Contemplating a Cunard cruise

bermuda triangle

Hello,

I am contemplating a Cunard cruise this fall on the QM2. Can anyone tell me why you like Cunard and/or explain the dining. I know depending on your cabin category there are different restaurants which you are assigned to. What are the differences between the dining rooms/menus and what cabin cat. is acts as the dividing line?

Thank you,

Laura

Laura, there are four dining categories. Queen and Princess Grills, Britannia Club and the Britannia restaurant. The booking categories are Q and P for Queen and Princess, AA for Britannia Club and A to D for all others.

The Grills and Club are single seating restaurant. You are assigned the same table for all meals. You can eat at your leisure (within the opening hours which are generous) In the Britannia, its open seating for breakfast and lunch. There are two sittings for dinner, early and late. early is about 6, late is about 8. In addition to these venues, there are others: Todd English's restaurant (Supplement cost $20 Lunch, $30 dinner,) There is the Kings Court, Buffet for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner ( but sections become theme restaurants -English Carvery, Asian, Italian and A chefs area where you watch your meal being prepared. These are included in your fare, but reservations are required.

There is also the Pub for English pub food and Sir Samuels for breakfast pastries, and lunch sandwiches.)

The food at all of these venues is excellent and as you go up the cost ladder, the offerings become wider in variety up to an Ala Carte menu in the Queens Grill. You can look at sample menus on the cunard website, click our ships, QM2, Dining.

In addition to the food. There are other things to occupy mind and body, The Spa a charged service, The gym, which is free, a pool with a weather roof. There are lectures, movies and a planetarium show in Illuminations, There are musical events in the theatre. There is a library with neary 10,000 volumes. If you like to play at chance a nice casio, now non smoking.

QM2 is also an Atlantic Liner, big, smooth, fast and a wonderful way to travel.

As to what I like, pretty much all of it. I am getting ready to do my nineth and tenth sailing on QM2. I hope you will give it a chance.

Best Mike

As far as the cabin categories go, I honestly believe that you should look at prices/amenities available in each and go for what you want/can afford.

I've stayed in all four levels and can honestly say that, whichever you are in, it doesn't impinge upon your experience - 99% of the public spaces on the ship are open to all, and I've never been in Brittannia thinking 'I wonder what the Queen's Grill passengers are doing/eating tonight'!

What I like about Cunard? The traditional feel of old-style liners. I love the atmosphere, the live music everywhere in nearly all the bars, the proper library, the lovely Commodore Club (not to mention their fabulous martinis!). And as a solo traveller (usually), I prefer the fixed dining and large tables in the Britannia Restaurant.

Oh - the acres of open teak decking on QM2 - wonderful!!

There are many excellent reviews of the QM2. This is two of my favorites:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Both Penny and Pepper are able to write in such a way that you feel you are sailing with them. Enjoy!

Beth,

thank you for mentioning my review again, you are very kind, I look forward to sailing with you both again one day.

Very best wishes,

I've stayed in all four levels and can honestly say that, whichever you are in, it doesn't impinge upon your experience - 99% of the public spaces on the ship are open to all, and I've never been in Brittannia thinking 'I wonder what the Queen's Grill passengers are doing/eating tonight'!

I agree - I sincerely believe that if, by chance, you booked a Cunard cruise without being aware of the existence of the Grills, it would be perfectly possible to go through the entire cruise and disembark without ever realising that they did exist. On QV they are particularly well concealed. I have cruised twice on QV now and still couldn't tell anyone how to locate the Queens Grill restaurant.

J

Laura, there are four dining categories. Queen and Princess Grills, Britannia Club and the Britannia restaurant. The booking categories are Q and P for Queen and Princess, AA for Britannia Club and A to D for all others.

The Grills and Club are single seating restaurant. You are assigned the same table for all meals. You can eat at your leisure (within the opening hours which are generous) In the Britannia, its open seating for breakfast and lunch. There are two sittings for dinner, early and late. early is about 6, late is about 8. In addition to these venues, there are others: Todd English's restaurant (Supplement cost $20 Lunch, $30 dinner,) There is the Kings Court, Buffet for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner ( but sections become theme restaurants -English Carvery, Asian, Italian and A chefs area where you watch your meal being prepared. These are included in your fare, but reservations are required.

There is also the Pub for English pub food and Sir Samuels for breakfast pastries, and lunch sandwiches.)

The food at all of these venues is excellent and as you go up the cost ladder, the offerings become wider in variety up to an Ala Carte menu in the Queens Grill. You can look at sample menus on the cunard website, click our ships, QM2, Dining.

