Icelandic Volcano?

footer6

hey guys none of this arguing is helping to get cruisers to their cruises IF there are flights going when they are booked to go, they will get, if not, they will need to see what rebooking options are there -end of really isnt it

and fingers crossed everyone who needs to get to a cruise this weekend does

Thanks for trying to keep this thread useful. Much of it has turned into trying to prove one's self right and another wrong.
I tried to provide useful info. I provided a link to ExpertFlyer which IMO is an excellent tool for anyone who flies often. I also provided info on flight availability (although at a very general level) between the UK and many major cities in the US. My guess is almost all of the people reading this thread are from the North America or Europe, and probably most are from the US and UK. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I would recommend anyone that is booked on VS (Virgin Atlantic), since they seem to be running more full than the other airlines, to see if they will endorse you over to another carrier (that is if you want to get home a couple days earlier). Airlines will do this reluctantly and only if asked to do so, and often it takes a lot of insistence. If you do get endorsed over to another airline, keep in mind that your original airline is no longer responsible for getting you to your destination. It is now the burden of the airline to which you are endorsed.

I hope someone finds this was useful.

P.S. I went back and checked, 3 from Canada, 2 from Sydney, and 1 from NZ. The rest from US, UK, or nowhere (no location in their profile).

I agree but it does look like in this case they are going to add a few flights as some current projections (due to full routes) have people stuck until june.

Five airlines have now confirmed that they are adding extra flights to help clear the decks. Many more are as well but have not confirmed it yet.

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid, Spain.

If you are an EU citizen or resident and are caught up in this volcanic mess, please remember that you have certain rights that must be protected.

If you are currently in-transit (i.e. at an airport not your home residency), you are entitled to re-routing at no charge or a refund of your unused segments if you so choose. While in the midst of this re-routing and delay, you are also entitled to meals, hotel accommodation, two telephone calls, e-mails or faxes and a right to be regularly updated as to the situation.

If you purchased air/sea from the European office of the cruiseline or from an EU travel agency, or if you purchased a combination of your cruise plus separate airline tickets but at the same EU travel agency, you are protected by the EU Package Travel Directive and the individual country laws implemented to equal or better this protection. This means that under these specific circumstances listed above, if you miss the ship because of the airline cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund if you so desire, in cash, and do not have to accept the cruiseline's offer of a future cruise certificate for the value of your missed cruise. The European offices of the cruiselines are very well aware of these laws, and no matter what they choose to publish on their websites, they will in the end, honor these laws. The same thing happened during 09/11 -- it was considered force majeure and EU passengers who could not reach their ships were given full refunds if requested.

Often, travel agencies, cruiselines and airlines don't like to advertise these rights and you may have to scream and shout to get them enforced. In the end, everybody involved here in Europe is well aware of these laws and you will get your refund or re-routing you are seeking.

Please see below and don't hesitate to ask any questions if I may be of help.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Air passengers' rights apply during ash cloud

disruption

(BRUSSELS) - Inconvenienced European travellers have the right to care and compensation even in the

"exceptional circumstances" of the volcanic ash cloud which has grounded flights, the EU said Thursday.

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas praised the "very swift and appropriate action to safeguard the

public", after airlines and aviation authorities in Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Scandinavia closed their

airspace and airports as the potentially dangerous ash cloud wafted across Europe after an Icelandic volcano

disrupted.

"This is a situation which is causing immense difficulties for passengers travelling throughout Europe," Kallas

added.

"It can be considered a very exceptional circumstance. Nevertheless, it is important to remind passengers and

airlines that EU passenger rights do apply in this situation."

This includes "the right to chose between reimbursement of fares or be re-routed to final destination," he

underlined.

There is also "the right to care" in the form of refreshments, meals and accommodation as appropriate.

Another key right, according to the EU commissioner, is the right to receive information from airlines, on

cancellations, the length of delays and the situation as it evolves.

However in such an exceptional circumstances passengers are not entitled to additional financial compensation

that would be the case where delays or cancellations were the fault of the airline, Kallas added.

The passenger rights are enshrined in EU law.

The commission advised stranded passengers to contact their airlines, "and in case of problems the national

enforcement bodies".

Air passenger rights - legislation in force since 2005

Text and Picture Copyright 2010 AFP. All other Copyright 2010 EUbusiness Ltd. All rights reserved. This material is intended

solely for personal use. Any other reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of the

copyright owner is strictly forbidden and any breach of copyright will be considered actionable.

Your posting gave me some hope, but please could you pass an opinion on this position and how best to pursue It.

I booked a Celebrity Cruises fly/cruise package for my family, 8 in all, for a Caribbean cruise with a reputable local (Norwich, Norfolk) ABTA travel agent. CC chose to use British Airways for the transatlantic flights - LHR to JFK and back, with their partner airline, American Airlines for the JFK/ San Juan, Puerto Rico legs. At the last moment they changed the return JFK/LHR flight to AA. We had no choice in these selections.

The Celebrity ship was Millenium and whilst Celebrity/Caribbean Cruises is an American company, I noticed that Millenium is registered in Valetta.

We suffered a 6 day delay in San Juan with no help or assistance of any kind from Celebrity or AA. This was at my expense which I estimate at about $4,500 to $5,000. I have all receipts but haven't totalled them yet.

All my family have travel insurance, but we have received no agreement from them that they will cover our costs.

I would like to pursue Celebrity if I can, to ensure that all my family's costs can be recovered without their having to argue with their insurers.

I have a meeting with our travel agents on Tuesday. What approach do you suggest I should take and what regulations/rules should I quote.

Regards, Johncolt.

Johncolt

IMHO I believe that you should pursue this through your travel agent who should pursue it with Celebrity. However, perhaps someone with UK legal knowledge/experience could comment.

If you have difficulties, Holiday Which made it clear on Radio 4 [You and Yours] that you should contact them for assistance.

There have been comments on these boards that, once you are out of the EU, tour operators and cruise lines may not understand their liabilities under EU/UK law. Hopefully, now you are back in the UK, there will be greater understanding. Good luck.

Sue

Archived