Where to Stay for Cape Liberty Port

Packing Light

We will be cruising on the Celebrity Summit New England/Canadian cruise leaving September 26, 2010 and need a decent place to stay for the night precruise. We are arriving at EWR the day prior to the cruise so need only one night accomodations. We are totally unfamiliar with the area so any help would be appreciated. We certainly want a safe nice area. Free shuttle would be nice but not mandatory. Doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel but something nice and in a good area not to far from where we need to be.

Thanks for any help we can get.

The Newark Airport is a highly urban area. You want to be selective about your hotel. I am seeing the Courtyard Elizabeth at $89 + tax noncancellable. Country Inns has a cruise package which is $189 ($226 including tax) for that day - this would include round trip transportation to the port. Both these hotels are near the Jersey Gardens Mall - there is a Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. I am also seeing the Sheraton for $80 ($91 including tax) - I have stayed at this hotel and would recommend it. It looks like the 4* Marriott in the middle of the airport is $99 ($113 w/tax) for that date. Take a look at Kayak.com and pay attention to the cancellation rules.

It is very easy to arrange your own transportation to the port - it's about $45-$50. Coming back there are shuttles to the airport available for $15/pp. A lot of folks stay at Country Inns, but IMO for this date it is a pricey choice.

Thanks for the info on the hotels near EWR. We will only spend one evening at the hotel and would like to be able to go to a decent restaurant for dinner. Sheraton looks nice and the fact you stayed there and recommend it is good. Is it walking distance to any restaurants other than in the hotel?

Also why is it so much less expebsive back to the airport from the ship when compared to going to the port from the airport? $45-$50 to port compared with $15 pp returning to airport.

The Newark Airport area is highly urban - a sea of confusing "spaghetti" roads that make getting around the area difficult. No nice suburban strip malls with a selection of restaurants. Whatever hotel you select, you will pretty much be stuck there unless you are willing to take a cab to a Newark restaurant (folks will make recommendations if you are interested). Walking in the area is a serious challenge.

The Sheraton has a nice dining room - good atmosphere. Unfortunately, I don't remember the dinner we had there - I'm sure it was OK. The Ramada Inn (used to be the Holiday Inn) next door has a nice pub called Teddy's. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g46671-d92487-r60914836-Ramada_Plaza_Hotel_Newark_Intl_Airport_EWR-Newark_New_Jersey.html

The reason it is usually more to go to the port from Newark is that everyone does it randomly, usually in pairs. For the return trip they have organized shuttles that collect a larger group and take them from the port the airport. You should contact Bayonne Taxi - 201-339-5000. They are the ones that run a $15/pp shuttle both ways - folks have reported making this arrangement from the Sheraton.

there is nothing around to eat by the Sheraton at all....

THere is a (lousy) Ruby Tuesday and a New iHOP near the Country Inn and Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth.......

other than that you'd have to hop a cab or call for delivery.

If you like Spanish/Portuguese food, check out the 'ironbound' district in Newark....

http://www.goironbound.com/portal/

the most famous places are Iberia Peninsula and Iberia Tavern....i haven't eaten in either BUT VERY good friends of mine (one of whom is retired Newark FD so they tend to eat well ;-) LOVE them--she is actually Puerto Rican and Portuguese so....i would go!

other than that.....stay away from Best Western and you should be OK....

A few hotels are starting to have park n cruise packages...they just need to get with the program and have transportation too...

check my blog for other info...and stop back if you have more questions...i was just in the area yesterday and may be back up there this week...not sure yet.

Thanks megr1125. Disappointed that I will need to eat hotel food unless we venture out of the area. What has your experience been with transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty and back to the airport? Seems very expensive for a short trip. Does anyone know if fares are fixed or metered?

I also may consider a shuttle if one is available from the hotel to port. I would think larger hotels may have a stop.

they are fixed fees and that's how much it costs....cabs in NJ are expensive...really it isn't a bad deal.

I use http://www.blackexecutivecars.com and have used them a few times...

there really isn't a "shuttle" per se unless you can get Bayonne Taxi to pick you up...(i have heard they do run a 'shuttle'....and it's fine i am sure. they just get nutso on cruise day so call well ahead...)

the hotels don't have shuttles unless you book the country inn package (and you'd need to call there...)

You're staying in an airport area...designed mainly for travelers to crash before/after a flight or for those that want to save money as opposed to staying in NYC....

you could also call the EWR Marriott and ask for Signature Transportation and get a quote from them---they are very nice and reasonable...but expect to pay 40-50 bucks plus tip....) 973-623-0006

If you can't arrange to go on the shuttle, then you should book a car service so you know the price in advance. Take a look at Google Maps to get a feel for the area - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sheraton+newark+airport&fb=1&gl=us&hq=sheraton&hnear=newark+airport&ei=mhrLS7XBF4SBlAe9laSOCA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCQQtgMwAw The Sheraton is the oddly shaped property that kind of looks like an arrow. It's isolated, but in Newark that is actually desirable. The lobby of the hotel is several stories of glass - the pool is right in the back of the lobby surrounded by green plants. Folks come and go at all hours - lots of airline crews use this hotel.

