Have you brought a diamond tester along to test diamonds you purchased?

heatherandfred

When it comes to buying diamonds I have one rule: There must be very large carbon deposits easily visible to the naked eye. This serves three purposes:

1) I know the diamond is real.

2) The diamond is very cheap!

3) It decreases the chances of my wife asking me to buy her diamonds again as a gift.

:D:p;):cool:

I know this sounds weird, but I've thought about bringing a diamond tester with me to the islands to authenticate the diamonds I may buy. Have you ever done this and with what results?

No reputable dealer is going to sell you a fake diamond. I have never seen any fabulous jewelry deal in the Caribbean. Highly recommend you save any expensive purchases for a local dealer, or from a well known internet dealer such as Blue Nile. It is far easier to take these purchases back, if they are not what you expected/wanted, then to try and return something perhaps thousands of miles away.

You live near NYC, right? Why wouldn't you go to the diamond district there?

Do you mean a jeweler you can trust?

Too Funny!!

I know this sounds weird, but I've thought about bringing a diamond tester with me to the islands to authenticate the diamonds I may buy. Have you ever done this and with what results?

What is a "diamond tester"??:confused: If you mean a jeweler's loupe to inspect a diamond, I would imagine that you would need to have quite a bit of experience in authenticating and rating diamonds to use one properly and with any degree of accuracy.

What is a "diamond tester"??:confused: If you mean a jeweler's loupe to inspect a diamond, I would imagine that you would need to have quite a bit of experience in authenticating and rating diamonds to use one properly and with any degree of accuracy.

There are very portable electronic devices readily available, they are called: Diamond Testers

http://www.gemworld.com/DiamondTesters.asp

There are very portable electronic devices readily available, they are called: Diamond Testers

http://www.gemworld.com/DiamondTesters.asp

Thanks - I never knew of such a device. That's why I love these boards. Have you used one before and, if so, did you fine it to satisfactory?

What is their guaranteed accuracy, if you know. I appreciate the info - thanks so much! :)

on our honeymoon, we met another couple (on theirs as well) and the husband was a jeweler. Had a good time going to the stores in St. Thomas and having him look at stuff.

It is my understanding that diamonds can legally be advertised 1 level higher (or lower) than what they would actually be certified as (as long as they are not certified). Wouldn't you know it, it was pretty obvious to this trained individual that that is exactly what was happening.

If you are buying a stone in the carib. downgrade everything by 1 notch, if it's still a good deal, you should be OK (assuming you are in a reputable shop).

on our honeymoon, we met another couple (on theirs as well) and the husband was a jeweler. Had a good time going to the stores in St. Thomas and having him look at stuff.

It is my understanding that diamonds can legally be advertised 1 level higher (or lower) than what they would actually be certified as (as long as they are not certified). Wouldn't you know it, it was pretty obvious to this trained individual that that is exactly what was happening.

If you are buying a stone in the carib. downgrade everything by 1 notch, if it's still a good deal, you should be OK (assuming you are in a reputable shop).

Interesting post! I didn't know that. I think "certification" is the big issue. I wouldn't buy any precious stone without a GIA certificate. AH Riise in St. Thomas gave me one for the single-stone emerald ring I bought there (1992??), and it is legit. We went through a diamond broker in Palo Alto, CA, to get our unset cut diamond, and got a GIA certificate. During 80's cruising, I - like others - was overwhelmed by the great jewelry "bargains" in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so I made some great and not-so-great purchases on semi-precious stone jewelry. It all worked out to be about even. The 14k gold will remain the same, though, and I still wear my irradiated blue topaz and amethyst sets. I'm the only one who knows! It's "pretty"!

I bought a gorgeous bracelet in 2007 from a reputable jeweler in St. Maarten. When I came home, my jeweler appraised it at $1500 above what I paid! Thanks Mr. Bienstock on 47th street in Manhattan!

