Pacific Dawn misses Noumea?

Hi everyone, (I don't know how true it is), but I was just reading from one of the posters on the P & O Facebook site that Noumea has been cancelled from the current Pacific Dawn cruise due to mechanical issues. Does anyone have any info??:confused: I would think that would be all P & O needed at the moment:(.

Jenny

The Pacfic Dawn was late leaving Brisbane on Saturday. As the Pacific Dawn does not dock till 3pm in Noumea, any delays that can not be made up along the way would mean a shorter stay & be a waste of time & effort.

Earlier this year the Pacific Dawn was also late leaving Brisbane & bypassed Noumea meaning only 2 stops inplace of the usual 3.

Yes, am1984, it's obvious, isn't it. I thought that when I looked at the cruise cam this morning.

On our cruise, we didn't hang around waiting to get into Napier, because it was a short stop and we couldn't make a useful stay there. I can see no point into going to all the trouble to tie up in these circumstances.

I see the Pacific Sun is heading for Norfolk Is now, as they missed it on the outward trip due to late leaving. The sea is so calm out there today, so hope it's the same when they get there.

The Pacfic Dawn was late leaving Brisbane on Saturday. As the Pacific Dawn does not dock till 3pm in Noumea, any delays that can not be made up along the way would mean a shorter stay & be a waste of time & effort.

Earlier this year the Pacific Dawn was also late leaving Brisbane & bypassed Noumea meaning only 2 stops inplace of the usual 3.

They don't always cancel Noumea though. We've done 2 cruises out of Brisbane with the afternoon/evening in Noumea. On both cruises we were lat leaving, and in both instances we were correspondingly late into Noumea - getting in around 6pm both times. On the first cruise they put on buses to transport passengers to the restaurant precinct at Lemon Bay and we stayed until about 2am instead of leaving at 10pm, and the second time we just had a shorter stop in Noumea. Not too many people complained either time.

I guess it depends how late they were running. If there really was mechanical problems and their speed was affected, they might have decided to go straight to Lifou instead.

I think missing NOUMEA would be a bonus and its the prime reason the Island tours no longer appeal to me.

Been there twice on P&O cruises and I have NO DESIRE

TO EVER GO THERE AGAIN.

If only they had more cruises without Noumea in the winter months-

be way more appealing to me

I agree with you entirely. Noumea is just such a waste of a port when there are so many other truly beautiful places in the South Pacific! I am reluctant to do another South Pacific Cruise as I too have been to Noumea twice and don't want to go again. Why don't P and O scrap Noumea off the schedule?? So many people dislike it! Even the cruise director and a couple of comedians were making sarcastic jokes about it last week. Come on P and O - LISTEN TO US!!!!

Whilst everybody is entitled to their own opinion, having visited Noumea on the Jewel in March, my family and I actually enjoyed it. Sure - the city itself is a bit dirty, the locals not all that friendly, but get out of the city, and have a look around the island, and you see a much different side of the island.

I also quite liked Noumea. I didn't find the locals to be unfriendly at all...had no issues walking through the park on the way back to the boat...loved watching the sunset from up on one of the hills we walked to...we had a fantastic dinner for a decent price...I really don't see why everyone has such a dislike for it.

One thing I really did like there (in hindsight) was not being harassed for money and taxi business everywhere we went. Even though the city itself wasn't as pretty as the other places, I would really like to be able to spend a full day there and look around...it's probably the first one of the three ports we went to (Vila and Lifou were the others) that I would like to go back to.

We never felt unsafe walkinfgaround etc,

but it just doesn't do it for me and I know we are not alone and yet its on almost every island cruise,

There must be other possibilities they could explore-

Mystery Island was a far better option

We never felt unsafe walkinfgaround etc,

but it just doesn't do it for me and I know we are not alone and yet its on almost every island cruise, There must be other possibilities they could explore- Mystery Island was a far better option

There are quite a few things to do in Noumea. We don't love it or hate it.

Look at this matter from the side of the person designing the itineraries. Noumea is the closest port to Australia so they can put in a port day after a few sea days. A lot of new cruisers get 'cabin-fever' if they have too many sea days in a row (we don't!!). The seven day cruises from Brisbane are very popular, particularly with first-time cruises. This itinerary has three port days so people probably feel they are getting better value for money than if they had two port days. Possibly Noumea could be replaced by Isle of Pines, but I have heard (second-hand only!) that the French Caledonian authorities want ships to stop at Noumea if they are going to other ports in NC. Another factor to consider is the fact that in Noumea the ship is alongside rather than having to use tenders. This makes it much easier for disabled people to disembark.

Maybe people who don't like the city of Noumea much could consider going to Amadee Island or Duck Island for the day. They would get more of the "island experience" there than in the city.

This was put on the P&O blog yesterday:

There has been some talk in recent weeks about Noumea’s merits as a cruise destination. So it makes sense to post some valuable info on the port.

Noumea is an important destination for P&O Cruises, not only for its visitor highlights but also as a key port for provisions and technical support when needed. Since New Caledonia is a French-speaking little corner of the world, perhaps the so-called ‘language barrier’ might be an issue that colours opinions of Noumea.

But ask people in the know here at P&O Cruises and you’ll find advocates for Noumea’s cruise destination gems. And when it comes to Noumea, their tip is to dig a little deeper and go beyond the immediate views of the surrounding port and city for some great holiday experiences.

Then there are some ideas for tours of the area.

This was put on the P&O blog yesterday:

There has been some talk in recent weeks about Noumea’s merits as a cruise destination. So it makes sense to post some valuable info on the port.

Noumea is an important destination for P&O Cruises, not only for its visitor highlights but also as a key port for provisions and technical support when needed. Since New Caledonia is a French-speaking little corner of the world, perhaps the so-called ‘language barrier’ might be an issue that colours opinions of Noumea.