Don't expect any glamour at the port - it is a serious working port and looks it. However, I find it interesting to watch all that goes on in NY harbor while waiting to sail.

Hi gracee! Welcome back. Where do your plans stand now? Your choices from the Sheraton are:

1) shuttle back to the airport and airtrain to NY or airtrain to Newark and Path to NY

2) NJ transit bus from a stop very near the Sheraton to Newark Penn Station and then train or Path to NY

3) Cab to Newark Penn Station and train or Path to NY.

Or any combination of the above depending on the time of day.

Thanks 138 east! Nice to know I was missed. I have been lurking here. Had settled on the Country Inn and Suites w/ the cruise pkg, but I need to be to the ship ASAP as I must start my Day 1! So, if we end up having to take a taxi to the port anyway, it defeats the main purpose of staying at the CI&S. This looks like a good alternative. We were going to bus into the city from CI&S anyway. Rates are better at the Sheraton too. I like to know all my options. Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

We have stayed at the aforementioned Country Inns and Suites in Elizabeth (by EWR) and it was great (free shuttle to and from airport every 30 minutes). The area is not glamorous by any means, but the hotel was clean and the staff friendly, and the breakfast was delicious. It is next to an outlet mall which has a huge food court, if you're interested. We took a car service from the hotel (arranged by the front desk staff) and we were charged $50.00 for the trip, plus we tipped her 10 bucks. Couldn't have been simpler.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

EDITED to add: it's also easy to get into NYC via train or bus, if you're interested or able. Seems a shame to go to the area and not see the Big Apple. If you have time pre or post cruise, I would highly recommend taking a trip into NYC.

The bus from near the Sheraton to Newark Penn Station is about $1.50. IMO the options for going to NY from the Sheraton are a bit more flexible - it is one of the closest hotels to both Newark Penn Station and the port.

After checking the rates at the Sheraton for our 9/29 night we would be better off at the CI&S--even without the transfers. I would just feel much better knowing I can get to the ship early and not have to wait for the bus load. So I think we will stay at the CI&S and forego the transfers--it is actually less if we do it on our own. Thanks for all the info--I don't know what we would do without you!

That sounds like a good plan. IMO cruise transfers for Bayonne are overrated - the area is not like Florida. Cabs and car services are plentiful - make your own arrangements going to the port and grab a shuttle back to the airport.

After checking the rates at the Sheraton for our 9/29 night we would be better off at the CI&S--even without the transfers. I would just feel much better knowing I can get to the ship early and not have to wait for the bus load. So I think we will stay at the CI&S and forego the transfers--it is actually less if we do it on our own. Thanks for all the info--I don't know what we would do without you!

Be sure to ask the country inn &suites for AAA or AArp discount if they apply. We are paying 184. taxes included for king room, breakfast, shuttle to and from the port and 8 nights of parking.

Thanks for the suggestion - didn't know Country Inns had a shuttle to the port - I'll call them to see if there is an extra charge for kids (for shuttle and breakfast).

BTW - also saw Hilton Garden, Staten Island has a shuttle to the port.

Anyone know anything about this hotel? Tripadvisor has pretty good reviews on it..

I haven't seen or stayed in that HGI...(i saw the shuttle at the pier in Feb so I investigated...)

Generally HGIs are nice....not sure what else is around there and I don't usually go to SI (mainly since I got onto the Island once by accident and getting OFF was hard! LOL....you'll be fine with good directions and/or GPS I presume!)

It is probably closer to the port but may take 30 minutes to get there depending on traffic....

could travel all the time - What date are you sailing? Where are you coming from? Do check with Country Inns - the cruise/shuttle rate that they offer is for 2 people/king bed. They have a more expensive rate for 2 queen beds (which you would need) and they charge extra for 2 more people on the shuttle ($45 ??) as well as the 8 days of parking ($35). Folks have stayed at Hilton Garden and given good reports. I don't think they charge for extra people on the shuttle, but you will have to ask.

You have to price it all out. The parking at Cape Liberty would be $133 for a 7 day cruise. You can get a hotel room for $100-$110, so there might be no financial incentive to get involved with a hotel shuttle process. It is very convenient to go to the port on your own schedule, park the car, and be able to hit the road as soon as you disembark.

Thanks megr1125

I have been curious about this hotel but heard much about it on this board - for some reason I'm glad you saw a shuttle at the pier ...makes me think that they could be reliable...?

I've got some time still...not going 'til August...price will probably decide it for me if all things are equal.

thanks again

When you are involved with a hotel shuttle, your time is not under your control. You go when they say you go and you have to wait for them when you disembark. IMO one of the perks of driving to Bayonne is to arrive between 10:30 and 11 to be among the first to board around 12. Another perk is to be able to hop in the car when I disembark and get on the turnpike and go without waiting around.

Where are you coming from? There are options other than staying in the Newark Airport area depending on what direction you are coming from.

Archived