All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Our group (19 of us) are staying at the Hampton Inn in North Charleston. It's the one located on Fernwood Drive, if anyone wants to look it up on their website. We have a free breakfast, plus the Park & Cruise deal included, with shuttle service.

Very nice place! Our sons live in Charleston and we have been there many times. You will love it!

What kind of info are you looking for about the Port of Charleston? I live here and have cruised out of here many times.

Oh we are just looking for information about the port itself. The ins and outs of getting to the port for example. Parking too. I know a lot of CC folks say they are doing the hotel packages to avoid parking at the terminal. But we're just in Columbia SC so getting a hotel in lieu of an hour-and-half drive seems a bit overkill (for our budget, anyway). Also, we have an autism spectrum 7 yr old and lord knows how they love to wait in long lines in the July heat in South Carolina :rolleyes: But the word on the CC board is no one is entitled to preferential treatment at the Charleston port.

Oooh one more thing - anyone know if Fantasy now has ship-wide WiFi internet? or just the hot spots/Internet Cafe option? The Carnival website was confusing on this point.

Thanks for any and all your help!

Edited by Camdenscott4
Forgot a question

I do imagine that will all change once they relocate to a new/different terminal.

But, yes, from what I've read, everyone waits for the shuttles and everyone waits to get through security. THEN, if you have VIP status, you go to a separate check-in line/desk.

Would love for someone to confirm that.

In one of the threads on the East Coast board, someone posted a photo they had taken of the drop-off area and marked it showing the traffic flow.

My interpretation: If you are being dropped off (either by car or a hotel shuttle), your bags are dropped with the porters in one place, then the people are dropped off in another place. They then must wait in an area that only has two little canopy tops and a few chairs for the shuttle to the terminal itself.

If you are parking, your bags are taken there, and you are shuttled directly to the terminal.

That's how I read it all, at least. I could be way off, but it is all pretty confusing and somewhat different from any other port.

Oh, and don't bother to go early. Sounds like they practically empty the parking garage before they start letting new cars in. Someone said they sat in line just to get in the garage for a couple of hours.

And you can't have someone drop you off first while they go park the car. There is no walk-up to the terminal. If you're dropped off, it will be where the canopy is, which accomplishes nothing.

Unfortunately, I'm on the 2nd sailing from Charleston, so the 1st folks won't have posted anything before I'm already sitting at the terminal (unless someone comes here and posts from onboard to let us know what embarkation was like). Maybe I'll find their Roll Call and see if someone will do that for us.

I do imagine that will all change once they relocate to a new/different terminal.

The new terminal will be out of the way of the Market Street downtown core where it currently resides.

But, yes, from what I've read, everyone waits for the shuttles and everyone waits to get through security. THEN, if you have VIP status, you go to a separate check-in line/desk.

There is no driving directly up to the terminal the port cops will stop you from going in. There is two lines for security but no priority. Once you are past the xray part then there will be a separate line for VIP and platinum.

Would love for someone to confirm that.

In one of the threads on the East Coast board, someone posted a photo they had taken of the drop-off area and marked it showing the traffic flow.

My interpretation: If you are being dropped off (either by car or a hotel shuttle), your bags are dropped with the porters in one place, then the people are dropped off in another place. They then must wait in an area that only has two little canopy tops and a few chairs for the shuttle to the terminal itself.

You get in a double line into heading into the luggage drop off area. These are tented and there are four lines take the next one then once you drop your luggage off you then head to the parking garage (if parking there) We have never parked we just get friends to drop us off. We get out of their car at the luggage tents and walk about 20 feet to an opening where a Carnival rep will be checking your documents.

The shuttle runs continuously as there is more than one. The are the small mini bus types that hold maybe 15 people plus carry on luggage.

If you are parking, your bags are taken there, and you are shuttled directly to the terminal.

That's how I read it all, at least. I could be way off, but it is all pretty confusing and somewhat different from any other port.

It actually runs pretty smoothly once you get rid of your luggage and vehicle. The shuttle takes you over to the front door of the terminal drops you and your carry on off and you get in one of the two lines for security. Warning they are very strict at this port. We had a six pack of green tea in plastic bottles and then opened them and gave them the sniff test to see if alcohol.

After security we had to complete the quicky medical questionnaire and then in the lines (applicable one) and they ran pretty quickly. There are multiple agent counters.

Get your embarkation photo taken in the terminal then HIKE up the gangway to board the ship

Oh, and don't bother to go early. Sounds like they practically empty the parking garage before they start letting new cars in. Someone said they sat in line just to get in the garage for a couple of hours.

And you can't have someone drop you off first while they go park the car. There is no walk-up to the terminal. If you're dropped off, it will be where the canopy is, which accomplishes nothing.

Unfortunately, I'm on the 2nd sailing from Charleston, so the 1st folks won't have posted anything before I'm already sitting at the terminal (unless someone comes here and posts from onboard to let us know what embarkation was like). Maybe I'll find their Roll Call and see if someone will do that for us.

See red above

OK, I think I get it. ;)

Only plan on taking on my 1 bottle of wine and maybe only a couple of cans of soda. I absolutely refuse to haul bottles unnecessarily. I drink the ship's water (with lots of ice) and only drink a cola or ginger ale if my motion sickness meds haven't kicked in yet!

