Opting out of formal night

Ratdoggie

Probably in a coat and tie instead of a tux but after all these years that almost feels casual.

It's weird isn't it? We decided not to take formal to Greece but met a great bunch of people that wanted to dine together on one of the formal nights...EEK.. DH didn't have his tux, but he did have black dress shoes, black pants, sports jacket shirt and tie. He looked amazing but up against all the tuxes of the rest of the party, it just felt weird.

I have never had a problem packing the tux and accessories. They don't weigh enough or take up so much room that another suitcase is required. I always have a carry on size suitcase and a 22" suitcase and taking out the tux would not reduce my load to one suitcase.

On the current trip I also put in a sports jacket and extra pair of trousers and the total weight was 77lbs for the 2 suitcases

On Princess, some people stay dressed up, others change. Very, very few go "smart casual" to the dining room on formal nights and they are the ones with the attitude that they paid for their cruise and to heck with respecting the cruiseline's request to dress appropriately. I know they can get away with it but I question what part of "formal" dress they don't understand.

For once people are behaving themselves (at least so far) in a "formal vs. casual" thread, the inflammatory language and thinly veiled insults aren't going to help that stay the way it is.

We have not participated in formal night since our first cruise, and we rarely even visit the dining room these days. It's not just about packing lighter (we have cruised the last 2 times with one suitcase around 38 lbs and 2 small carry-ons).

This allows us to be very comfortable in mainly shorts, shirts, skirts etc. It makes for a truly heavenly and relaxing cruise. We definitely don't miss formal nights or even the dining room typically.

I will say that we respect the dress code policies and on formal nights we are more likely to spend the evening in our cabin or on our balcony after having dined in the buffet or grill. Especially when in the Caribbean, the notion of dressing up has zero appeal for us.

I have never had a problem packing the tux and accessories. They don't weigh enough or take up so much room that another suitcase is required. I always have a carry on size suitcase and a 22" suitcase and taking out the tux would not reduce my load to one suitcase.

On the current trip I also put in a sports jacket and extra pair of trousers and the total weight was 77lbs for the 2 suitcases

I see all these posts with people trying to smuggle booze on board, but they don't have room for a tux. Go figure.

I see all these posts with people trying to smuggle booze on board, but they don't have room for a tux. Go figure.

Ah, but is it that they don't have room for a tux or they simply chose not to pack one? I think if someone really wanted to participate in formal night, they'd find a way. But I do think there are many like ourselves that are just "done" with it.

They are. Don't know what the other poster was talking about.

Perhaps the Princess formal nights are always at sea days, but when we sail on the Dream in july we have the first formal night after being in the bahamas for the day...I think its a first, atleast for us, but we are still going to do formal night :)

Perhaps the Princess formal nights are always at sea days, but when we sail on the Dream in july we have the first formal night after being in the bahamas for the day...I think its a first, atleast for us, but we are still going to do formal night :)

We've done a few cruises where there's been formal night on a port day. 2 Sea Days and 3 formal nights... they have no choice. I'm surprised someone would say they always happen on sea days - Not Possible.

We've done a few cruises where there's been formal night on a port day. 2 Sea Days and 3 formal nights... they have no choice. I'm surprised someone would say they always happen on sea days - Not Possible.
True. However, if they are on a port day, it's usually an early sailing time so that passengers aren't coming back from a tour and rushing to get dressed for a formal dinner.

True. However, if they are on a port day, it's usually an early sailing time so that passengers aren't coming back from a tour and rushing to get dressed for a formal dinner.

I've had both. I remember formal night when we were in Florence until 7

If I were to bring a tux, that would mean a garment bag. Booze (beer & wine for us) can go in a regular large suitcase. I'll be bringing on a navy blue blazer (probably carry it on the plane and put in overhead) and a pair of dress pants in the suitcase. Not sure if we'll do any formal nights. But I wear a blazer into the specialty restaurants even on non-formal nights. We have a formal event next month and they're not a big deal for me.

In this day and age, formal nights are fast fading into things of the past. For those that still enjoy them, God bless you. For me, I would rather be comfortable on a vacation so I skip the MDR on formal nights and dress comfortably. Never has anyone thrown me out of the theatre or a lounge. Let a nice thing (formal nights) just die of old age. It's from the past.

In this day and age, formal nights are fast fading into things of the past. For those that still enjoy them, God bless you. For me, I would rather be comfortable on a vacation so I skip the MDR on formal nights and dress comfortably. Never has anyone thrown me out of the theatre or a lounge. Let a nice thing (formal nights) just die of old age. It's from the past.