To answer your question, 6rugrats, I want something unique, plus I don't want to pay sales tax. Shoot, it's an arm and a leg(sales tax in NYC). I do live near the diamond district and have a jeweler down there. Plus, I love shopping in the Caribbean.

I bought a gorgeous bracelet in 2007 from a reputable jeweler in St. Maarten. When I came home, my jeweler appraised it at $1500 above what I paid! Thanks Mr. Bienstock on 47th street in Manhattan!

To answer your question, 6rugrats, I want something unique, plus I don't want to pay sales tax. Shoot, it's an arm and a leg(sales tax in NYC). I do live near the diamond district and have a jeweler down there. Plus, I love shopping in the Caribbean.

Just realize that a "replacement value" appraisal (which is done for your Homeowner's insurance) is NOT the same as an "actual value" appraisal (which is what you MIGHT get if you sold it). Big price difference! A friend of mine bought a beautiful set of matching freshwater pearls for me in China about seven years ago, and I paid him $250, which was his cost. (Necklace, bracelet, ear studs, pearl and diamond 14k gold ring, and 14k gold pearl and diamond pendant). My local GIA certified jeweler appraised the "replacement value" at $3800, and the "actual value" at about $1500. $2300 is some significant difference! So - what kind of appraisal did you get on your bracelet?

My parents purchased a diamond tennis bracelet in St. Thomas at a store that had a store in NYC. The bracelet appraised, by an independent appraiser, at a lower value than was stated in St. Thomas. They were told they could return (when purchased) to the store in NYC if there were any problems. The NYC store would not accept the return.

So buyers be aware of the return policies (in writing) before you make your purchase. If you want to bring a diamond tester along, why not? Although this will tell you if the diamond is real, I don't believe they test the quality of the stone--Color, Cut, Clarity, Carat weight, which you will want to have independently appraised.

Laura

My parents purchased a diamond tennis bracelet in St. Thomas at a store that had a store in NYC. The bracelet appraised, by an independent appraiser, at a lower value than was stated in St. Thomas. They were told they could return (when purchased) to the store in NYC if there were any problems. The NYC store would not accept the return.

So buyers be aware of the return policies (in writing) before you make your purchase. If you want to bring a diamond tester along, why not? Although this will tell you if the diamond is real, I don't believe they test the quality of the stone--Color, Cut, Clarity, Carat weight, which you will want to have independently appraised.

Laura

Beware of buying "diamond" tennis bracelets anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexican Ports of Call! They use yellow leftover industrial diamonds/chips, which are cheaper than CZs. They are advertised everywhere, especially on St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Cozumel. I actually have one I bought during my "stupid years" in the 80's, and the only valuable thing is the 14k gold setting. Don't think you can even get that these days! Most likely 10k.

You do understand that you will have to pay a NY State Use Tax on out of state purchases. New York has been sending people to jail for not paying these taxes. For example, they have sued Amazon so that Amazon must now collect NY State sales taxes. I understand that New York is also pursuing international venues for information on tax cheats. Yes - tax cheat - that's what this is.

From the NY State Dept of Taxation:

"Failure to pay sales or use tax may result in the imposition of penalty and interest. The Tax Department conducts both routine and special audits to promote compliance. In addition, the U.S. Customs Service provides the Department with information from customs declarations filed by New York State residents returning from overseas travel. The Department also obtains information on sales to New York State residents under information exchange agreements with other states."

So, I assume that you will also lie on your customs declaration.

And watch out for fellow travelers who might turn you in.

You do understand that you will have to pay a NY State Use Tax on out of state purchases. New York has been sending people to jail for not paying these taxes. For example, they have sued Amazon so that Amazon must now collect NY State sales taxes. I understand that New York is also pursuing international venues for information on tax cheats. Yes - tax cheat - that's what this is.

From the NY State Dept of Taxation:

"Failure to pay sales or use tax may result in the imposition of penalty and interest. The Tax Department conducts both routine and special audits to promote compliance. In addition, the U.S. Customs Service provides the Department with information from customs declarations filed by New York State residents returning from overseas travel. The Department also obtains information on sales to New York State residents under information exchange agreements with other states."

