Dress for Formal Night

dcronin

For the May Trans-Atlantic sailing, would my husband look out of place with a sport coat and tie instead of a suit on formal nights? We will be traveling in Spain at the end of our cruise and want to pack as light as possible?

Diane

For the May Trans-Atlantic sailing, would my husband look out of place with a sport coat and tie instead of a suit on formal nights? We will be traveling in Spain at the end of our cruise and want to pack as light as possible?

Diane

Short answer: No.

There will be many men wearing this type of outfit, as long as the pants are not chinos (although I have seen some of those as well). Others will wear suits and some (minority) will even wear a tux.

We are on transatlantic in April, and this is our 3rd. Simple answer is yes. Typical men dress in either tux or dark suit. I would say at least 90%. The longer the cruise, the more formal the dress for both males and females.

We are on transatlantic in April, and this is our 3rd. Simple answer is yes. Typical men dress in either tux or dark suit. I would say at least 90%. The longer the cruise, the more formal the dress for both males and females.

We've been on 6 transatlantics and there were plenty of men in sport coats and ties. Not very many in tuxedos. More in dark suits than tuxes. Per Captains Club, a sport coat and tie are acceptable for formal night.

Diane

For me, formal is formal - a tuxedo. Will he look out of place? Unfortunately, again for me, probably not. As has been said a trillion times before on these boards, no one will really care what others do. Many people, that would be me, like to think that the "Celebrity ambience" means being dressed on formal nights. Does it really matter at the end? Probably not. Enjoy yourselves.

It's true a suit weighs the same as a sports jacket and trousers but maybe the OP thinks her husband would wear the sports jacket while in Spain.

If you take a sports jacket take one as plain and dark as possible - or take a blazer.

I don't think you asked if you would be dressed appropriately for formal night, you asked if he'd look out of place. I think the answer to that is No. Not in this day and age - formal nights just aren't what they used to be on most lines.

Last thing I'd be doing on vacation is boxing up my clothes to mail home to to keep others happy on my vacation.

If you take a sports jacket and he does feel out of place, then there's alternatives to the Main Dining Room.

Diane

Contrary to what you are being led to believe, it's not a silly question. We too packed light, & on formal nights, we ate either at the Bistro or at the Tuscan Grill. (even though the Tuscan grill says formal on formal night, it was our experience that it was not) On the Europe Itn. the men are wearing either tuxes or dark nice suits for formal (although the current dress code just says suit, does not specify dark any longer) The men & women headed to the MDR & Murano really look gorgeous & it's fun to see, but there are options if you want to pack light.

As for your first question which you seem to have changed. Why is it lighter? it's not necessarily lighter to pack a sports jacket and pants, but a sports jacket usually comes in more handy in Europe so you'll get more wear out of it than a suit.

Yes, I changed my reply because it's already been covered. The OP is mentioning weight, not versatility.

;)

For the May Trans-Atlantic sailing, would my husband look out of place with a sport coat and tie instead of a suit on formal nights? We will be traveling in Spain at the end of our cruise and want to pack as light as possible? Diane

If you have to pack a sports coat anyway, it's less weight than packing a suit as well ;)

The OP is mentioning travelling with one or the other, not both. ;)

Diane

He will not look out of place. We call it "southern" formal, khaki pants, a blue blazer, a nice long sleeved shirt and a nice tie. That's what my husband wore on the Summit in 2007 to dinner on informal nights. It was like a uniform for most of the men. Formal night was formal night, everyone dressed. On our last cruise in 2009 we noticed people wearing blazers & khakis on formal night. We saw golf shirts and blazers, lots of men with no ties but a jacket. We saw someone turned away in just a golf shirt. Cruising has loosened up in the last few years. I'm not saying right or wrong but on our last cruise there were more dark suits than tuxes and there were just as many sport coats. Enjoy your cruise! There really aren't as many dress police as this board would lead you to believe.

Diane

I will answer the question asked. AND not describe what formal means to me. If your husband wants to look like the majority he will wear a dark suit. However, there will be 20% at minimum, in dark sport coats and ties. Think Navy or black sport coat with charcoal DRESS pants, white shirt and tie. If you are thinking of saving weight, no that will weigh the same as a suit. However as another poster said, the sportcoat will probably be worn in Spain, if only for warmth. A suit probably will not.

Formal night guidelines on Celebrity DO list sports coats as an option. And YES you will see them and your husband will not look out of place.

So don't let anyone guilt you or scare you into thinking you can't/shouldn't wear them.

Women wearing dressy pants or a cocktail dress ALSO are not considered traditionally formal. But they are listed as formal guidelines and alas you will see MANY.

Mailing clothes home is in the extreme. Your trip is different than the one mentioned. Renting a tux is an option if you want to spend the money. But certainly it isn't necessary.

