Icelandic Volcano?

footer6

Is this the same cruise just later in the year? How much extra /less do they want for re-booking you? Our cruise is a re-positioning cruise so we won't be offered the same itinerary unless it's next year. Hope to get our money back so we can look for an alternative.

We called Captain's Club yesterday to glean some info. Our cruise is May 7th (Baltic) but we fly out on the 4th. The best he could offer was that he hoped we had "Cruise Care" insurance. We do, but after calling them, they said that only the cruise portion would be covered at 75%. Not the airfare since we did not purchase it through the cruise line. Hard to believe that this cruise that we booked so long ago and all of our plans would be for naught.:( I am praying to the volcano gods to settle down and no more ash!!!

One good thing about the volcano

We no longer have to worry about Global Warming just Global Cooling

Volcanoes and Global Cooling

from

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/service/gallery/fact_sheets/earthsci/volcano.htm

global "warming" is actually a misnomer..it's global climate change which can cause temps to go up or down;)

global "warming" is actually a misnomer..it's global climate change which can cause temps to go up or down;)

So what are you saying?

global "COOLING" is actually a misnomer..it's global climate change which can cause temps to go up or down;)

roygg,

You say you have booked Aurora instead of Voyager. Do you know that your flight has been cancelled or are you just assuming it will be? Have you been promised a full refund? I am asking because we are due to fly to Charleston tomorrow to cruise on Celebrity Mercury on Monday. The TA will not do anything until our flight should have left and there has been no word from Celebrity. We were looking at cruises from S'hampton but are afraid to book in case it is weeks before we get any refund, if we get a refund. Any advice appreciated.

If you booked your flight and cruise as a package with X then you are being given the option to rebook any another cruise, or cancel and get a full refund.

If you just booked the cruise only, and the air fare separately, then you have to cancel the cruise and claim via your insurance.

Yes we did book fly cruise so we should be okay. Just as well as our insurance company say we would not be covered for this situation. I just want to know if we are definately cancelled and when we can make alternative arrangements. From Delta website it seems that our flight has been cancelled and the one at the same time on Monday would get us there too late for the ship. If there are no flights why can't the TA or Celebrity e-mail to say 'look for an alternative'. Probably because they want us to re schedule with them at a later date and not look for a cruise from Southampton. The problem is some of us are tied to two weeks leave at this time not later in the year.

I purchased the cruisecare package through celebrity today for our cruise June 26th. Is it my understanding that if we can't make it to London from Miami on our independently booked flight that our cruise and airfare would be covered by this package?

Today is the last day to cancel the cruise without penalty.........should we???

TD

I purchased the cruisecare package through celebrity today for our cruise June 26th. Is it my understanding that if we can't make it to London from Miami on our independently booked flight that our cruise and airfare would be covered by this package?

Today is the last day to cancel the cruise without penalty.........should we???

TD

No insurance company is covering anything to do with the volcano if the insurance was purchased after april 13th. End of story

The air has been very unpleasant here in Scotland over the last couple of days. We have sore eyes and dry mouths from the dust. Myself, husband and daughter are all asthmatics and the dust is making us wheezy.

Today was windy and the dust was blowing everywhere, we've had health warnings issued

I really hope that second volcano does not erupt :(

We are due to sail on the 7th May on the Eclipse and thankfully are not flying down to Southampton. I really feel for everyone who is stuck anywhere or who is having to cancel holidays and plans :(

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid, Spain.

If you are an EU citizen or resident and are caught up in this volcanic mess, please remember that you have certain rights that must be protected.

If you are currently in-transit (i.e. at an airport not your home residency), you are entitled to re-routing at no charge or a refund of your unused segments if you so choose. While in the midst of this re-routing and delay, you are also entitled to meals, hotel accommodation, two telephone calls, e-mails or faxes and a right to be regularly updated as to the situation.

If you purchased air/sea from the European office of the cruiseline or from an EU travel agency, or if you purchased a combination of your cruise plus separate airline tickets but at the same EU travel agency, you are protected by the EU Package Travel Directive and the individual country laws implemented to equal or better this protection. This means that under these specific circumstances listed above, if you miss the ship because of the airline cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund if you so desire, in cash, and do not have to accept the cruiseline's offer of a future cruise certificate for the value of your missed cruise. The European offices of the cruiselines are very well aware of these laws, and no matter what they choose to publish on their websites, they will in the end, honor these laws. The same thing happened during 09/11 -- it was considered force majeure and EU passengers who could not reach their ships were given full refunds if requested.

