Glad I'm not going to Eroupe!

Parrothead420

Wow! How did I luck out and choose to sail on the PoA from Honolulu instead of a European cruise? I made the right choice for May 1!!!! Wooo hoo!

Not trying to rub it in to anyone........ But, what a mess over there, huh?

So, I will cross my fingers for an earthquake and volcano free cruise through the islands.

Wow! How did I luck out and choose to sail on the PoA from Honolulu instead of a European cruise? I made the right choice for May 1!!!! Wooo hoo!

So, I will cross my fingers for an earthquake and volcano free cruise through the islands.

So you're visiting the Ring of Fire, and hoping for no earthquakes or volcanoes? Isn't Kilauea one of the more interesting things to see, in Hawaii? ;)

Just last night we were at dinner with friends and we all commented on how badly we felt for people who were trying to get to their vacation in Europe. I know how devistating it must be to them to have planned and planned and to not be able to get to their cruise ship. From the US, it's not like they could drive there , worse comes to worse, like you would be able to with a US sailing. You really are just at the mercy of air travel. Hopefully something works out for everyone needing to go over there soon.

I tend to NOT be an alarmist and just go with the flow.

But, I have a bad feeling this volcano is going to continue doing it's thing for a long time. Maybe they will find a way to fly around or through it, but not feeling good about that either.

Cruising as we know it could see some big changes.

Well, OP, I'm one of the unlucky ones who is hoping to be able to make it to Europe to sail the Gem out of Venice on May 1st. I'm far from the only one as both the Gem and the Jade are currently on their European itineraries. Frankly, I think a little more sympathy and a little less gloating would be appreciated by all of us who are under a lot of stress right now.

.. Frankly, I think a little more sympathy and a little less gloating would be appreciated by all of us who are under a lot of stress right now.

sorry, but I did not see where anybody was "gloating".

"to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight"

Can I get somebody a cup of coffee?

sorry, but I did not see where anybody was "gloating".

"to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight"

Can I get somebody a cup of coffee?

Well, I just think that saying "Woo hoo, glad I'm not you" is a little unnecessary.

I feel far sorrier for those stuck far from home and unable to return. Many are running out of money. Others are in uncomfortable and possibly dangerous circumstances. Some likely face loss of jobs. Thousands of airline workers are already losing pay.

There are several cruise ships, once famous, languishing in places like Dubai which one could hope could be pushed into emergency service quickly. Some such ships used to transport ten thousand soldiers at a time across the ocean. After two weeks sleeping on the floor of an airport, I bet many folks would not be insisting on a welcome champagne drink, if they could just get home.

I feel far sorrier for those stuck far from home and unable to return. Many are running out of money. Others are in uncomfortable and possibly dangerous circumstances. Some likely face loss of jobs. Thousands of airline workers are already losing pay.

We just spent three days at Washington Dullas airport with a whole bunch of Europeans that are stuck. After day one, Air France stopped handing out lodging and food vouchers. Although, I am very upset about probably not making my cruise on the GEM, it was a reality check to see so many people in dire need. My trip insurance will cover this whole disaster but none of the Europeans that I spoke to had any assistance. Air France just told my mom and I to head home, and I was glad that I can catch a ride home.

Well, OP, I'm one of the unlucky ones who is hoping to be able to make it to Europe to sail the Gem out of Venice on May 1st. I'm far from the only one as both the Gem and the Jade are currently on their European itineraries. Frankly, I think a little more sympathy and a little less gloating would be appreciated by all of us who are under a lot of stress right now.

Hi Cynbar, I hope you make it to the Gem. My mom and I just met with an Air France manager at the airport and they basically told us to "give up the fight for a replacement ticket for one to two weeks" They had put us on a replacement flight yesterday that was also canceled. So, it doesnt look like we will be on the Gem on 4/24. I know that this is a very stressful time. We have been taking turns at the airport and on hold with Air France for three days.

I did put a hold on another cruise for 4/24 today. I am going somewhere!

My thoughts are with you!

