Icelandic Volcano?

footer6

Wow! Till now, all I had to worry about was how to smuggle alcohol onboard and which nights were the formal nights. Now I also have to worry about whether my flight will even get to Rome because of the volcanic ash from the Icelandic volcano. Where will it end?

We don't have to fly to our port, as it is right up the NJ Turnpike from where we are! That's part of the beauty of it for us!

I did think, however, of all those people who are needing to fly to get to their points of embarcation. There doesn't seem like there is any good news on this volcanic ash at the present time! I wonder what happens to those folks who miss their cruises because they can't get to where they need to go???????

We don't have to fly to our port, as it is right up the NJ Turnpike from where we are! That's part of the beauty of it for us!

I did think, however, of all those people who are needing to fly to get to their points of embarcation. There doesn't seem like there is any good news on this volcanic ash at the present time! I wonder what happens to those folks who miss their cruises because they can't get to where they need to go???????

Hopefully they purchased insurance.....

Hopefully they purchased insurance.....

How much you want to bet the insurance companies declare it an act of God and refuse to pay.

I feel so bad for the Brits who were all packed and ready to leave for the airport to fly to San Juan for their Panama Canal cruise. What a terrible disappointment that must be when you've been looking forward to a special cruise for so long.

How much you want to bet the insurance companies declare it an act of God and refuse to pay.

I feel so bad for the Brits who were all packed and ready to leave for the airport to fly to San Juan for their Panama Canal cruise. What a terrible disappointment that must be when you've been looking forward to a special cruise for so long.

If you go to the insuremytrip website, they have some good info about what's covered etc.

Wow! Till now, all I had to worry about was how to smuggle alcohol onboard and which nights were the formal nights. Now I also have to worry about whether my flight will even get to Rome because of the volcanic ash from the Icelandic volcano. Where will it end?

Unless you are transiting through one of the more northern hubs - e.g. Heathrow, Frankfurt, Skipol or Charles de Gaulle you probably don't have to worry. Direct flights to Rome, last I heard are flying.

Unless you are transiting through one of the more northern hubs - e.g. Heathrow, Frankfurt, Skipol or Charles de Gaulle you probably don't have to worry. Direct flights to Rome, last I heard are flying.

We're not going until June 1, so hopefully the problem will subside. But, yesterday most trans-Atlantic flights from the East Coast to nearly all points in Europe were disrupted.

According to published reports, part of the problem is cold temperatures, which should moderate by June.

They're cancelling flights into / out of northern Italy right now - ash cloud is drifting further south. If the wind changes as they predict it should blow north of London by Monday. It's all up to the volcano and wind currents at this point.

They're cancelling flights into / out of northern Italy right now - ash cloud is drifting further south. If the wind changes as they predict it should blow north of London by Monday. It's all up to the volcano and wind currents at this point.

The flight I am taking in June (Continental 40) left tonight, is half way across the Atlantic now, and is scheduled to arrive on time. However, there's no telling which way the winds may blow.

My daughter and her husband are stuck in Wash DC right now trying to get back to their home outside Venice. They were told they might be able to leave on Monday, but since they've had problems with United ever since they left Italy, I wouldn't count on it.

My son and 6 other Uni students are stuck in Wichita having gone out for the opportunity of a lifetime relating to a competition to research and develop - youve guessed aircraft of the future. They are all about to graduate with their masters as aeronautical engineers; but all that may not happen as they have finals assessments due in next week and exams the week after.

So they are stuck there with dwindling money, missing UK job interviews and no access to their Uni materials to work on if they wanted (its lab based)

They are young, its an adventure, but we are worried for them

Anyone in the Kansas area - they really love it by the way and say everyone is lovely

My son and 6 other Uni students are stuck in Wichita having gone out for the opportunity of a lifetime relating to a competition to research and develop - youve guessed aircraft of the future. They are all about to graduate with their masters as aeronautical engineers; but all that may not happen as they have finals assessments due in next week and exams the week after.