So, I assume that you will also lie on your customs declaration.

And watch out for fellow travelers who might turn you in.

Does NY State count Caribbean destinations as "overseas travel"?? Last I heard, Passports were required for "overseas travel". Not so for closed-loop cruising leaving from and returning to the US. Sounds like VAT taxes to me.

Does NY State count Caribbean destinations as "overseas travel"?? Last I heard, Passports were required for "overseas travel". Not so for closed-loop cruising leaving from and returning to the US. Sounds like VAT taxes to me.

New York State does not care where you've been - if you bring something in which was purchased elsewhere they want you to pay sales tax. The mention of "overseas travel" was only to point out that N Y has access to customs declarations. Connecticut has the same approach - called a "sales and use tax" -even if the sale did not take place in the state, a tax is owed if the thing is used in the state; state income tax forms have provision for declaring, accounting for, and figuring tax on such items.

Not sure how things work with valuations in the states but we learnt a bif lesson last year.

We purchased a ***tanzanite and diamond ring of and RCI ship.

We got it home and took it to be altered in size - nobody in our home town would touch it because of the design it could not be resized sucessfully also because it was 14 k not 18k.

We also wanted a valuation. It had to be sent to the Assay office in Birmingham. Of course becasue it was valuable it had to be sent by special delivery but they needed a value of the item being sent.......we quoted the price paid. It went off and we didn't realise how the valuations are done or how long they took.

Each stone is removed, graded and reset.

Turned out the ring was as per certificate provided by the jewellers on the ship and not worth what we had paid.

We got in touch with the suppliers who are based in the UK and supply the cruise ships. They offered a reduction in price or full refund. All this hassle had taken the pleasure away from the purchase and we took the refund.

Lesson learned - use your local jeweller for any major purchase and don't believe any valuation done by looking through an eye piece!

New York State does not care where you've been - if you bring something in which was purchased elsewhere they want you to pay sales tax. The mention of "overseas travel" was only to point out that N Y has access to customs declarations. Connecticut has the same approach - called a "sales and use tax" -even if the sale did not take place in the state, a tax is owed if the thing is used in the state; state income tax forms have provision for declaring, accounting for, and figuring tax on such items.

Thanks for the clarification- appreciate it! I know when I leave the ship and turn in my Customs Declaration form, no one even looks at it. It's just placed in a pile with hundreds of other ones. Where do these Declaration forms end up, anyway? I've often wondered that. What about duty-free purchases made in US territories? TIA.

Not sure how things work with valuations in the states but we learnt a bif lesson last year.

We purchased a ***tanzanite and diamond ring of and RCI ship.

We got it home and took it to be altered in size - nobody in our home town would touch it because of the design it could not be resized sucessfully also because it was 14 k not 18k. I used to work with fine jewelry and 14k gold could always be sized. Was the ring gold plated?

We also wanted a valuation. It had to be sent to the Assay office in Birmingham. Of course becasue it was valuable it had to be sent by special delivery but they needed a value of the item being sent.......we quoted the price paid. It went off and we didn't realise how the valuations are done or how long they took.

Each stone is removed, graded and reset.

Turned out the ring was as per certificate provided by the jewellers on the ship and not worth what we had paid.

We got in touch with the suppliers who are based in the UK and supply the cruise ships. They offered a reduction in price or full refund. All this hassle had taken the pleasure away from the purchase and we took the refund.

Lesson learned - use your local jeweller for any major purchase and don't believe any valuation done by looking through an eye piece!

Some settings are more difficult to size than others.

Thanks - I never knew of such a device. That's why I love these boards. Have you used one before and, if so, did you fine it to satisfactory?

What is their guaranteed accuracy, if you know. I appreciate the info - thanks so much! :)

No, I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, I've only seen them being used.

Archived