Price gouging from volcanic ash

woodmaster

Hello All,

I was just reading a news story about the price gouging at airports and other forms of transportation from the volcanic ash problems, in the story it mentions P&O Ferries. I know that Carnival Corp owns P&O Cruise Lines. Is P&O Ferries also owned by Carnival?

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/17/rail-ferry-prices-double-companies-deny-profitting-travel-chaos/

Thank,

Dave

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I was hoping that Carnival wouldn't be involved with this kind of behavior. Any company caught doing this should face very high fines.

Thanks,

Dave

I dunno about that, recent Star Cruisers caught up in the Valparaiso saga will tell you that some of them faced huge hikes in air prices to alternative locations.

Sky News reported that most people stranded should stick to the airlines to get them home. Under EU law they have a duty of care to feed water and house you till they can get you back home. One such stranded holiday maker - took it on himself to make his own way back to the UK to the tune of £3,000 pounds. He would recoup the loss of air fair but not likely to recoup the cost of travelling back unless he had insurance that allowed him to take this option, most folks don't have that.

I heard on one of the US cable news channels that John Cleese (Monty Python) paid a taxi driver $5100 to drive him from Oslo to Brussels, where he hopes to catch a ferry back to the UK.

Yes, that would appear to be true, info and other tales below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1266607/John-Cleese-takes-3-000-taxi-Whitney-Houston-opts-car-ferry-Britains-flight-ban-hits-stars.html

It has also been reported that a small, non-commercial airplane has crashed and caught fire in the south of the UK but it is not clear yet what caused the crash. It is now being advised for all air traffic not to take to the skies (before it was only commercial airliners)

I just checked the terms of my Travel Guard insurance. If we are delayed in returning from our cruise, we are covered under the travel delay provision for $300/day for a delay due to an act of nature.

Travelguard is the only trip insurance I've ever bought, and will be the only insurance I will buy in the future!

My hubby is stuck in Paris where he was for business. Unfortunately he hates Paris but the fortunate thing is the fact he is on company business and not on our dime. He also has a hotel room and is rescheduled for a monday flight IF they can leave then and IF the plane is there from the US to get him out. If not he was very lucky because he is a frequent flyer and because of the fare he paid to have a back up flight for the 22nd. Good luck to all you are stuck.

Are these airline delays causing people who hoped to travel from the EU to miss their cruises starting here in the US?

If a passenger notifies a cruise line at the last "minute" that they won't be able to make their cruise due to the volcano, will the cruiseline re-sell the cabin to fill the boat?

Hello All,

I know that Carnival Corp owns P&O Cruise Lines. Is P&O Ferries also owned by Carnival?

Thank,

Dave

P&O ferries is owned by DP World, which is Dubai Ports. No connection with Carnival

Brian

Are these airline delays causing people who hoped to travel from the EU to miss their cruises starting here in the US?

If a passenger notifies a cruise line at the last "minute" that they won't be able to make their cruise due to the volcano, will the cruiseline re-sell the cabin to fill the boat?

Yes, lots of people will be missing their cruises. Luckily here in the UK we have laws about what is considered a 'package' holiday. If your cruise, flights and transfers are booked as a package you get much better treatment than those making their own travel arrangements. Basically the worst case scenario would be a full refund of the holiday price.

If you are making your own travel arrangements and can't make the cruise departure, tough, its not the cruise lines fault so no refund. In this case I would expect they would try to re sell the cabin. In fact Ibelieve P&O say you can book just hours before departure if you can get to the port on time.

Just seen on television this morning that Eurostar is now charging over £250 for a train back to UK instead of £60....but they say that they are NOT cashing in!

This is standard business practice, the law of supply and demand in operation. When the supply drops the price goes up. There is nothing to be done about it.

This is standard business practice, the law of supply and demand in operation. When the supply drops the price goes up. There is nothing to be done about it.

Correct - I use Eurostar a lot. It nearly always costs more to book at the last minute - the cheap fares are for those booking early. Seems fair enough to me.

Archived