All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

I remember when we sailed NCL's Majesty out of Charleston several years ago..it was a pretty steep walk up different ramps to get on the ship..wondering if the Fantasy set up will be the same..

Once in San Diego when I sailed the Elation they boarded on the Riveria Deck and we just walked up to the Empress Deck, they also don't have a true cruise terminal especially when you are the second ship i port.

I remember when we sailed NCL's Majesty out of Charleston several years ago..it was a pretty steep walk up different ramps to get on the ship..wondering if the Fantasy set up will be the same..

Once in San Diego when I sailed the Elation they boarded on the Riveria Deck and we just walked up to the Empress Deck, they also don't have a true cruise terminal especially when you are the second ship i port.

Guess it depends which deck the are doing embarkation on if it will be the usual steep ramp set up.

I am not out of shap and I was tired when I got the the top with dragging my carry on behind me. I like the cruise terminals that have a waiting area after checking in that is upstairs and then an easy walk on.

Edited by scchasgal

My review with pictures is in my signature. We had a wonderful cruise on her last November although everything that could went wrong.

We had the worst cabin ever! Can't remember the number right now...but if you are a couple who wants to sleep together do NOT get a sideways cabin right behind the elevator. :eek:

I always bring my own magnifying mirror (also had lasik surgery...best thing ever) I like to do my make up at the desk instead of the bathroom and they have taken out the lights on the sides of the mirror so it was very dark.

Bathroom amentites about the same as on any ship.

The Fantasy was our 1st so we love her and always will.

Oh I'm very cold natured and did not need my sweater in the dining room or theater.

Guess it depends which deck the are doing embarkation on if it will be the usual steep ramp set up.

I am not out of shap and I was tired when I got the the top with dragging my carry on behind me. I like the cruise terminals that have a waiting area after checking in that is upstairs and then an easy walk on.

The really nice, custom gangways aren't cheap. Mobile paid $2.6 million for a custom made, glass enclosed, articulating gangway from a company in Spain. The original one was glass enclosed as well, but only fit the Holiday. When Fantasy came to town Carnival required them to have one made that will fit any ship. Carnival also required them to build a crew lounge with phone and wifi and a 1900 sf warehouse for Carnival use at the pier. No telling what Charleston has been, and will be required to do to get and keep a ship.

The really nice, custom gangways aren't cheap. Mobile paid $2.6 million for a custom made, glass enclosed, articulating gangway from a company in Spain. The original one was glass enclosed as well, but only fit the Holiday. When Fantasy came to town Carnival required them to have one made that will fit any ship. Carnival also required them to build a crew lounge with phone and wifi and a 1900 sf warehouse for Carnival use at the pier. No telling what Charleston has been, and will be required to do to get and keep a ship.

Did you see my link to the union pier cruise terminal website? I think that will give you the answer of what Charleston had to do to get Carnival home ported here.

Did you see my link to the union pier cruise terminal website? I think that will give you the answer of what Charleston had to do to get Carnival home ported here.

http://shipmobile.com/photos.php

I don't know if you've ever sailed from Mobile, but these are photos of the terminal in Mobile. It still has the original gangway that was replaced by a new one, in these photos. It also has an attached parking garage. NOLA's new terminal is modeled after this one, but is larger.

Well, I'll have my 1 bottle of wine, but I don't do bottled water or soft drinks.

When we embarked Fascination in Jax, we came in on the same deck that you disembark in port - deck 1 or 0, whichever that is. I've sailed enough that entering into the lobby/atrium is no big deal, but would prefer to NOT have to stand and wait for an elevator.

These plans have not been completed, though, correct? So those of us sailing from Charleston soon will just have to deal with how they've been handling the people and ships for a while.

poptart - thanks for that info! I'll have to remember to bring my magnifying mirror. I got a great stick-on one once and, of course, the very first trip I took, I left it stuck on the hotel bathroom mirror. :o

I'll be thrilled if the temp in the public areas are sub-arctic!

we're booked in a CAT 4B (R129)...can anyone share a general layout of the room. it will be my DH, DS (4 y/o) sharing. obviously, the twin beds will be joined together, but i was curious what is used for the 3d person.

we're booked in a CAT 4B (R129)...can anyone share a general layout of the room. it will be my DH, DS (4 y/o) sharing. obviously, the twin beds will be joined together, but i was curious what is used for the 3d person.

Since there are not any sofa's in cabins on the Fantasy (unless in a suite) you will have a pullman.

I was in the room near you on my last cruise. 3 of us as well. We had the two twins at the bottom and only one of the bunks was pulled down. They will put the beds together with you if you like.

Since there are not any sofa's in cabins on the Fantasy (unless in a suite) you will have a pullman.

