Cruise Around Australia?

cruisycarol

We are thinking about taking a cruise around Australia but it seems only the Dawn Princess has that option to do the full circle? Has anyone done this cruise and how was it? In the States we've always gone with Carnival so I don't know much about Princess.

If we end up doing just half, should we go around the top or around the bottom? A lot of the places like Albany and Bunbury I can't find out much about, are they worth going to? What can you do there?

Also we prefer to do our own thing in port and book local tours, has anyone got any recommendations on tour companies - I found some websites where you can book your own shore excursions, mctours new zealand and Shoretours.com.au - has anyone used either of these before and are they any good?

Also we really want to see the koala bears and kangaroos where is teh best place to do that?

Wow, lots of questions, thanks for anyone that can help out with this!

We are thinking about taking a cruise around Australia but it seems only the Dawn Princess has that option to do the full circle? Has anyone done this cruise and how was it? In the States we've always gone with Carnival so I don't know much about Princess.

If we end up doing just half, should we go around the top or around the bottom? A lot of the places like Albany and Bunbury I can't find out much about, are they worth going to? What can you do there?

Also we prefer to do our own thing in port and book local tours, has anyone got any recommendations on tour companies - I found some websites where you can book your own shore excursions, mctours new zealand and Shoretours.com.au - has anyone used either of these before and are they any good?

Also we really want to see the koala bears and kangaroos where is teh best place to do that?

Kia ora,

You could look at RCL and Holland America also. I haven't cruised around Aus but if I didn't go right round I would opt for the 'top half', Eg. Sydney to Perth via Brisbane, Darwin etc.

Aquarians

The Queen Mary 2 is to cruise around Australia in Feb 2012. They are taking names on a waiting list.

Also keep an eye out in the upcoming months as there is many more ships coming to Australia in the next few years.

It may even pay you to look at the P&O Australia board which is a great source of information for Australia and New Zealand.

Rhapsody of the seas will also do a circumnavigation, as will HAL Volendam and Silversea Shadow so there are a few choices, but it also depends when and how long.

Albany and Bunbury are nice sea ports, though with a different flavour. It depends why you're going as to what you'll get it out of it, but with any longer cruise you'll have a mix of large and small ports.

If you were only choosing half, I'd favour the bottom half but it also depends on preference. The top end is the hot end, as against the south, but that may be preferable in Winter and conversely the south in Summer if you just want sea/deck temperatures.

As for wildlife, they're most easily accessible on a cruise by going to a nature park or zoo in one of the ports you visit. If you want to see them natively, it will take some time away (not in a coastal city) and is preferable at dusk so also not well suited to when you need to be on board a ship.

I can answer a couple of your questions.

We've been on Princess several times and think the line is terrific. We've been on the Dawn Princess twice and it is a great ship; a nice size, and lots of nice public rooms to have a drink or just sit and visit with other passengers or read a book, etc.

We've been to both South Australia (Adelaide, Kangaroo Island, Victor Harbor) and New South Wales (Sydney, the Blue Mountains, and down the coast to Bateman's Bay and back). Adelaide would be your best bet for seeing koalas and kangaroos on an excursion at Cleland Wildlife Park. We've visited many of the wildlife parks in our travels in Australia and Cleland was top-notch and the largest of the parks we visited. At Cleland, you can actually hold (cuddle) a koala and have your photo taken with it (for a fee). Of course, your options in Sydney are myriad and will be hard to narrow down. If your cruise begins there, you may want to fly in a day or two early and do some sightseeing there first, including a trip to the Blue Mountains.

JMO, of course.

Great, thanks for your suggestions. Dawn Princess sounds like it might be the winner then. And thanks for the tip on the wildlife parks we were trying to decide which one was the best as we kept hearing different ones. We also heard of featherdale has anyone been there? If we do the park in Adelaid will we have time to go to Kangaroo island though?

