Icelandic Volcano?

footer6

I had heard that Barcelona (Actually most of Spain) airports had re-0pened at some point today. We are flying from Toronto To Barcelona on June 1st...would anyone like to predict how long this will strand airlines. Is it probable that the other volcano will erupt?

I am NOT predicting anything but the problem is the wind direction [from the north] rather than the volcano alone. At the moment, the UK met office is predicting the wind not changing until the end of this week when, hopefully, it will change to come from the South-West.

There is talk, at present, of using the navy to return stranded British traveller home via Spain.

Sue

Looks like Spain is the place to be flying - my boy is still stuck in USA - as far as I can see they have been sent to Minneapolis where they originally were to fly to Amsterdam from but Delta are not being very helpful

I am trying to see if I can get him on a plane to Spain and try and start some overland planning for them. Sadly it is now unlikely he is going to be back in time to prepare to do his final exam after 6 years of studying his Masters is going to be delayed and his job prospects take another knock. And to think it was the Uni that sent him to Kansas as a reward!!!

Anyone in MSP who sees 7 hungry Scots engineers - a smile will cheer them up :)

Looks like Spain is the place to be flying - my boy is still stuck in USA - as far as I can see they have been sent to Minneapolis where they originally were to fly to Amsterdam from but Delta are not being very helpful

I am trying to see if I can get him on a plane to Spain and try and start some overland planning for them. Sadly it is now unlikely he is going to be back in time to prepare to do his final exam after 6 years of studying his Masters is going to be delayed and his job prospects take another knock. And to think it was the Uni that sent him to Kansas as a reward!!!

uktog

I hope things improve for your son soon.

Sue

Thanks Sue

Just hoping we can make some progress soon

A warning to anyone else in this position - watch your travel insurance does not run out - typically students they had bought relatively cheap single trip cover through a well know UK price comparison site and it looks like it has run out so they have no medical cover now in the US and cant be insured as they have left the UK , just trying to speak with the insurers about this to get some common sense

Thanks Sue

Just hoping we can make some progress soon

A warning to anyone else in this position - watch your travel insurance does not run out - typically students they had bought relatively cheap single trip cover through a well know UK price comparison site and it looks like it has run out so they have no medical cover now in the US and cant be insured as they have left the UK , just trying to speak with the insurers about this to get some common sense

uktog

There is nothing I can find about this on the Association of British Insurers site but the following link has a number of contact telephone numbers at the bottom that may help:

http://www.abi.org.uk/Media/Releases/2010/04/Travel_disruption_due_to_Volcanic_dust_cloud__advice_from_the_ABI.aspx

Sue

Thanks Sue - the good news is, the insurance is extended foc for 30 days but only in respect of medical and baggage, they will not cover travel plans; ok fine at least he has medical cover

Here is the bad news and a warning to anyone booking their own flights for cruises

We had hoped they would be covered under EU regulations but they will not. They booked their tickets through Ex website and on the face of it, they have a KLM ticket on KLM flights to and from the USA. However of course they are not KLM flights they are Delta and the position Delta have advised me is they will refund or rebook their return flight (remember these poor guys are now in the USA) but they are not going to cover any costs or help them today with accom/food.

OK longer term, there is the travel insurance they bought, and they are porbably also covered under their Uni policy so we will get things reimbursed but at present they have very little cash and probably nowhere to sleep tonight. We have just faxed them the local hon consul details and of course I will authorise costs over the phone to my cc but the bottom line is

you may think you are protected by EU legislation when you fly to and from the USA but be very careful you are flying in EU metal

Rant over!!!!!!

Here is the bad news and a warning to anyone booking their own flights for cruises

We had hoped they would be covered under EU regulations but they will not. They booked their tickets through Ex website and on the face of it, they have a KLM ticket on KLM flights to and from the USA. However of course they are not KLM flights they are Delta and the position Delta have advised me is they will refund or rebook their return flight (remember these poor guys are now in the USA) but they are not going to cover any costs or help them today with accom/food.

you may think you are protected by EU legislation when you fly to and from the USA but be very careful you are flying in EU metal

Rant over!!!!!!

Having been on the verge a week ago of booking our flights separately, we have now decided that we are sticking to booking through Celebrity/Azamara. OK, next time it may not be a volcano but something else that we have not previously considered and confirmed that we are covered for on insurance.

Every time my mother flies to visit my brother in Vancouver something happens to put at least part of the journey in doubt. From memory, it has been fuel blockades, BA strike, snow, flights diverted due to medical emergencies, ... [she somehow missed the Heathrow T4 fiasco and I forget what else there has been].

Sue

Do you think they will allow him to still take the test at a later date? I am sure he is not the only one effected by this. Something to check out. :)

Thanks Jane

Yes the Uni will probably make arrangements but there are also dissertations to be sorted etc. I spoke to the Uni this morning but the Prof is stuck in the middle east so it is chaos there!