I was in the room near you on my last cruise. 3 of us as well. We had the two twins at the bottom and only one of the bunks was pulled down. They will put the beds together with you if you like.

thank you! :) this has been very helpful. i've looked at the "blueprints" online and i wasn't exactly getting a warm fuzzy. don't get me wrong, i love my DS, BUT he's an "octopus" in the bed (if he manages to finagle his way into our room at night) LOL :eek:

FYI - according to Carnival - there aren't hairdryers in any rooms, including suites. We're booked in a GS which is more in line with the standard suites from other classes. The regular suites on Fantasy are in comparison to a standard balcony in other classes. I'm only posting this info based on what my PVP told me when I booked.

Looking forward to reviews on the port after someone sails out of Charleston on the Fantasy.

Did I read right on here though, the Charleston port requires a significant "uphill" tread to get on the ship?

I had a GS on my cruise a week ago. There was a hairdryer on the bathroom wall. But i had packed my own and just used it. So i cannot tell you how good it was. Now that i look back wish i had so that i would know how well it did for future reference.

I had a GS on my cruise a week ago. There was a hairdryer on the bathroom wall. But i had packed my own and just used it. So i cannot tell you how good it was. Now that i look back wish i had so that i would know how well it did for future reference.

That's good to know from someone who knows. Thank you! I often wonder how out dated the material is that the customer reps and PVP's use. They have a lot to keep track of...

From what I've read on the East Coast Departures board, there is no VIP anything until you've gone through security. Not a big deal, I suppose, but after I "worked" so hard to get to Platinum, it would be nice to NOT have to stand in that line to get through security. I'm guessing that all VIP gets at embarkation is a separate desk to check in.

I'll be able to let you know by the end of the month. :D

Thanks NCtribefan. My exact feeling about after spending so much to attain platinum status. Would be nice to not have to stand in line but we are still goin to be cruisin!!!!!!!!

I look forward to hearing your experiences the end of the month

dave

Thanks for all the good info on Fantasy. I'm also waiting to hear back about the port in Charleston. We sail July 2nd 2010 from Charleston - not excited about the port but we are ecstatic about the short drive and the cruise.

BTW - we have a slow-moving Roll Call for Fantasy July 2nd sailing if anyone is sailing that date and not added your name to the roll!

Did I read right on here though, the Charleston port requires a significant "uphill" tread to get on the ship?

While I haven't been to the cruise terminal proper, there isn't anywhere in downtown Charleston with a "significant" uphill walk.

That's true.

I believe they were just talking about dragging bottle-laden roll-ons up the gangway!

I'm sure that once they have this nice, new terminal ready to go that they'll treat the VIP guests as the Very Important People that we all believe ourselves to be! :p

But, for now, I'll do whatever it takes to get on the ship.

Must add magnifying mirror AND hair dryer to my packing list!

While I haven't been to the cruise terminal proper, there isn't anywhere in downtown Charleston with a "significant" uphill walk.

Charleston is about as flat as you can get. The gangway is the uphill climb.

Thanks for all the good info on Fantasy. I'm also waiting to hear back about the port in Charleston. We sail July 2nd 2010 from Charleston - not excited about the port but we are ecstatic about the short drive and the cruise.

BTW - we have a slow-moving Roll Call for Fantasy July 2nd sailing if anyone is sailing that date and not added your name to the roll!

What kind of info are you looking for about the Port of Charleston? I live here and have cruised out of here many times.

Everyone is right..it's the gangway that's a hike!! Any hotel recommendations would be welcome..we have friends cruising 5-30 and think they are staying at the airport Radisson...package includes parking for the cruise. Will see what they say about that property when they get back. No decisions made for us yet....but we will be coming in 2 days pre-cruise:) Haven't been to Charleston in a long long time...so want to do a little sightseeing and eat some yummy food :D

There are some threads on the East Coast Departures board about stay & cruise packages. That is also where I was reading about the process for being shuttled to the terminal. And that there's no VIP line until you go through security.

Several of us on our Roll Call are staying at the Hawthorne Suites. Very reasonable rates, free parking, breakfast, and shuttles to and from the pier. Sure, would rather be downtown, but not within my budget.

If I weren't returning on Memorial Day weekend, I would've found something over on Patriots Point and stayed the night we return (so I could go to Isle of Palms), but I'm not going to get near the beach on a holiday weekend.

Not after enjoying the fabulous beach at Half Moon Cay and a week on a ship with about 2,500 other people! :p

Oh, and in one of the threads there, I asked for recommendations on where to get good Shrimp & Grits. I also pasted that in our Roll Call thread, if anyone wants to find it.

Was hoping someone on the 5/3 sailing would have a review posted by now, but I haven't seen anything.

I just love looking at ship photos. And food pics!

I will check out your roll call..and I think I posted some Fantasy pics on our roll call of 9-11.

Totally understand about staying downtown..would love to but only if we can get a decent price..we are a small group going and our TA is one of us..so shortly hopefully she will be looking for some deals for us.

Our group (19 of us) are staying at the Hampton Inn in North Charleston. It's the one located on Fernwood Drive, if anyone wants to look it up on their website. We have a free breakfast, plus the Park & Cruise deal included, with shuttle service.