When you cruised Australia did you book your own tours or did you go with the ship? We normally book our own but it is sooooo hard to decide and not sure which ones are reliable or good quality - we wanted to do the Blue Mountains and there are about 15 different companies. Any recommendations would be appreciated - We like to try and find a few other couples on teh ship and join up and hire a guide for the day. MC Tours looked really good for that but a little expensive - but maybe that is how much it is? Has anyone used them before?

Kangaroo Island is a hard one to do on a cruise ship schedule. The Ferry takes 45 minutes each way, but the real killer is that it goes from a place (Cape Jervis) an hour+ (closer to 2) from Adelaide. Then you are at American River and "everything" you want to see is at the far end of the island . . . On the other hand the Cleland Wildlife Park gets huge raves from my wife (I haven't been, she has. When you go say hi to Hazel (Koala) for her)

It is quite normal for a quick tour of Kangaroo Island to leave your hotel in central Adelaide at 6ish and return in the evening around 9. You can fly at greater cost and only marginal improvement on the time frame - get to airport fly then get around the island (slow roads) etc. Security at the airport isn't the issue just a lot of maneuvering-OZ is better seen on a less frantic pace.

Great, thanks for your suggestions. Dawn Princess sounds like it might be the winner then. And thanks for the tip on the wildlife parks we were trying to decide which one was the best as we kept hearing different ones. We also heard of featherdale has anyone been there? If we do the park in Adelaid will we have time to go to Kangaroo island though?

When you cruised Australia did you book your own tours or did you go with the ship? We normally book our own but it is sooooo hard to decide and not sure which ones are reliable or good quality - we wanted to do the Blue Mountains and there are about 15 different companies. Any recommendations would be appreciated - We like to try and find a few other couples on teh ship and join up and hire a guide for the day. MC Tours looked really good for that but a little expensive - but maybe that is how much it is? Has anyone used them before?

We have also been to Featherdale. It's a nice park but not as big as Cleland. Depending upon the amount of time you have in the Sydney area, you could do Featherdale, though. There are tours that go to the Blue Mountains and make a stop at Featherdale as well. Wonderbus is one that was recommended to us. www.wonderbus.com.au/DayTourInfo.asp However, we did not cruise around Australia. My husband has made several trips there on business and I have had the great fortune to be able to join him twice following the completion of his work, and we've vacationed for 2 weeks each time. So, we rented a car and drove once we left Adelaide and once we left Sydney. There was no need for a car in the cities, as the transit systems are so terrific.

Sadly,as Moyaroo has already said, a trip to Kangaroo Island would require more time than a day in port would allow you.

If you do decide to cruise, join your roll call and put together some groups to pursue going to Cleland or the Blue Mountains on your own. I'm sure you could find a company that would do a private charter.

We are also thinking of taking a cruise on Sun Princess around Australia next April, from Sydney to Perth. What are the seas around Australia usually like at this time of year and would the weather be more bearable in April in the Northern Territory? Many thanks.

Cruisycarol- we have already booked the March 11, 2011 28 day round Australia. I believe that is the only 28 day in the spring on Princess. If you decide on that one there is a roll call started alreay. We have sailed on Princess 3 other times and have always been very pleased with the ships and the service. If you decide to book this cruise-check out our roll call.

The only way you could possibly do Kangaroo Island as a day excursion if it is offered by the cruiseline. It is a long drive just to get down to the ferry,

If you mean Uluru in April it will be getting better, If Dawin there just isn't much difference. April is the cusp between wet and dry so it is a bit of a bet.

Thanks, Moyaroo. Not visiting Uluru, port stops after Sydney are: Brisbane, Port Douglas, Townsville, Darwin, Broome, Bali, Geraldton and Freemantle. Just wondered how the seas in the north usually are in April?

All I can say on that is seas were fine in the Coral Sea when I was there in April, but anyone's guess. I would expect waves on the south side to be more impressive due to the roaring forties effect. but not to worry (I believe that worrying is prohibited by law if not custom in Australia!)

