All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

I have seriously considered to a B2B on Fascination (farther drive than Charleston but still doable in a day) and combine the itineraries that go to Key West and then the one that goes to HMC. They aren't cheap, either, though.

I think it's just that there are fewer east coast sailings.

The Pride sailings to the Bahamas are way more expensive than Legend sailings! Same ship, same length cruise. Much better itinerary on Legend.

But for a family of 4 driving from, say, Ohio, it could be a better option than flying to Tampa.

Are your future in-laws on Cruise Critic? If yes, and they haven't done so, please send them in the direction of our Roll Call.

I booked a couple of weeks ago and was astounded to see that there were only 2 people on there for a total of FOUR posts! I really thought this longer itinerary out of a new port would be really active. More people have joined recently, but it's really dead over there! :(

I've searched at Webshots for pics. Problem is, you get them from years ago (and I have my own from years ago - somewhere).

Was just hoping to see some from recent cruises.

Not sure why. It's not like I don't know what this class ship looks like. I guess I was hoping to see some "proof" that she's been toned down some in the decor department.

But, again, it's not like I'm not going to sail her just because of the decor!

Since I'm sailing solo this time, I'll probably take even more pics than normal.

Still hoping someone chimes in with thoughts on the pop band......

This time next week I will be sitting in my Mobile hotel room waiting for my cruise to begin!!!! It's going to be so hard to sleep that nite, I'll never get my eyes closed, to excited to sleep!!!!!

Are you going on the April 24th sailing? That's the one my sister, cousin, and I will be on. It will be my first Carnival cruise.

Are there refrigerators in the non-suite cabins? Are there at least ice buckets, if not?

Nope, my future in-laws aren't on cruise critic. They don't really use the computer. My fiance's not on here either but he is going to college for programming- he's a computer nerd, social networking nerd- not so much.

Our roll call is really dead too. So is the one on the Carnival.com forum =(. My last cruise we had a pretty good roll call going on Carnival.com and I even saw some people from the boards on the cruise.

Anyway... hopefully we'll meet lots of cool people on the boats and introduce them to CC :).

I've read all of the posts here, in hopes of finding something about the suites. I'm specifically interested in hearing from people who have sailed since the renovations. We're booked in September for a category 11 stateroom, which is a mini suite. I gather these suites are similar to a cabin we got upgraded into when we sailed on Carnival Victory in 2008 (cabin 6461). That cabin had an ENORMOUS balcony. I am fully aware of the fact our cat 11 on Fantasy has a tiny balcony, but what I'm eager to learn is whether the cabin itself compares equally to 6461 on Victory. I'd be thrilled if it is better. If anyone has any photos or comments about this category of suite, I'd appreciate it.

Nevermind. Just found out no fridge or even blow dryer. Still hoping for at least an ice bucket. I guess Disney and RCCL have spoiled me. lol!

The ice buckets in the rooms are very small. They are not big enough to chill some cans of soda or beer. Some options though:

1. Bring a collapsible cooler with you, or

2. Ask your cabin steward for a beer bucket, or

3. Buy a bucket of beer and bring the bucket back to your cabin.

In any case your room steward will keep it filled with ice.

I've read all of the posts here, in hopes of finding something about the suites. I'm specifically interested in hearing from people who have sailed since the renovations. We're booked in September for a category 11 stateroom, which is a mini suite. I gather these suites are similar to a cabin we got upgraded into when we sailed on Carnival Victory in 2008 (cabin 6461). That cabin had an ENORMOUS balcony. I am fully aware of the fact our cat 11 on Fantasy has a tiny balcony, but what I'm eager to learn is whether the cabin itself compares equally to 6461 on Victory. I'd be thrilled if it is better. If anyone has any photos or comments about this category of suite, I'd appreciate it.

Hey there Aus-sea. We are sailing Fantasy in June so if you would like I will sneak into the area of your cabin and snap some photos for you if we get on early enough. Then I will bring the pics to work with me and show them to ya there. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic by the way. :p

I just went to the bar and asked for one of the plastic buckets that they use for the buckets-o-beer and then asked my steward to keep ice in it.

