I'm grow weary....

Danno

I think this cruise line is beginning to wear me out...it just seems that day after day, week after week, month after month, new (and stupider) concepts are rolled out in an effort to take all the "special" out of cruising. This is not limited to RCI, but they are well on their way to becoming leaders in this field...to the credit of this group I think we have, in a minor way, staved off a few of the changes, but on the whole these changes will proceed if they in any way enhance the bottom line.

Just a few...

i) cell phone links on ships. (the worst idea yet)

ii) evening entertainment for a fee.

iii) enhanced dining for a fee.

iv) "free style" dining (not this line thankfully...yet)

v) constant, never ending, intrusive, onboard marketing of products and services.

vi) straying from the NO ANNOUNCEMENTS policy.

vii) on ship "telemarketing" over cabin phones (I just heard about this one).

viii) selling water in the dining areas.

ix) a snow storm of junk mail under my stateroom door!!

x) Just when we thought the C/Club couldn't get any more diluted, C&A was added.

xi) non-enforcement of rules...nothing new, but still not taken seriously.

etc, etc, etc.....

As tiring as it may be, I will soldier on (with all due respect to real soldiers)...I am not yet ready to give my favorite vacation over to bean counters. I expect I'll lose, but I'll have my say....

Danno: Your going on the negative side. This is getting to be a regular topic with you.

Try to relax and forget about what the management is trying to do.

Be like Newt.

Well maybe not exactly like him.

RCI is just trying to broaden their market appeal and their income flow.

Like any other business would try to do.

Maybe even yours.

Danno. In general I like personal choice options such as the specialty restaurants. There are several cruiselines available and maybe one will appeal to you more than Celebrity. For me it's Celebrity. I agree with you on the cell phone idea. I would prefer that the live zones be very restrictive.

Well, I don't think any of this is breaking news. I've only been cruising since 1998, but most of the above (except cell phones) has been in existence starting with my first cruise.

I'd like to say that I like the added fee dining, it's nice to have an opportunity to get away from the banquet food. You have to make your choices, no one is forcing you to purchase anything other than your cruise fare.

Danno: Your going on the negative side. This is getting to be a regular topic with you.

Be like Newt.

Well maybe not exactly like him.

RCI is just trying to broaden their market appeal and their income flow.

Like any other business would try to do.

Maybe even yours.

Actually I'm not being negative...I'm VERY much looking forward to Century in 3 weeks. I just really want to be able to say this in 5 years.

Like NEWT??....oh darn :eek: !!

Not like my business...I provide the best product I am capable of, then price it accordingly. But I don't think it's fair to compare RCI with my venture. They have bigger concerns than I have.

Hey, I'm with Danno on this. I've yet to sail on Celebrity, but who wants to see cell phones on a ship? Seriously...it's a vacation...do you NEED to talk to someone 24/7? And I dislike fee dining...just me. I'm an "all inclusive" type of guy. But as long as there's quality dining that I'm going to not have to pay extra for, then I don't care if they add it. So long as they don't subtract the dining that is already there. And some of the other stuff is just ridiculous as well.

My opinion.

Why not also point out the positive aspects of cruising? Surely there are some newer enhancements that have contributed to your overall cruise experience.

I'm sure the list of positives outweighs the negative one's you're mentioning.

Most of the negative items you mention have choices, ie, dining for a fee (optional), fee for entertainment (optional), etc.

I really don't get the reason for your post, sorry.

SDCruiser

While I agree with Danno that a lot of those "negatives" are very annoying, many are revenue producers for the line(s), but the spending is discretionary. I am very happy (thank you very much) to pay $599 for a one week cruise to the Caribbean and say "no, thank you" to all of the wares they are hawking, rather than have to pay $1500, or more, for a week's cruise that once upon a time included all of those "extras". I get to go 2 or 3 times a year, rather than once. But most importantly.....the sea is just as blue, the temperature just as balmy, the beaches just as inviting and a good book and a comfy deck chair just as relaxing, and after all......those are the reasons I take a cruise. I say bring the fares down even more and increase the discretionary spending options that I can just say NO to!