Kim

Such a sad situation. My heart goes out to those of you who are missing their long awaited vacations. I agree with a previous poster who said it will take a while to straighten all of this out. My DH was supposed to fly to Frankfort, Germany yesterday and then onto Mumbai, India but his flights were canceled and he is here at home. His boss is trying to find another way for them to get over there but it doesn't look promising. We are scheduled to fly to Los Angeles next Sunday for a cruise on the west coast. I don't want him stranded over in Europe somewhere so hopefully the company will do a teleconference without anyone traveling.

Gosh, who would think of a volcano causing all of this disruption in Iceland?

I checked on the Century TA coming up early in May and it is BOOKED up. Looks like people are looking forward and maybe starting out to Europe a little early in case things don't work out with flights. Good idea if you have the extra time.

I am so sorry for all affected by this situation. Those whose dreams of vacation that won't happen and those trying to get home. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Here on CC I have read several threads about not travelling the day of a cruise, but rather a day or two early. Who knew this might not be enough...

There are several cruise ships, once famous, languishing in places like Dubai which one could hope could be pushed into emergency service quickly. Some such ships used to transport ten thousand soldiers at a time across the ocean. After two weeks sleeping on the floor of an airport, I bet many folks would not be insisting on a welcome champagne drink, if they could just get home.

I'm sure many would take any means of transportation at this point but unfortunately, you don't just walk out to the ship and turn it on and go! ;) The mothball fleet here takes 20 - 120 days to get up and running. And they are stored with the idea that they may need to be re-activated unlike the cruise ships in Dubai. Ships need to be stocked, fueled and, ahem, staffed. How is a crew going to get to the ship in Dubai? :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of Ship Captains, Engineers, Navigation Officers etc. languishing at the pool in Dubai waiting for work. :D

I'm not discounting your idea tho, just pointing out a few things, and who knows, if this volcano keeps up, something like that may have to happen in a month or so. Let's hope not!

There seems to a light at the end of the tunnel. Planes may be in the air soon:

CNN Breaking News

EU official: Test flights show no impact in European air space from volcanic ash that has disrupted air travel this week.

Mine is not till June so I am not sure if I should book a boat to the UK (I am from an island off the UK) then train it to Italy just in case. It would be better than missing it alltogether. I will see how the next couple of weeks go before booking a safety net.

I agree. It's unfortunate to miss a vacation, but it's far more unfortunate to be trapped in a foreign country, watching your resources slowly deplete.

I think those who attack the OP are understandably upset, but directing their anger at the OP is inappropriate.

Mine is not till June so I am not sure if I should book a boat to the UK (I am from an island off the UK) then train it to Italy just in case. It would be better than missing it alltogether. I will see how the next couple of weeks go before booking a safety net.

See, this is what people need to be doing. Fly into southern Europe, then take a train to northern Europe. Trouble is, the trains are already getting booked up due to the loss of air travel as well. Of course, since you are already in the UK, you might want to book that train sooner rather than later. Doesn't mean you can't give up your seats if you don't need them when travel day arrives. From what I am reading, this volcano could set off a larger volcano next to it! Yikes!

Hi, we're in the same boat. (haha) My dh and I are scheduled to sail from Venice on Spendour of the Seas/RC out of Venice the same day. My dh is very pessimistic and I'm feelilng about the same.

When were you planning to fly into Venice? We were leaving home on 4/27. I'm not sure when we'll make a decision or it'll be made for us. We do have travel insurance so feel lucky that way. We've looked into flying into Rome, and taking the train up, but not sure that will work.

I tend to NOT be an alarmist and just go with the flow.

But, I have a bad feeling this volcano is going to continue doing it's thing for a long time. Maybe they will find a way to fly around or through it, but not feeling good about that either.

Cruising as we know it could see some big changes.

just read today that the last time it erupted,,in the early 1800's....it kept going for 2 years!!!!

Sounds like gloating to me. Thanks for the sympathy. Hope you have a nice cruise.

We are heading TO Europe on a transatlantic on the Sun departing from

Miami on 4/26. A bit nervous about being able to get back home again...

but not enough to cancel our two week cruise and a week afterward in the UK.

If our ship sails we we will be on it and trying not to worry about the flight home! Unfortunately we are using FF air tickets so insurance won't help us should the flights be cancelled - plus many policies are reported not to be paying for cancellations due to the volcano. Trying to take the Forest Gump approach about this situation: "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get!"

Archived