To be honest, I am now more worried about Delta's lack of help for them which is arising out of a ticketing technicality than anything as I would hate them to end up staying in "the wrong" sort of place

Alot of posts to read so maybe this has already been mentioned:

Once again, not trying to bum out anyone's trip.

One thing to keep in mind. Your flying to London on, let's say the 21st, and Heathrow re-opens on the 20th. You still may not get in on schedule as they have all of those who have been on hold to deal with as well as many flight crews and planes out of position. True, some travelers may have cancelled and made other arrangements, but this thing has had such a wide and lasting effect. You may well be at the end of a long line.

Alot of posts to read so maybe this has already been mentioned:

Once again, not trying to bum out anyone's trip.

One thing to keep in mind. Your flying to London on, let's say the 21st, and Heathrow re-opens on the 20th. You still may not get in on schedule as they have all of those who have been on hold to deal with as well as many flight crews and planes out of position. True, some travelers may have cancelled and made other arrangements, but this thing has had such a wide and lasting effect. You may well be at the end of a long line.

It is official everything reopens tomorrow. If you ask me they are going to have to run double flights for a few days to catch up

Not wanting to be a profit of doom BUT the situation is still subject to some review, and evidently according to the BBC website the dear volcano got more active again an hour ago

Fingers crossed for everyone that they are able to fly and that it is a safe flight for everyone

In the event passengers choose to fly into any available European airport that might have opened, and then plan to travel via train to get to their ultimate destination, check schedules first. I've been in contact with European friends in the Netherlands and in Switzerland, and I'm told that while more trains have been added to help transport people, capacity is strained.

Please check well into any land options prior to making alternative flight arrangements. I'd hate to see anyone further stranded because of overbooked land transportation too. I just thought I'd share some information.

Mary

80SRAMFAN:

I don't know where you took your information but I can tell you that NOTHING is reopening tomorrow. My husband has been stuck in London since last Friday and he just managed to get a passage on a ferry across to Rotterdam. From there he will try to get to Amsterdam and see what can be done........... The best estimate that they are given is things starting to move again by the weekend but there are hundreds of thousand of stranded passengers to reschedule. Even the QUEEN MARY 2 leaving Southampton for New York tomorrow was fully booked with a long waitlist.......... NO, nothing is reopening tomorrow.

Thanks Jane

Yes the Uni will probably make arrangements but there are also dissertations to be sorted etc. I spoke to the Uni this morning but the Prof is stuck in the middle east so it is chaos there!

To be honest, I am now more worried about Delta's lack of help for them which is arising out of a ticketing technicality than anything as I would hate them to end up staying in "the wrong" sort of place

Well I hope he is able to get home soon. If he were over here on the east coast we would volunteer to let him stay with us until he could get home, but he is nowhere close to us.

How much you want to bet the insurance companies declare it an act of God and refuse to pay.

I feel so bad for the Brits who were all packed and ready to leave for the airport to fly to San Juan for their Panama Canal cruise. What a terrible disappointment that must be when you've been looking forward to a special cruise for so long.

I am not an apologist for the insurance companies, but it appears to be an act of God.

If you ask me they are going to have to run double flights for a few days to catch up
It doesn't work that way. Those whose flights are canceled are booked on the next flight with available seats. A friend who was scheduled to return from LHR on Friday was rescheduled for Monday (today) and then subsequently reschedule to return next Friday. No additional flights.

It is a very sad situation and many people will be hurt due to the economics of the situation.

A great solution is to start running transatlantic cruises and change some of the ships' itineraries that are scheduled to be in Europe all summer. Many of the passngers are Americans and they will most likely not be able to get to Europe unless something drastically changes. These ships could end up running less than 50% full.

I would hope some of the cruise lines are considering this. I do know that these are cruise ships and not "liners" which makes a big difference, but it could be a win-win for both passengers and cruise lines (and their crew-members)...

It doesn't work that way. Those whose flights are canceled are booked on the next flight with available seats. A friend who was scheduled to return from LHR on Friday was rescheduled for Monday (today) and then subsequently reschedule to return next Friday. No additional flights.

I agree but it does look like in this case they are going to add a few flights as some current projections (due to full routes) have people stuck until june.

It is a very sad situation and many people will be hurt due to the economics of the situation.

A great solution is to start running transatlantic cruises and change some of the ships' itineraries that are scheduled to be in Europe all summer. Many of the passngers are Americans and they will most likely not be able to get to Europe unless something drastically changes. These ships could end up running less than 50% full.

I would hope some of the cruise lines are considering this. I do know that these are cruise ships and not "liners" which makes a big difference, but it could be a win-win for both passengers and cruise lines (and their crew-members)...

this is incorrecd. Most travel is open tomorrow and things will be up and running near normal for there on out once the back log is cleared. Lets hope no cruiseline is considering the irresponsible solution that you are suggesting

Archived