Thanks for the clarifications.

mistory - why are you worried about having a huge suitcase? You'll be dropping it off before you check in. It's the gangway onto the ship that people are talking about being a steep incline.

At least I think so! I could still be confused.

Oh, don't worry about getting a review. Since I found CC, I write long, detailed, in-depth reviews with lots of photos.

happy cruiser - go to Carnival's FAQ section. They tell you the sizes of carryons that are allowed. You can't haul a really big case onboard because it has to go through the scanner. They're like at an airport. Something huge won't fit and has to be checked. Other than that, you can carry on as much as you can, uh, carry.

I'm on a 7-day so will need to check a bag. Plus, I'm sailing solo so my DD won't get be around to carry Mom's heavy tote bag. :p

Going to try to get by with my medium size case to check, a small roll-on to carry on, plus my tote bag that goes ashore with me, that I hope to keep as empty as possible.

Bear in mind that your cabin may not be ready when you board. It's a pain having to drag anything at all around the ship when you're trying to go through the buffet line and explore the ship!

Oooh one more thing - anyone know if Fantasy now has ship-wide WiFi internet? or just the hot spots/Internet Cafe option? The Carnival website was confusing on this point.

I think my earlier question about internet options on Fantasy was overlooked - does anyone have any info on that?

Thanks!

This makes it sound like they have bow-to-stern wi-fi...

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Carnival/fleet/fantasy/FantasyFactSheet.htm

Renovations completed during drydock: 9/06/08-10/03/08

• "Circle C" Young Teens club added to Sun Deck 12 featuring a high-tech sound and lighting system, plasma-screen TVs displaying movies and music videos, a touch-screen jukebox, and gaming pods with the latest video games and consoles.
  • "Evolutions of Fun": WaterWorks Aqua Park, Serenity Adults-Only Retreat Area and a Resort-Style Pool Area.
  • A variety of cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting, wall coverings and tile work throughout the ship, including: Diningrooms, Dance Club, Shops, Lido Restaurant and Corridors.
  • Flat-screen TV's were added to all staterooms.
  • Suites were refurbished, including bathrooms.
  • 50 sets of connecting staterooms.
  • The Internet Cafe was relocated to Empress Deck 7 midship and Wi-FI access, bow to stern.
  • Added to the Lido Restaurant: Mongolian Wok and Rotisserie

I had asked that if anyone on this first sailing out of Charleston was going to be online that they come here and let us know what embarkation was like.

I guess I'll just have to find out for myself on Sunday. ;)

Just off the Fantasy 7 day final sailing from Mobile...

I was in room R108 and had decent wifi in the room. It wasn't a great signal, but it worked well enough to keep me from having to take the laptop elsewhere to use it.

NCTribeFan - I was under the impression that Fantasy started sailing from Charleston tomorrow (May 18th). I could be wrong though.

This was in an email from the Port - "Carnival Cruise Lines will launch year-round cruising from the Port of Charleston on Tuesday, May 18, with the inaugural embarkation of the Carnival Fantasy."

Yep. Forgot that the 1st sailing isn't a 7-night, like mine is. And I realized that as soon as I had posted, but figured someone would be kind enough to point it out to me. :o

But, but, I want info NOW!!!

Now I'm starting to obsess about the weather.

Maybe I should just finish my packing list and laundry and try to relax a little. ;)

Yep. Forgot that the 1st sailing isn't a 7-night, like mine is. And I realized that as soon as I had posted, but figured someone would be kind enough to point it out to me. :o

But, but, I want info NOW!!!

Now I'm starting to obsess about the weather.

Maybe I should just finish my packing list and laundry and try to relax a little. ;)

ha ha...just relax :) we leave on 6/11 and I'm daydreaming so much about our cruise that I'm already on vacation :)

I work in downtown Charleston and frequently go to Waterfront Park at lunch which is right by the cruise terminal. Since tomorrow is the inagural sailing I plan to go down just to check things out. Will pay close attention to the boarding procedures and the incline of the gangway. Everthing that I have read on this thread appears to be acurate though. All vehicles have to get into a long single file line to unload under a couple of tents and then shuttle to the terminal. And as best as i can remember the gangway is a pretty steep angle. Will post more details tomorrow.

I work in downtown Charleston and frequently go to Waterfront Park at lunch which is right by the cruise terminal. Since tomorrow is the inagural sailing I plan to go down just to check things out. Will pay close attention to the boarding procedures and the incline of the gangway. Everthing that I have read on this thread appears to be acurate though. All vehicles have to get into a long single file line to unload under a couple of tents and then shuttle to the terminal. And as best as i can remember the gangway is a pretty steep angle. Will post more details tomorrow.

can you post pix, if possible? :)

Thanks! I used to work on East Bay Street which made it convenient to peek at the cruise ships. A little harder now that I am in Mt. Pleasant. Boo! I was hoping to see her in port today. Show up early or something. Oh well. Tomorrow it is! Where is she now??

I think my earlier question about internet options on Fantasy was overlooked - does anyone have any info on that?

Thanks!

I was on the Empress deck and had perfect wi-fi in my stateroom. In fact, it was faster there than in the hotel we stayed at before we cruised. However, I imagine I was on the same deck as the wi-fi signal, so I am not really sure how it is on the lower decks.