We enjoy formal nights and my dh has stopped carrying the tux and takes a dark suit instead. Without having to carry the formal shoes, that does save weight.

Caribbean cruising does bring a less formal dress than the longer European/ Med/ Trans Atlantics.

One suggestion. I take a suit and then wear my suit jacket as a sports jacket, mixing it with light pants and so on. I quit wearing a Tux because a suit gives me more flexibility. I had a shipmate wear a bowtie with his suit and thought that was great -dressed the suit up more.

That way, you have your suit for Formal Night, and can wear the jacket with other pants, and heck, wear the suit pants without the jacket for flexibility and no 'waste'.

Denny

Traditionally on transatlantics, the passengers do tend to dress a bit more formal. There are many travelers that don't consider it a "cruise". It is a "crossing", and it really does take on a different atmosphere.

Here's a suggestion. Why not have your DH wear his sports jacket on the plane (return flight), and rent a tux while onboard. This eliminates the extra weight of luggage and he still can dress according to the suggested attire.

I will answer the question asked. AND not describe what formal means to me. If your husband wants to look like the majority he will wear a dark suit. However, there will be 20% at minimum, in dark sport coats and ties. Think Navy or black sport coat with charcoal DRESS pants, white shirt and tie. If you are thinking of saving weight, no that will weigh the same as a suit. However as another poster said, the sportcoat will probably be worn in Spain, if only for warmth. A suit probably will not.

Formal night guidelines on Celebrity DO list sports coats as an option. And YES you will see them and your husband will not look out of place.

So don't let anyone guilt you or scare you into thinking you can't/shouldn't wear them.

Women wearing dressy pants or a cocktail dress ALSO are not considered traditionally formal. But they are listed as formal guidelines and alas you will see MANY.

Mailing clothes home is in the extreme. Your trip is different than the one mentioned. Renting a tux is an option if you want to spend the money. But certainly it isn't necessary.

We enjoy formal nights and my dh has stopped carrying the tux and takes a dark suit instead. Without having to carry the formal shoes, that does save weight.

Caribbean cruising does bring a less formal dress than the longer European/ Med/ Trans Atlantics.

Can you point out where Celebrity states that sports coats are an option for formal nights? I have never seen this in any Celebrity literature.

In case "dinner jacket" is the source of confusion for you, a dinner jacket is not a sports coat. A sports jacket is not considered appropriate formal wear anywhere. Whether people choose to wear one is another issue.

Can you point out where Celebrity states that sports coats are an option for formal nights? I have never seen this in any Celebrity literature.

In case "dinner jacket" is the source of confusion for you, a dinner jacket is not a sports coat. A sports jacket is not considered appropriate formal wear anywhere. Whether people choose to wear one is another issue.

You are correct that sports jacket is not listed under their written guidelines. I am not confused with a dinner jacket.

However, their written guielines do not match what is considered "formal enough" on their actual cruises as of late. Thus the many debates here.

When discussing this with our maitre d, he admitted they don't turn away anyone without ties either. :rolleyes: He also said they are beginning to "offer" jackets to those not wearing one. Altho I never saw anyone take him up on that.

Like I said in my post, a woman in a cocktail dress or a dressy pants outfit is not considered "appropriate formal wear", as you said either. But most women choose to wear those rather than a gown. So I guess unless X decides to go the route of Cunard, what will be will be. Otherwise if women are drssing "not formal enough" for some, then men will do the same, won't they?

You are correct that sports jacket is not listed under their written guidelines. I am not confused with a dinner jacket.

However, their written guielines do not match what is considered "formal enough" on their actual cruises as of late. Thus the many debates here.

When discussing this with our maitre d, he admitted they don't turn away anyone without ties either. :rolleyes: He also said they are beginning to "offer" jackets to those not wearing one. Altho I never saw anyone take him up on that.

Like I said in my post, a woman in a cocktail dress or a dressy pants outfit is not considered "appropriate formal wear", as you said either. But most women choose to wear those rather than a gown. So I guess unless X decides to go the route of Cunard, what will be will be. Otherwise if women are drssing "not formal enough" for some, then men will do the same, won't they?

My concern was just with your statement that "Formal night guidelines on Celebrity DO list sports coats as an option", when, as you agree, this is not, in fact, the case.

I am just interested in providing new cruisers on Celebrity with correct information about the guidelines. How they interpret the guidelines is up to them.

I believe that the reason we do see some sport coats now is because some people don't know what a dinner jacket is. They think it's just a jacket you wear to dinner.

That, and the fact that some posters on this board insist that sports jackets ARE formal wear in their part of the country. :confused:

You are correct!

Yes and on semi-formal nights it was indeed sport coats and formal night suits or tuxes. Packing was a lot heavier for men in those days, I must say. For us ladies, things seem to still be pretty easy. But we were glad to see the super well dressed cruisers. Things are changing.

Archived