So they are stuck there with dwindling money, missing UK job interviews and no access to their Uni materials to work on if they wanted (its lab based)

Anyone in the Kansas area - they really love it by the way and say everyone is lovely

Hi Ann

I remember you mentioning the trip when we were on the Equinox in January. Hope you are both well, Jennifer and I have just re-arranged tommorows Transatlantic on the Voyager to Aurora out of Southampton on Monday.

I have had a little rant on the RCCL board, I guess it is frustration and hit on the pocket.

Regards

Rey & Jennifer

How awful, you must be so worried. Our kids today are all so amazing and achieve things we never dreamed of... I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed they get back really soon:)

Sue (Mother of 3 sons, thankfully all now married and the gap years are just a memory and the travelling and the rucksacks packed away;))

Hi Roy and Jennifer

Enjoy your cruise - cant blame you having a rant

Sue thanks for the good wishes, we know exactly where he is, which is often more than you know when they are backpacking and we hope Cessna may look after them, the one thing that is going to be an issue is missing some job assessment centres. The Uni should be fine, the potential employers who knows

I am sure he will have stories to tell for years to come on this one

instead of worrying about the brits worry about the americans that are trying to get to their european cruises. Like the eclipse next week.

instead of worrying about the brits worry about the americans that are trying to get to their european cruises. Like the eclipse next week.

How about we feel badly for all that are tyrying to get to cruises? This is something the majority of people never would have thought of in a lifetime that would delay or cancel their cruise. At least all are safe this way!

At the risk of sounding like Donny Downer, the Volcano (Eyjafjallajokull.... try saying that three times fast :p ) is actually increasing in activity. There's is in fact ANOTHER volcano next to the one going off now that's bigger and far more dangerous than Eyjafjallajokull that traditionally ALSO erupts when Eyjafjallajokull has a serious eruption.

The last time these puppies went off in the early 1800's it lasted almost 18 MONTHS! :eek:

This may be a serious problem for some time for Europe.

You are absolutely right A sixth - dear son was already highlighting this- the bigger one sits on the same fault and the pressure either has to cause it to blow or the current one to blow even more

We have always got to remember mother nature has the upper hand

roygg,

You say you have booked Aurora instead of Voyager. Do you know that your flight has been cancelled or are you just assuming it will be? Have you been promised a full refund? I am asking because we are due to fly to Charleston tomorrow to cruise on Celebrity Mercury on Monday. The TA will not do anything until our flight should have left and there has been no word from Celebrity. We were looking at cruises from S'hampton but are afraid to book in case it is weeks before we get any refund, if we get a refund. Any advice appreciated.

At the risk of sounding like Donny Downer, the Volcano (Eyjafjallajokull.... try saying that three times fast :p ) is actually increasing in activity. There's actually ANOTHER volcano next to the one going off now that's bigger and far more dangerous than Eyjafjallajokull that traditionally ALSO erupts when Eyjafjallajokull has a serious eruption.

The last time these puppies went off in the early 1800's it lasted almost 18 MONTHS! :eek:

This may be a serious problem for some time for Europe.

Guess I better make sure my insurance will cover volcanic activity before final payment next year. Cruise is next May. :eek::D

We have friends that are all set to leave today for or a lifetime trip through the Greek islands by land. They were waiting on word about their flight. :(

supergran - Have you checked to see if flights are leaving today? Maybe you could get on a flight tonight instead of tomorrow. You need to spend more time in Charleston anyway. :D

No flights from any UK airports until at least 7am Sunday. Our flight is due Sunday afternoon. Lots of flight operators have taken their own decision to cancel flights until Monday at the earliest. If Delta would actually cancel our flight we could look for a different holiday. It is the being 'in limbo' that's hard to cope with.

Celebrity have come up trumps offering to reschedule our trip - we were due to leave London yesterday morning - 24 hours after the complete shutdown over UK airspace. We can now relax (after an extremely nerve wrecking time of will we or won't we be going?!! I am now going to unpack!! We hopefully look forward to doing this amazing fly/cruise departing 25th June 2010 - assuming this volcano will calm down!! Is anyone else on that cruise?

The roll call for the April 19th Equinox TA is indicating that people have been cancelling the cruise since travel from GB has been shut down. Previously sold cabins are being shown as "available".

Understanding is that insurance purchased prior to April 13th will cover the event.

Archived