Bag Scanning

suncruising

Which Southern Caribbean ports scan (or does Princess) your bags as you leave the ship for excursions? From what I understand Princess always scans your bag when you get back on the ship.

I'm wondering about:

San Juan

St. Thomas

Tortola

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Dominica

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

Thanks. I see some people are posting hostile messages about people taking food (including approved food) off the ship but I was wondering what the deal was, if the bags were even scanned. I want to take our bottled drinks and coffee in the morning.

Thanks. I see some people are posting hostile messages about people taking food (including approved food) off the ship but I was wondering what the deal was, if the bags were even scanned. I want to take our bottled drinks and coffee in the morning.

Princess does not care if you take any food off the ship, however, most of countries do not want you bringing fruits, vegetables, and meats into the country. However, I always carry bottled water and some sealed packages of snack crackers with me when I leave the ship and nothing has ever been said.

Bottled drinks and coffee are fine to be carried off. The ship isn't the one concerned about food stuffs taken off the ship, it is some of the countries you may visit.

Just for instance, when disembarking the tender in one Mexican Port (sorry, can't remember which one), the port security searched each and every bag, purse, backpack and any other items passengers carried looking for food. If found, they disposed of it in huge 55 gallon drums. There were warnings in the Princess patter the night before, and also annoucements, but passengers think the rules don't apply to them so removed food from the ship anyway.

Some countries are even more strict, and I think it was Pam that posted one port she visited somewhere, they had dogs sniffing each persons bag at the pier before they were allowed to leave the area.

Some ports, there is no problem, others, a huge problem that can result in as small as the items being taken away to a huge monitary fine.

I haven't seen hostile messages about taking off food, just practical ones about why some countries and ports are particular restrict what foods can be taken off the ship. Don't know what you mean by "approved food," but you can check the various websites for each country to see what their import and tourism rules are ahead of time if this is a concern. I can certainly understand the caution as I live in a state in which the agricultural industry (which is probably a bigger one than tourism) has been threatened in the past from pests.

Bottled drinks are certainly fine. In many ports, sealed pre-packaged foods are okay too.

And they will tell you ahead of time if the local goverment doesnt allow fruit etc of the ship. Always scan your bag when you reboard

On our last cruise on the Grand in Feb (Caribbean) there was not one mention in any Patter about removing food from the ship. If the local rules prohibited it they certainly didn't indicate it aboard the ship.

This is just the truth. You can be fined for a great deal amount of money if you take food off the ship... Is it worth to you taking $5.00 worth of snacks and get fined $5,000? By the way, there is no such thing as approved food, unless it is in wrappers (like candy bars), and even then... Bottled water seems to be fine, since the ships do sell them before you leave for port...

Bottled drinks and coffee are fine to be carried off. The ship isn't the one concerned about food stuffs taken off the ship, it is some of the countries you may visit.

Just for instance, when disembarking the tender in one Mexican Port (sorry, can't remember which one), the port security searched each and every bag, purse, backpack and any other items passengers carried looking for food. If found, they disposed of it in huge 55 gallon drums. There were warnings in the Princess patter the night before, and also annoucements, but passengers think the rules don't apply to them so removed food from the ship anyway.

Some countries are even more strict, and I think it was Pam that posted one port she visited somewhere, they had dogs sniffing each persons bag at the pier before they were allowed to leave the area.

Some ports, there is no problem, others, a huge problem that can result in as small as the items being taken away to a huge monitary fine.

\\

I believe that's exactly what happens in Cabo San Lucas. Last time we were there, we left the ship later than others and by the time we got off the tender, they had 2 drums full of food they had taken from the passengers coming off the tenders.

Bottled drinks and coffee are fine to be carried off. The ship isn't the one concerned about food stuffs taken off the ship, it is some of the countries you may visit. .

I also think it was Cabo (at least on our trip). They went through my backpack and purse when we exited the tender.

Princess does not care if you take any food off the ship...

On every single cruise I have been on, there are signs ON the ship at the gangway, and it is printed in the newsletter (Princess Patter, RCI Cruise Compass, etc.) that no food is to be removed from the ship. There are threads and threads about this very subject; no "non pre-packaged" food is allowed off. Many passengers scramble to gather up the little boxes of cereal in the buffet because that's about all that can be taken off the ship.

I'm sorry, I just don't see why this is difficult for some people to understand. :confused:

Which Southern Caribbean ports scan (or does Princess) your bags as you leave the ship for excursions? From what I understand Princess always scans your bag when you get back on the ship.

I'm wondering about:

San Juan

St. Thomas

Tortola

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Dominica

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba[/

On Gernada the island has it'S own security check point with a X-ray, before you leave the island to go back to the ship which then has it's security with another x-ray.icon4.gif

On every single cruise I have been on, there are signs ON the ship at the gangway, and it is printed in the newsletter (Princess Patter, RCI Cruise Compass, etc.) that no food is to be removed from the ship. There are threads and threads about this very subject; no "non pre-packaged" food is allowed off. Many passengers scramble to gather up the little boxes of cereal in the buffet because that's about all that can be taken off the ship.