Marco...perhaps it's because I can't cruise more than once a year...I would gladly pay more if my privacy was respected.

There is every chance that I am not the type of pax that X sees in it's future and perhaps that's why I find these things annoying...they were never put in place with people like me in mind. That being the case, I should be the one to leave. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to this, but I will understand if it does.

HI DANNO!!!

I think we all agree...the marketing has gotten out of hand. This is what happens when airline executives become cruise line executives. The cruise industry was built on traditions from the Transatlantic Liners of yesterday and now they are straying away to new (and weirder) places.

I do want to point out, however, that the addition of the Crown and Anchor is, in my opinion, a good thing, based upon our experiences onboard the JEWELL OF THE SEAS last October. The Concierge Lounge on some of the RCI ships is a great improvement compared to Celebrity. This is one benefit that does not exist on Celebrity ships. We really enjoyed the complimentary coffees, pastries, hot hors d'ouvres and especially the complimentary open bar that was served every evening. It was a great place to meet new cruisers who, because of their status, 10+ cruises with RCI, were fellow cruise enthusiasts like ourselves. This benefit is better than anything the Captain's Club has ever offered and we enjoyed our Concierge, N-Pho, who kept us well feted, entertained and informed...the Concierge Lounge is a plus...if you are going to try RCI. At this point in time...I really can't see any real benefit/s given by the Captain's Club...it is nothing more than a glorified repeat cruisers party with big crowds.

ROSS

"There is every chance that I am not the type of pax that X sees in it's future and perhaps that's why I find these things annoying...they were never put in place with people like me in mind. That being the case, I should be the one to leave. "

Danno, I see your point and I agree but, of course, it isn't just RCI. NCL for instance is just as guilty or more so. What I don't understand is why every cruise line seems to be trying to be the same. Why can't one cruiseline cater to the people who like all-inclusive type vacations while another caters to people who want to pay bare minimum fare and pay for any extra's they select on board. I suspect the reason is that no matter what any of us say most cruisers still pick their cruise based on the price they see listed. It will take quite a bit of education to show them that the cruise listed at a higher price may work out cheaper after you consider all the add ons. I guess the cruiselines have decided it is easier for them to attract customers with lower prices and try to up their revenue once they have you on board.

I don't like this much but I am afraid that as the Borg would say " Resistance is futile..."

I tend to agree with Danno on this point. Why try to be like the others...innovation is good, but so is tradition. We choose to have a high end cabin on X rather than a low end cabin on Seabourn and Silversea because X still offers a great premium FEEL...if X becomes common then we will probably just move on and have more cramped quarters.

The cell phone issue is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. For me, a cruise is absolute isolation from the "real world". I truly do not wish to hear someone telling their secretary to schedule this or that, or hear people talking to their friends about the cruise...send a postcard. Designated cell phone areas would probably be as effective as the designated smoking areas.

Although I haven't eaten at any alternative restaurants (not necessarily because of the fee, but because I hate to dress up on vacation:) ), I think that if they didn't have the fee, demand would be too high and many people would be disappointed if they were unable to partake of a free offering.

As far as airline execs. running cruiselines...he has done pretty good so far; the ships are full and the stockholders certainly aren't complaining. I am biased though. ;)

Rick...going on my 10th cruise tomorrow!

Actually I'm not being negative...I'm VERY much looking forward to Century in 3 weeks. I just really want to be able to say this in 5 years.

Like NEWT??....oh darn :eek: !!

Not like my business...I provide the best product I am capable of, then price it accordingly. But I don't think it's fair to compare RCI with my venture. They have bigger concerns than I have.

I will stand corrected on this.

But...

Don't look for the negative.

Smile... Be happy...

Your on the Cruise...... ;)

Hey, I'm with Danno on this. I've yet to sail on Celebrity, but who wants to see cell phones on a ship? Seriously...it's a vacation...do you NEED to talk to someone 24/7? And I dislike fee dining...just me. I'm an "all inclusive" type of guy. But as long as there's quality dining that I'm going to not have to pay extra for, then I don't care if they add it. So long as they don't subtract the dining that is already there. And some of the other stuff is just ridiculous as well.