But ask people in the know here at P&O Cruises and you’ll find advocates for Noumea’s cruise destination gems. And when it comes to Noumea, their tip is to dig a little deeper and go beyond the immediate views of the surrounding port and city for some great holiday experiences.

Then there are some ideas for tours of the area.

I understand all the merits etc etc,

But it is the 1 reason why I'll probably not take another cruise up to this region- on P&O- done 2 and that is enough!

It just doesn't appeal and life is short to do same cruise over and over-

hence Jump ship to other cruise lines and do other cruises- probably just as cheap - if not cheaper

I just got off the cruise today that missed Noumea. Noumea gets such mixed reviews but I still would have liked to check it out for myself.

It was disappointing but even more disappointing that P&O think $50 credit covers missing a port! I paid almost $2500 to cruise. That hardly seems reasonable. Passengers were very unhappy and I would say P&O will receive a lot of complaints.

I am a first time cruiser and will be posting a review as soon as I can :) Will be a good read for other first time cruisers or ppl considering a cruise in the future.

The late departure was due to a fuse on the starboard propulsion motor circuit board. Then overnight more maintenance was required on the propulsion motor excitation transformer and to do this they had to reduce speed through the night apparently. So because of both of these reasons they decided to cancel the Noumea port of call.

Sorry just ablibbing off the Log Of The Cruise.

The late departure was due to a fuse on the starboard propulsion motor circuit board. Then overnight more maintenance was required on the propulsion motor excitation transformer and to do this they had to reduce speed through the night apparently. So because of both of these reasons they decided to cancel the Noumea port of call.

Sorry just ablibbing off the Log Of The Cruise.

Gosh they really are having a lot of mechanical issues with Pacific Dawn. Maybe the Engine room is past it's useby date....:p

Jillybean:)

We saw Noumea on a cruise last year. but we were lucky in that we arrived early in the morning, so we were able to do a city highlights bus tour in the morning, a walk around the town, then a glass bottomed boat excursion in the afternoon.

We quite liked it, though I can't say the locals in the shops are all that friendly.

I suppose the pluses are that it is a big port, no tenders required.

As someone said, the ship probably picks up provisions there and it gives passengers a better chance of at least going to one of the ports if the weather is a bit choppy.

I enjoyed the Isle of Pines a lot and wouldn't mind visiting again, though there isn't a lot to see there, as such.

It is a bit of a pity but most cruises seem to either do these sth Pacific islands or else NZ or Qld.

I know there are a few other options too, but often longer.

I think what we need are possibly more fly/cruise package deals-I have seen a few starting to appear eg to Hawaii.

It is a bit of a pity but most cruises seem to either do these sth Pacific islands or else NZ or Qld.

I know there are a few other options too, but often longer.

I think what we need are possibly more fly/cruise package deals-I have seen a few starting to appear eg to Hawaii.

As you say, there aren't any other options. The Aust east coast, the Pacific Islands and New Zealand are the only places that can be reached from Sydney or Brisbane in a reasonable length of time. Often the longer cruises (28 nights to Tahiti) are slow selling probably because they cost a lot more and many people can't get away for that long. The higher cost and the bother of international flights is a negative factor with fly/cruises.

P & O seem to be trying for new itineraries with cruises out of Fremantle, but a lot of people from the east coast are reluctant to book because of the extra cost of air fare. This is probably why P & O have had to reduce prices on some of these cruises.

We have a new port now - Norfolk Is. I hope it becomes a regular, but from what we have heard, there are difficulties with landing.

As you say, there aren't any other options. The Aust east coast, the Pacific Islands and New Zealand are the only places that can be reached from Sydney or Brisbane in a reasonable length of time. Often the longer cruises (28 nights to Tahiti) are slow selling probably because they cost a lot more and many people can't get away for that long. The higher cost and the bother of international flights is a negative factor with fly/cruises.

P & O seem to be trying for new itineraries with cruises out of Fremantle, but a lot of people from the east coast are reluctant to book because of the extra cost of air fare. This is probably why P & O have had to reduce prices on some of these cruises.

We have a new port now - Norfolk Is. I hope it becomes a regular, but from what we have heard, there are difficulties with landing.

I noticed that there were some Hawaiin packages out, that covered air fare, a night in a hotel then a 7 day cruise. The cost was quite competitive when i looked up air fares. I think the packages were about $3000 from Melbourne, while air fare alone often ranged from $1200+(usually dearer-sometimes into the $2000 range and I saw one quoted-now get this!!:eek: at $13000 for a return in economy class-tell them they're dreaming LOL)) .

The good thing was I emailed and they were willing to quote on a package that included a few extra days in a hotel in Honolulu, so there was some flexibility.

What we need are more land tour/cruise tour/air fare packages. There are a few around but not a lot.

Alaska, Hawaii, some of the European ones would be good. I know they would be dearer though.

I agree P&O need to reduce the price of their cruises to accommodate travel and airfare costs.

I just looked up the cost of the 3 day short break cruise from Brisbane that doesn't stop anywhere and it's ridiculous. Nearly $900 per person.

hi AA, you may have to do a search and get a few quotes as that price is too dear, was that a balcony price......also that 3 day cruise there will be no duty free smokes or alcohol as you dont leave australian waters

rkmw

I think it might be time to consider the Solomons [from Brisvegas at least].

The troubles there seem to have settled.

I have a business associate who has lived there for 30+ years and from all accounts it is a beautiful place - especially for snorkellers and scuba divers.

Malaita, Guadalcanal - some marvellous and historic places to see.

It also has the benefit of being another Commonwealth country.

Archived