I'm sorry, I just don't see why this is difficult for some people to understand. :confused:

I can not remember any cruise we have sailed on where this was not in the Princess Patter delivered the night before we arrived in any port. It has been there on each and every cruise, along with the warning about drinking on the islands, as the content of the alcohol may be different then you are used to. It has always been lumped together in that statement, the alcohol warning and the no food to be taken off the ship.

I was given guidelines by Princess as to what I can bring on board for my food allergies (basically no meat, no handmade items, items in original packaging, etc).

However, after reading this thread, I'm wondering what I will be allowed to take off the boat of my own food so I can eat during the day at the ports. A lot of my items are in "bigger" boxes, not individual servings (can't really get corn-free, gluten-free, sugar-free stuff in indv. servings).

I guess I'll be calling Princess and finding out.

Maybe it won't be a problem in Western Caribbean ports?

Maybe I need a doctor's statement re my allergies?

Does anyone know?

I know I can always get fruit in the towns, but other than that, I'm VERY limited on what I can eat.

Anita

I guess I'll be calling Princess and finding out.

I seriously would not trust their answers. This is one of those pesky questions that is even tough for people who do import/export for a living, let alone customer care reps in a call center who think the Codex is something from a Dan Brown novel.

As a general rule, agricultural products are the problem everywhere - raw fruits/vegetables/seeds are verboten. Meats generally a problem unless preserved. Bakery goods generally *not* a problem. Dairy is complicated enough that if it isn't in a TetraPak, I'd assume it's a problem, although the US is the worst on the planet about cheese, so what do I know?

Maybe it won't be a problem in Western Caribbean ports?

If an island is of British heritage, it will be more of a problem than if it were French or Dutch.

Won't help. It's for the protection of the agriculture on the islands. If you think Customs in the US is hardassed, wait until you run afoul of APHIS.

Granted, this is all based on the law. Observance is something else altogether, but be prepared to surrender the food without question when asked, or be fined and returned to the ship. This is a Big Deal to some of these places, for whom high-value export crops like spices are the only thing buffering the vagaries of tourism.

Overall, if it's not in a can, pouch or sealed bag/box, it's vulnerable to confiscation at the very least. Plan accordingly.

Does anyone know?

I know I can always get fruit in the towns, but other than that, I'm VERY limited on what I can eat.

Anita

There is a chance you will have to plan your shore trips accordingly. A doctors note will not do you any good for taking food ashore, in fact, if there are security checking, all you will get is laughed at as they take away your unpackaged food items, sorry but true. You will probably have to go without or return to the ship to eat if packaged servings are not available in those ports that will not accept food items brought ashore.

I also agree, don't go by what Princess tells you on the telephone, most CSR's have no idea what the port rules are.

I have never seen any food items being forbidden to be taken onboard the ship at embarkation, so you will be safe there. It is taking them back off in ports or at disembarkation that you may run into serious problems. All I can suggest is to have a big meal before you leave the ship and hopefully you will be able to make it through the day without having to eat. Good Luck on this one though!

This really isn't any different than trying to smuggle fruit or agriculture products into California.

Don't worry - I will abide by the law at all times. The rules are there for good reasons - to protect the country's agricultural industry, etc.

Thinking about it, I bet I can buy nuts and fruit while in the ports from their stores. I could get by on those as a minimum if I have to.

I'm always afraid to try a salad in foreign countries because I know from my sister's family who have been missionaries in Mexico for the last 6 years that the Ag workers defecate and urinate in the fields, no matter what food is underneath them.

I also have low blood sugar, so I HAVE to eat something every 2 hours. No choice in that regard, unfortunately.

Because of that, the airlines have considered me an exception to their rules (in regards to liquids on board), though I still have to present my case to a usually disgruntled security person. I try not to take any liquids larger than the 3 oz. however, just to make it easier for them in dealing with me.

The only items I would be thinking about taking into the port would be bread-type items (crackers and cookies). Those items usually don't compromise any agricultural products, so . . . maybe?

I guess I can do some "snooping" to see if people are being searched as they get off the ship. I'll get my binoculars out!

Thanks for the replies!

Anita:)

The only items I would be thinking about taking into the port would be bread-type items (crackers and cookies). Those items usually don't compromise any agricultural products, so . . . maybe?

I guess I can do some "snooping" to see if people are being searched as they get off the ship. I'll get my binoculars out!

Thanks for the replies!

Anita:)

Packaged crackers and packaged cookies are no problem, but these would not be gluten free so I am not sure how you would eat those (or did I miss read your post about corn free-gluten free-sugar free)? Even packaged nuts. Take along anything that is sealed in a package and you will be fine. Even a can or two of things like Ensure would probably get your through to your next meal and keep your blood sugar stable, you could bring this on at embarkation. Good Luck!

Archived