In addition to the food. There are other things to occupy mind and body, The Spa a charged service, The gym, which is free, a pool with a weather roof. There are lectures, movies and a planetarium show in Illuminations, There are musical events in the theatre. There is a library with neary 10,000 volumes. If you like to play at chance a nice casio, now non smoking.

QM2 is also an Atlantic Liner, big, smooth, fast and a wonderful way to travel.

As to what I like, pretty much all of it. I am getting ready to do my nineth and tenth sailing on QM2. I hope you will give it a chance.

Best Mike

Very well summed up, we have are about we are about to take our eight voyage on her,with 4 more planed.

what i like best. steamer chairs and looking out to sea and nodding as it is so relaxing

I tend to agree with all the above posters. As far as cabin category goes, passengers in all grades get a wonderful experience. I suggest to friends that for a TA, when you'll be spending so much time on the ship, that they base their dinning room choice simply on what they feel they can afford. If PG or QG are within your price range, the various upgrades (from cabin size to extra ammenities to dining experience) are well worth the extra cost, particularly if you choose a sailing with good fares -- hunt around aclittle, there are bargains out there. If you price range indicates choosing a Brittania category, it will be just as wonderful experience. However, with Britania category choices ranging widely, from balcony to in-hull balcony to no balcony to inside, the OP may want to search and read the many posts here where individual preferences are discussed in depth. In this case it's not just cost -- many prefer an in-hull balcony, many do not and lots of people make a very strong case for the inside. So, go for the best overall grade you can afford, and then choose your actual cabin category and location based on your personal priorities.

BigMike 911 explained the dining very well, I always have an inside cabin (I travel solo so a balcony is not for me). Unless you actually discuss cabins or dining you are not aware of any obvious difference around the ship. I spend very little time in my cabin. I love the library, the lectures, browse the shops (but stay away from the tacky tablesales)go to a show if I have not already seen it .Listen to the music whichever public bar I may be in.

I eat in the main diningroom, for dinner, sometimes for breakfast , Sir Samuels,and the Pub sometimes for lunch. For dinner I ask for a large table as I wish for companions. (yes sometimes it is good sometimes not so good, but that is true whichever line you choose).

I wish you a fabulous cruise.

Lynn

Thank you for your responses. The dining was well explained, thank you for that. I have missed the old ship feeling esp. live music. I have been researching cabins/pricing, hence I had the dining question.

Laura

May I ask wwhen you plan to go in the Fall? If it any help we alway take an inside cabin on deck, nice and cosy

May I ask wwhen you plan to go in the Fall? If it any help we alway take an inside cabin on deck, nice and cosy

We were looking at the November cruises r/t from NYC. (I know hurricane season--but so much easier than flying with my (soon to be 90 yr old GM) I'm not worried about the weather) .

One of the main reasons I was asking about the dining is that on the cruise we are going on in May (on HAL) my parents and GM are in a suite and my hubby and I are not. If we had a similar set up on Cunard, we would wind up in different dining rooms. My mom appreciates a larger cabin because it is easier for my grandmother to maneuver.

I've not been in an inside cabin-either we've had a window or a balcony. So we are still contemplating if this is going to work for us or not.

Laura

One possible compromise, especially if you might be claustrophobic. Category D1 on QM2 is inside Atrium view, so you have some view outside your cabin and it's not quite as confining.

Having been inside these cabins, I personally would not be keen. You still have to have lights on most of the time and in that case the similar cabins opposite you can see in so you end up with the curtains closed much of the time, in which case IMO you may as well just have the cheaper inside cabin in the first place.

We were looking at the November cruises r/t from NYC. (I know hurricane season--but so much easier than flying with my (soon to be 90 yr old GM) I'm not worried about the weather) .

One of the main reasons I was asking about the dining is that on the cruise we are going on in May (on HAL) my parents and GM are in a suite and my hubby and I are not. If we had a similar set up on Cunard, we would wind up in different dining rooms. My mom appreciates a larger cabin because it is easier for my grandmother to maneuver.

I've not been in an inside cabin-either we've had a window or a balcony. So we are still contemplating if this is going to work for us or not.

Laura

We will wave to you then, we are the NYC to Soton,

Having been inside these cabins, I personally would not be keen. You still have to have lights on most of the time and in that case the similar cabins opposite you can see in so you end up with the curtains closed much of the time, in which case IMO you may as well just have the cheaper inside cabin in the first place.

Your right, You can see from the lift from the grand lobby as well,

Archived