Often, travel agencies, cruiselines and airlines don't like to advertise these rights and you may have to scream and shout to get them enforced. In the end, everybody involved here in Europe is well aware of these laws and you will get your refund or re-routing you are seeking.

Please see below and don't hesitate to ask any questions if I may be of help.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Air passengers' rights apply during ash cloud

disruption

(BRUSSELS) - Inconvenienced European travellers have the right to care and compensation even in the

"exceptional circumstances" of the volcanic ash cloud which has grounded flights, the EU said Thursday.

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas praised the "very swift and appropriate action to safeguard the

public", after airlines and aviation authorities in Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Scandinavia closed their

airspace and airports as the potentially dangerous ash cloud wafted across Europe after an Icelandic volcano

disrupted.

"This is a situation which is causing immense difficulties for passengers travelling throughout Europe," Kallas

added.

"It can be considered a very exceptional circumstance. Nevertheless, it is important to remind passengers and

airlines that EU passenger rights do apply in this situation."

This includes "the right to chose between reimbursement of fares or be re-routed to final destination," he

underlined.

There is also "the right to care" in the form of refreshments, meals and accommodation as appropriate.

Another key right, according to the EU commissioner, is the right to receive information from airlines, on

cancellations, the length of delays and the situation as it evolves.

However in such an exceptional circumstances passengers are not entitled to additional financial compensation

that would be the case where delays or cancellations were the fault of the airline, Kallas added.

The passenger rights are enshrined in EU law.

The commission advised stranded passengers to contact their airlines, "and in case of problems the national

enforcement bodies".

Air passenger rights - legislation in force since 2005

Text and Picture Copyright 2010 AFP. All other Copyright 2010 EUbusiness Ltd. All rights reserved. This material is intended

solely for personal use. Any other reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of the

copyright owner is strictly forbidden and any breach of copyright will be considered actionable.

Does anyone know if insurance purchased now would cover the possibility of the other volcano, Katla, also erupting?

If the other volcano blows in the near future it would seem they were part of the same event.

If you are an EU citizen or resident and are caught up in this volcanic mess, please remember that you have certain rights that must be protected.

Gunther and Uta

Many thanks! We have heard such information on the radio but it helps to have chapter and verse printed in case it is required in the future. It will become an essential travel companion.

Sue

Am I glad I punched "Act of God Insurance"

from

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/M-Insurance.jpg

Most of the insurance companies regard this as weather related unless you purchased your policy after April 13, 2010. Most seem to be paying. Cruise care through X has never been ranked as good insurance

IMHO.

We have always purchased Cruise Care Insurance thru Celebrity thinking that if the cruise line is offering it, the policy must be good and Celebrity will back it. Now I am concerned based on dzcruisers post. Are you saying that Cruise Care will not reimburse us the fare we paid for our upcoming cruise if we can't get there due to the Volcano? We are scheduled to fly to London Gatwick on May 29th for our June 1st cruise to the Canary Islands on the Eclipse.

We have six family members total traveling so we have a lot invested.

Anyone else out there who has had to file a claim with Cruise Care? What was your experience?

Thank you,

Nancy

We called Captain's Club yesterday to glean some info. Our cruise is May 7th (Baltic) but we fly out on the 4th. The best he could offer was that he hoped we had "Cruise Care" insurance. We do, but after calling them, they said that only the cruise portion would be covered at 75%. Not the airfare since we did not purchase it through the cruise line. Hard to believe that this cruise that we booked so long ago and all of our plans would be for naught.:( I am praying to the volcano gods to settle down and no more ash!!!

Hi

I am on the same cruise. We leave Sydney on the 3rd may.

My travel insurance which is through my credit card covers natural disaster and impending natural disaster. I don't want to cancel as i have other plans after the cruise although these are all in Northern Europe.

I have also had to make arrangements re work etc so taking my trip later is problematic. Does anybody know if I can go on the next Cruise as I really want to go to this area

Cruise Lobe

Here's what I found... “AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul.” But what what I've "heard" this is still far from the actual pronunciation.

I work for a public service broadcaster here. Along with the rest of the world's media, I think you'll find that most have now defaulted to ".... the Icelandic volcano ..." :p

Archived