 or 5 - 6) A few mentioned it, but have not heard anything for quite a while. Did they do this on your cruise? Thanks for previous answers!

the herd,

I read that, but didn't remember it in time to partake. I'm not sure now whether I read it here on CC or in the Fun Times, but I did read that somewhere.

meatloafsfan,

No. Didn't hear about that one. Sorry.

Darla,

Yes they started using them our week. They are located on the end caps in the photo display area on deck 4 and near there as well.

Here's what they look like;

2451685570065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

You swipe your S&S card through a reader at the bottom much like we all now do at gas stations, ATMs, and other retail stores. After you swipe your card, it takes a few seconds to load pictures you've had taken then they are displayed on the screen;

2337671330065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

If you take a picture of the screen with your pictures on it and they see you, they will come running and tell you that you aren't allowed to take pictures. Don't attempt to explain that you are taking pictures to show people how it works either because they won't believe you...or at least they didn't believe me. :D A simple 'shut up and check and see how many we've bought and you'll know I'm not ripping you off' will cause them to at least walk away. ;) Don't know whether it's the 'shut up' that gets them or the explanation, but they won't accept any other answer.

the herd,

I read that, but didn't remember it in time to partake. I'm not sure now whether I read it here on CC or in the Fun Times, but I did read that somewhere.

So now when they take your picture they ask for your sail and sign card?

Thanks for showing the "picture finder." It sure as heck seems easier than pawing thru thousands of photos - even if they are sorted into sections/time slots, as they do now. How many of these do they have around the photo area? Was there a log-jam to use them to view your photos? And I still see the displays of photos behind the viewer - are these photos they can't "add" onto your s and s card, such as ones as you debark a port, or as you exit dinner and they have a pirate, or showgirl there as a photo op? Great review as usual, btw!

So now when they take your picture they ask for your sail and sign card?

spencercoop,

Yes, but not all the time. Pictures they took without asking for S&S still made it to the photo finder via facial recognition.

Hi again Paul! I'm wondering if you saved the Fun Times from your cruise? I am wondering about the karaoke... do they have it nightly? If not, what nights and locations?

Thanks for the info!

Luv Da Sun,

Yes, we brought them home. Still trying to decide best way to scan them in. As I recall, there was Karaoke each night, but it rotated locations.

Thanks for showing the "picture finder." It sure as heck seems easier than pawing thru thousands of photos - even if they are sorted into sections/time slots, as they do now. How many of these do they have around the photo area? Was there a log-jam to use them to view your photos? And I still see the displays of photos behind the viewer - are these photos they can't "add" onto your s and s card, such as ones as you debark a port, or as you exit dinner and they have a pirate, or showgirl there as a photo op? Great review as usual, btw!

pe4all,

There was never a line for using the photo finders and there are plenty of them throughout the area.

They are still printing all photos, even the photos in the photo finder are printed. We used the photo finder mainly to see the backgrounds we needed to look for, then went to those display areas and located our pictures.

Another thing I observed on several occasions was the photo staff was more attentive to finding printed pictures for guests that were unable to locate them. It seemed the staff was better versed in where pictures were, where they had been taken, who took them, and what night etc.

This may seem like an odd question but was the backdrop for the embarkation photo a green screen or did they actually have a picture of the ship?

falconfan,

Sorry I do not recall the color, but I do recall that it was a blank screen with no props in front or beside it.

falconfan,

Sorry I do not recall the color, but I do recall that it was a blank screen with no props in front or beside it.

And the green screen can make the backdrop go "right through" your clothes if you wear certain colors.:eek:

This may seem like an odd question but was the backdrop for the embarkation photo a green screen or did they actually have a picture of the ship?

It's the green screen thing, where they later superimpose a background shot.

So . . . if you happen to be wearing a green (or primarily green) outfit at embarkation, the resulting image is rather humorous, and also possibly disappointing.

edit to add - I see that answer was already being given while I typed so slowly.

And the green screen can make the backdrop go "right through" your clothes if you wear certain colors.:eek:

That is my hope.

It's the green screen thing, where they later superimpose a background shot.

So . . . if you happen to be wearing a green (or primarily green) outfit at embarkation, the resulting image is rather humorous, and also possibly disappointing.

edit to add - I see that answer was already being given while I typed so slowly.

I am not a big fan of the embarkation pics so that will be my goal. We are going to put everyone in Green shirts and see what happens. I wonder if Carnival will even print the pictures.

That is my hope.

I am not a big fan of the embarkation pics so that will be my goal. We are going to put everyone in Green shirts and see what happens. I wonder if Carnival will even print the pictures.

that picture would be hilarious. I have seen them printed before so I don't know why they wouldn't

Thank you for those photo answers. I guess they are still printing all the pictures since the system is brand new. Or they are just trying to stop the log-jam at the photos by making them easier to preview.

Archived