My opinion.

Not taking anything away from your reply.

Leebo - I would really like to see what you think - differances - between both lines when you get back.

and a few ideas for them:

#1 Adults Only! Let RCCL have the families so many of us that cannot stand the runnign, yelling, screaming kids as their parents act that they are not theirs.

#2 Hate to dress for dinner, so eat in your stateroom, one thing CC category is & that is to spoil us. When we are tired from an excursion or doing everything with no break onboard, I just want to sit, enjoy a great meal without having to shower, dress, put on makeup, etc. We can do this on our balcony with the dining room coming to us with luxury from tablecloths, to the dinnerware, having our steward turn into a butler serving us our meal. Even plain rooms service can do it but they inly have the items in the big black book or TV, not dining room menus.

#3 DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE! Telemarketers can be stopped with a comment to the Guest Relations Desk. We do not take them as telemarketers until the foreign lady & her art auction had me telling her to put us on her DO NOT CALL ANYMORE LIST & it worked. We let voicemail take calls until it is someone we want to hear from then we pick it up & talk.

Just a few examples of items that Princess or Carnival cannot do which Celebrity takes great pride in doing. They know how to spoil me, tho they call it treating me famously without the papparazzi.

Hey Longboysfan...I'll post my critique about my experience when I get back. I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

I actually have no problems with additions if it's going to cut the cost, but as long as it's an addition and not a subtraction. Like taking away the entertainment and making people pay for it (not sure if this is what they are thinking of doing, but I'm using it as an example) is not something I'd like. I'm just starting my cruising experience and would like to see the traditions kept. Plus, I don't want to go on a cruise and have to be "on call" for the company I work for while I'm on it.

But for the most part, I can ignore the stuff I don't like. Cruising the caribbean was the best vacation I've ever taken, bar none. I don't think anything will beat a good cruise.

This is the 1st time that I have heard about an added fee for some of the night time entertainment. Would someone please enlighten me? TIA :)

That would be the fee for the Cirque du soleil experience, no other fees have been added for entertainment.

Don

Do not give up the fight!

Have your voice be heard!

The marketing to the mass market pendulum will swing both ways...When RCI begins to find dissatifaction with their loyal customer base, they will begin to listen...but only if we keep telling them!

Our recent trip on the Rhapsody of the Seas...talked with the CD, the loyalty person and the Purser.....

Enforce dress code on Formal night....no cut-offs or tank tops

Base upgrades on loyalty membership AND track onboard spending habits...upgrade those that spend $$$ once on the ship.

Cease using the phone system to sell stuff!

Don...correct me if I'm wrong but I think several cruise lines have booked "headliners" and have charged a cover charge for the evening....thankfully it flopped, but I would expect it's simply gone back to the drawing board until it can be made work.

Danno-

Considering another line might be the answr to your concerns. For instanvc,Radisson where there is no charge for bottled water,no nickel and diming,no telemarketing, no junkmail under cabin door, no tipping etc etc.

Yes it costs more(not so much more when they run specials i.e. 2-for-1) but if these things really bother you that much,then mass market may not be for you anymore.

I should have clarified my statement about hating to dress for dinner. We now get a cabin with a seperate dining area and we eat our dinner either in the dining room in the cabin or on the balcony. We DO NOT disrupt the dress code as I think it is a good tradition to uphold for those who choose to do so...we have just adapted.

Actually I am bringing formal clothes for tomorrows trip in case we get invited to the Captain's table. We got invited on our last cruise but I didn't have the clothes and, unfortunately, had to decline. If we don't get invited, no big deal. We really take advantage of the Butler service and this is why we prefer X. (because we don't eat in the dining room, we pool all of the affiliated dining room tips and add them to the normal tips for the butler...and then some!:) )

Considering another line might be the answer to your concerns. For instance, Radisson where there is no charge for bottled water,no nickel and diming,no telemarketing, no junkmail under cabin door, no tipping etc etc.

It sounds like Radisson is just what Danno's looking for. It's more expensive, but he seems to be willing to pay more, and their service reputation is well-known.

Archived