Two Ships to Sail out of Tampa for winter 2010-2011

While I recognize that 4 or 5 night cruises are popular with the locals, if we are going to fly in from New Hampsha we would much rather have a 7 or 8 day cruise. We have enjoyed flying into Tampa in the past, but a short cruise won't cut it for us. The same situation applies to New Orleans.

You might want to consider doing back to back cruises or including a stay in the Tampa or Orlando areas as part of your cruise vacation package. Busch Gardens in Tampa, WDW or Universal in Orlando are close enough and offer plenty to supplement your 4 or 5 night cruise and justify the cost of your flights. Southwest and Jet Blue and even USAirways frequently offer extremely good fares between NH and a number of Florida cities.:)

You might want to consider doing back to back cruises or including a stay in the Tampa or Orlando areas as part of your cruise vacation package. Busch Gardens in Tampa, WDW or Universal in Orlando are close enough and offer plenty to supplement your 4 or 5 night cruise and justify the cost of your flights. Southwest and Jet Blue and even USAirways frequently offer extremely good fares between NH and a number of Florida cities.:)

We always fly Southwest and we did the Florida attractions numerous times when our daughters (now 28 and 30) were young. In a few more years it will be time to take the grandchildren to see the "rodent.":D

That's what we are doing next February vacation. We will spend 4 or 5 days in Disney, then we are sailing on the Radiance to Cozumel (can't wait...cruised about 15 years ago, before kids, this will be their first cruise!!).

One of the easiest places to ever cruise out of, good parking around and a nice area to hang around before or after the cruise (Channelside). I live a very short distance from the port.
We're excited about having the Radiance in Tampa for next winter and Jewel for the winter after as we get another option for an easy drive to port. And I've seen many reports of how easy the port itself is to cruise out of (parking, hotels, check-in).

You have couple of choices

1. Hilton Garden Inn Ybor offers Park and Cruise packages. It will run ~$125 or more for 1 night stay, free parking and shuttle to the port. Ybor city is a fun area full of restaurants and nightlife.

2. or you can Priceline a downtown 3.5* or higher hotel for ~$60-70 ($75-85 total after taxes and fees), park in a city parking lot @$9 per night and you are only about .5 or little more mile away from the port. Most of the hotels do not run a shuttle to the port, but taxi will cost $5, minimum charge. Most of the higher end hotels in downtown are on the historic streetcar route which will take you to Ybor City and back for couple of bucks. The possible hotels are the Westin, Hyatt, Marriott, etc....

Only you can make the decision which is a better deal.....

Thanks for the info. What do you know about the Embassy Suites near the port?

Thanks for the info. What do you know about the Embassy Suites near the port?

Never stayed at the place so I can't say anything about this particular place, but having stayed at many different Embassy Suites Hotels I would like to believe that it's very much up to higher standards.

Embassy Suites is also on the list of Priceline hotels in that area. It is close to the port, it is also on the streetcar route.

Never stayed at the place so I can't say anything about this particular place, but having stayed at many different Embassy Suites Hotels I would like to believe that it's very much up to higher standards.

Embassy Suites is also on the list of Priceline hotels in that area. It is close to the port, it is also on the streetcar route.

We've stayed at many Embassy Suites also so they are probably good.

What is the streetcar route?

While I recognize that 4 or 5 night cruises are popular with the locals, if we are going to fly in from New Hampsha we would much rather have a 7 or 8 day cruise. We have enjoyed flying into Tampa in the past, but a short cruise won't cut it for us. The same situation applies to New Orleans.

Well depending on when you fly in, HAL has 7 day cruises around the same time the Radiance is here, maybe you can do a B2B (HAL and Radiance). The only other year round 7 day cruise is the Carnival Legend and many of my friends like that ship.

Yes there is a nice Embassy Suites and a Marriott very close to the port.

Well depending on when you fly in, HAL has 7 day cruises around the same time the Radiance is here, maybe you can do a B2B (HAL and Radiance). The only other year round 7 day cruise is the Carnival Legend and many of my friends like that ship.

Yes there is a nice Embassy Suites and a Marriott very close to the port.

Also, the beaches around Tampa are wonderful. We rented a condo for a week down there and just loved it. We would consider a short cruise then staying a few days at the beaches.

Archived