I don't know what ships you've been on, but on the ones I've been on formal nights are alive and well. The ladies never look lovlier and the men more studly than when they're dressed to the nines. Of course, the tee shirt crowd exists and they're welcome to it, but there will always be people who dress with style and many of them cruise. Tuxes are perfectly comfortable if they are properly fit, by the way.

Amazing isn't it! ONLY those who disdain dressing formal, say "formal nights are fast fading"! Hey -- you have already made a decision. Those 4 or 5 keep posting repeatedly on these forums to give an impression that there is a "groundswell" growing against formal nights. There is no such thing -- it exists only in your mind.

Those 4 or 5 keep posting repeatedly on these forums to give an impression that there is a "groundswell" growing against formal nights. There is no such thing -- it exists only in your mind.

I disagree with that. I think there's definitely been a movement over the past few years away from formal. You have Azamara and Oceania that never had formal, Regent just did away with them, Carnival stopped them, Seabourn now doesn't have any on cruises of 7 nights. HAL and Celebrity did away with the Semi-Formal nights. And other cruise lines are putting in more and more options for those that chose to not participate. Celebrity even changed their staying formal throughout the ship rule.

I'm all for anyone wanting to dress formal, but I do think there's a trend here and it's not moving towards formal it's definitely moving away.

Amazing isn't it! ONLY those who disdain dressing formal, say "formal nights are fast fading"! Hey -- you have already made a decision. Those 4 or 5 keep posting repeatedly on these forums to give an impression that there is a "groundswell" growing against formal nights. There is no such thing -- it exists only in your mind.

Hardly so when I read the comments of others on this board. There certainly is a change of attitude among some people although you certainly don't have to agree.

I disagree with that. I think there's definitely been a movement over the past few years away from formal. You have Azamara and Oceania that never had formal, Regent just did away with them, Carnival stopped them, Seabourn now doesn't have any on cruises of 7 nights. HAL and Celebrity did away with the Semi-Formal nights. And other cruise lines are putting in more and more options for those that chose to not participate. Celebrity even changed their staying formal throughout the ship rule.

I'm all for anyone wanting to dress formal, but I do think there's a trend here and it's not moving towards formal it's definitely moving away.

You took the words out of my mouth. Lets see if Princess will be the next to follow with formal optional dining room for those who wish to be on a comfortable vacation without having to pay extra to haul the formal clothes along for only 2 nights.

Except for LARGIN, those who say formal nights are way of the past are only those who no longer participate in formal dress! Go one by one through all the posts above! And fortunately, more of them show "respect" for the formal dress by not going into the MDR without at least a jacket. But then there are 3 or 4 who evangelize the attitude that "a (long sleeve?) shirt and dockers are enough. Yesl it does gain you admission into MDR but is it an acceptable standard?

Amazing isn't it! ONLY those who disdain dressing formal, say "formal nights are fast fading"!

There is no such thing -- it exists only in your mind.

Even though I am a proponent of Formal night I have to agree with Cruise Junky. I only hope that Princess does not "dumb down" too much.

Hardly so when I read the comments of others on this board. There certainly is a change of attitude among some people although you certainly don't have to agree.

You took the words out of my mouth. Lets see if Princess will be the next to follow with formal optional dining room for those who wish to be on a comfortable vacation without having to pay extra to haul the formal clothes along for only 2 nights.

Agreed, although it is hard for the tradtionalists to recognize.;)

Except for LARGIN, those who say formal nights are way of the past are only those who no longer participate in formal dress! Go one by one through all the posts above! And fortunately, more of them show "respect" for the formal dress by not going into the MDR without at least a jacket. But then there are 3 or 4 who evangelize the attitude that "a (long sleeve?) shirt and dockers are enough. Yesl it does gain you admission into MDR but is it an acceptable standard?

I've said this before, the few hundred people total that post here in the formal vs. casual threads on either side of the debate don't reflect accurately the millions of people that cruise every year. This is primarily a subset of the more dedicated, long-time cruisers and not representative of the entire cruising population. Obviously many other cruise lines have decided that the future is trending towards less formal cruising experiences by their actions, I'd rather Princess give the choice by offering a casual, sit-down dining experience that doesn't cost $20-25 extra per person while keeping formal nights an option for those that enjoy them. Most of their ships have multiple dining rooms, it's time they split them off on formal night. But as of now, for many of us that don't participate in formal attire, the other options are not acceptable.

I'd be willing to bet RCL is the next to drop them. Princess will hold off for a while.

Archived