I just moved from a 1A on Riviera to a 4E on Empress due to price drops. I was sort of looking forward to the 1A, but there's an outside chance I can talk someone into coming with me, and now we won't have to worry about one of us having to climb the ladder at night!

I don't know what balcony cabins are like on any class other than Spirit class. Those are all the same as any other cabin - 185 sq ft, not including the balcony.

Are those the Verandah suites? Cruisedeckplans says they are 220 sq ft with 30 sq ft balcony.

I have been in a cat 11 (OS) suite on the Sensation same class of ship. The suite on fantasy class are really about the same size as a regular balcony cabin on the Victory.

The balcony is ridiculously small couldn't sit facing out as knees hit the balcony.

Any pics of the Serenity area? I'm not talking about the "official" photos. I've seen them.

I want to see photos of the area in use. You know, real people (not models) out there. Do people drag the chairs all over like they do around the pool? Are some of the chairs in the shade and some in the sun? Lots of umbrellas or just a couple?

Can you tell I'm starting to get really excited about my cruise? :p

All4fun&Fun4All... If you can swing it, I'm all for it! I've got another question that needs answering, and apparently, several people have wondered. How does the VIP embarkation work at the Charleston terminal? No one seems to know. There is a thread on that very issue, so when you come back, please let us know in that thread what the deal is. Also, rumor has it the terminal has been upgraded this year and people are interested in knowing what the upgrades are. You don't leave a car at the terminal, do you? We don't. We take a cab or have the neighbors drop us off.

Edited by AUS-SEA

I had originally planned on driving down the morning of sailing and parking at the terminal, but since I actually landed a job and don't have to be quite as cost-conscious, I decided to just drive down on Saturday and stay at one of the hotels with a cruise package. The cost is only a few dollars more than the parking would be, and includes transportation both to and from the pier.

There isn't much info about Charleston, because Carnival hasn't sailed from there regularly - in fact, I don't think they even had VIP checkin when they just had a few sailings each year. When I asked my PVP why my luggage tags didn't show VIP on them, he checked with someone and said that they didn't have that in the system yet, although he assured me that there WOULD be VIP checkin when I arrived. I just looked at my docs the other day, and they now show VIP.

When I return, I'll write my usual photo-filled, detailed review and I'll post a link to it here. I'll let you know how the embarkation goes.

I thought I saw a thread that had a link to recent pics and now I can't find it. :o

Still looking for "real" photos of the Serenity area.

Thank you. That shows that there is quite a bit of overhang from the Lido deck, but not as many umbrellas as I was expecting.

Main pool area looks so nice! Too bad I hate hanging around there. Just too many people and I find that the pool bands tend to make me feel like my ears are going to bleed (why can't they hire people who can actually sing?).

You must have been on board very early as there are almost no people in the photos. You had a suite, so assume you had VIP boarding and were first on.

Thanks for the link.

Thank you so much for the information in this thread! We are about to book a cruise out of Charleston, and the Fantasy is the frontrunner. We will be sailing with our two boys (ages 10 & 14), and are looking at a 4A category cabin.

Any other advice, information?

I know that Carnival's FAQ says that there are no hair dryers on the Fantasy-class ships, and I have always taken one when I sail them in the past.

Well, I can't find it now, but I swear I read somewhere that they now have hair dryers in all the cabins.

Can anyone who has sailed recently confirm whether this is true (or not)?

I'm really going to try to pack as light as possible, and don't want to drag a hair dryer with me only to discover that there is one in the cabin after all!

Well, shoot! I wish I could remember where I saw that. It was on a website (not Carnival's).

Did you sail her recently? I have sigs turned off, just in case it's in there.

I'd hate to pack one and find out there is one and I'd hate to not pack one and find out there isn't one! Maybe I'll find a Roll Call for an upcoming cruise and ask someone to please let me know when they return. Not that I don't believe you! As I said, there haven't been any on any of my 4 previous Fantasy-class sailings, but none of those have been since recent refurbishments.