Thanks, Moyaroo. Not visiting Uluru, port stops after Sydney are: Brisbane, Port Douglas, Townsville, Darwin, Broome, Bali, Geraldton and Freemantle. Just wondered how the seas in the north usually are in April?

You should be right, but it is still in our cyclone season. You would have to be pretty unlucky to have a cyclone.

Moyaroo & Australian Family,

Thanks to you both for your replies. I don't think I'll mention cyclones to the rest of the family, it may freak them out:eek:!!!

Previously, we've only sailed on RCI ships, but we're hoping the Sun Princess, even though an older ship, will be just as nice. The cabins do look awfully small compared to our usual staterooms, but we'll just have to acclimatize to small and bijoux. If there is plenty for our boys to do on the ship, they wont worry about not having much space in the cabin. The jumping crocodile trip in Darwin sounds like fun and it's something they would enjoy.

RCI has 2 that if you do them b2b you have a circumnavigation and a few ports in NZ. Both on the Radiance.

16 night Top End - Sydney to Perth

10/15/11 to 10/31/11

2/19/12 to 3/6/12

18 night Australia and NZ - Perth to NZ to Sydney

10/31/11 to 11/18/11

3/6/12 to 3/24/12

We're working on the budget to see which one we want to take.

With Princess you can do full circumnavigation of Australia, now including diversion to Bali either ex Melbourne on Dawn Princess (Departing 10/11/10), or departing Sydney on Dawn Princess 03/09/10, and 11/03/11.

We did the 28 days cruise on the Dawn March 6th. Many got off at Fremantle/Perth instead of going to Sydney. Weahter on our tripo was very good with calm seas the entire trip. It is cyclone season and there was a cyclone up near Darwin about 5 days after we visited this port. We took the ferry to the Sydney Zoo but found the Australian section was being renovated. We did come to Sydney to see African wildlife (thought the Zoo was very nice), Featherdale filled our need to see Australian animals. We visited on the way to the Blue Mountains.

On the Australian circum-navigation cruises the stop in Melbourne also offers an excellent opportunity to see Australian native animals at the Royal Melbourne Zoo . This you can do easily on your own . Just walk to the end of Station Pier and look for the tram (#0.109) to the CBD. Purchase on board a Met daily Travel card for Zone 1 which will cover your return travel on both tram and train . Alight from the tram at the corner of Spencer & Collins Street at Southern Cross station . Here take a suburban train (Upfield Line) and alight at ROYAL PARK station which is right at the Zoo .

On return any time after 1300 alight from the train at Southern Cross station, and catch a tram # 109 in Collins Street (Westbound) with a destination of PORT MELBOURNE .

• 2 weeks later...
...If we end up doing just half, should we go around the top or around the bottom? A lot of the places like Albany and Bunbury I can't find out much about, are they worth going to? What can you do there?...

No one has provided much response to the original question about Albany and Bunbury. We have been to the State capitals around southern Australia on Diamond Princess, and on a separate land trip spent 2 nights in Bunbury and 4 nights in Albany. There are numerous interesting places near each, and we would have been happy to stay longer at either location. However, if I were going back to just one, I would choose Albany.

Interesting places in or near Albany include the local Museum in town, and "Whale World" on Flinders Peninsula nearby. The latter was a coastal whaling station until the 1970s when whaling in Australia finally ceased; now an interesting museum. There is impressive coastal scenery in the National Park between town and "Whale World". A solemn memorial on a hill close to town (Mt. Clarence) commemorates the departure from Albany in late 1914 of convoys of ships carrying Australian soldiers to Egypt and the fateful Gallipoli campaign. A half-day trip up the Kalgan River near Albany is interesting. Alternatively, one could spend a port day travelling west along the coast to the impressive tall forests near Walpole.

Hope this information, from someone living about as far from Albany as one can get, is of interest.

John

Archived